General Discussion Race Reports! » Angels Race Sprint Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Angels Race Sprint Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
United States
Set-up Inc.
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 21s
Overall Rank = 272/332
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/17
Pre-race routine:

Did something different this morning. Decided since I was so run down this week I would get up this morning and try to eat before the race. Which I have never down before. Ate 2 pieces of PB toast and gatorade at 5:30. Packed up and left for the race.
Event warmup:

Never really got a chance to warm up. Got in the pool about 5 minutes before start and did a few laps. Plus to get used to the water in the outdoor pool.
Swim
  • 06m 55s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Time is so long because of the run through the kiddie pool. Jeff's is a more accurate swim time for just the laps:6:55
What would you do differently?:

I would warm up more. As I went in to swim they asked everyone to get out. I should have gotten there as early as Christian did!!!!!!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Considering how bad I knew my swim was I feel that this was especially good. I didn't let the poor performance affect the rest.
Bike
  • 46m 16s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Starting my second loop Christian came up on my left and we chatted for a bit about the up coming hills. I kept him in site as I finished up my second lap.

I feel I have finialy mastered the gears and shifting. This bike felt really good and I am happy with it. I was a bit worried about the dismount line, which was at the top of a short hill. I jumped off a bit early.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Run
  • 37m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried the 5:1 Galloway method. Using my walks for the up hills. Which I feel really helped my run. I still need more work and will be focusing on this over the winter.
As I approach the finish line I see the kids and Jeff there. All three kids crossed the line with me.

PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Stetching and water waiting for Christian to run in!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't think being sick this week helped much. Though there was not much I could do about that.

Event comments:

Just want to Thank Jeff and the kids for their support. Also Shannon and Christians dad for all their cheering. Mark (wakeman) came out and cheered us on also which was awesome.

I have also used Jeff's times in this report. The times given on the website included T1 & T2. I don't need the extra time included just makes me look slower!

Last updated: 2005-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:55 | 300 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/17
Overall: 233/332
Performance: Below average
Suit: Grape w/ raspberry Jam tri suit
Course: Lap pool, up and back except for the last which was a half lap with the exit through the kiddie wading area.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:16 | 12 miles | 15.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/17
Overall: 240/332
Wind: Little
Course: Was a two lap course. The first part was a long gradual up hill. Once you got past that it was fairly easy. With a majority of it a snakey down hill. The worst part of this course was the last up hill. It was a long steep up hill. Had to come up out of my seat for it.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:34 | 03.1 miles | 12m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/17
Overall: 305/332
Course: The first mile was about 90% down hill and it was on pavement. With two slight inclines. Then there was a flat section that was on a dirt path. With a big loop at the end in the sun. You got to run the dirt path that was shaded twice. Then there comes the sucky part. All of that down hill turns to uphill. With at the very end right before you round the corner to the finish line there was a bridge that had big roots on an incline. After that you were on open field with the finish line right in front of you.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-19 4:13 PM

User image

Graham,NC
Subject: Angels Race Sprint Sprint Triathlon

2005-09-19 4:39 PM
in reply to: #249613

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Angels Race Sprint Sprint Triathlon
Nice race Denise...esp after being sick the week before.  So cute the kids ran the finish with you.  Hope youhad a good time and glad you are winning the battle with the bike.  Take care -SMO
2005-09-19 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
WOO HOO!!  You're OFFICIAL now!!   Congratulations on a awesome race, and a great season of training!! You've worked your butt off since St. Anthony's and I am SO proud of you!! 
2005-09-19 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Ya know...this race was a great step up for you from both Meek and Mighty and then UNC Wellness.  Looks like the swim was tough, but ya know...you did good.  You still stayed in the 2:08/100y range which is just fine for you.  Your bike is where you really started to step things up.  14.54 mph in UNC.  14.9 at Angel's race.  Great improvement!!!!

Great job on this race sweetheart!  You're looking great!

2005-09-19 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran

You did GREAT!  Your improvements are awesome...heck, I could tell from just watching you race in on the bike and fly in on the run that you were feeling AWESOME!

Congratulations on an EXCELLENT race!

2005-09-20 11:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Way to go Denise! I do not know why I kept missing your report but I finally found it. I would trade my first swim time for yours any day! ( I am sure it was the excellent coach you have) Way to stick with the plan on the run. Limited practice always means you should be conservative and it worked out well for you. I told Janet this was your first tri and she was excited for you as well. Congratulations!

Fred

2005-09-20 3:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH

Congrats on your race.  It was nice to see you and Jeff at the finish. 

We should get the NC group together for a training ride or dinner or something.

2005-09-20 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
You did awesome Denise! It was fun cheering you on! Hope to see you soon at another event! Keep on Rocking!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Angels Race Sprint Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed