General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elevation gain vs Elevation variation??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-30 9:58 AM

Subject: Elevation gain vs Elevation variation???

Please explain these terms to me.

I see both terms used when referring to runs (and biking).  I would think an out and back run would have net zero elevation variation (obviously Garmin's may not be exact).  That said, when a race course is listed as "little elevation variation", do they mean not many hills?  Or do you think it refers to "elevation gain" which I take to mean hills.  I ran a half marathon where my Garmin showed 641 ft of elevation gain and 727 of elevation loss.  Everyone complains this particular half is hilly and the one I'm running in a few weeks is said to be flat with 40 feet of "elevation variation".  I certainly lose more time going uphill than I gain back on downhills.

2011-09-30 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3706406

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Elevation gain vs Elevation variation???
jkintn - 2011-09-30 9:58 AM

Please explain these terms to me.

I see both terms used when referring to runs (and biking).  I would think an out and back run would have net zero elevation variation (obviously Garmin's may not be exact).  That said, when a race course is listed as "little elevation variation", do they mean not many hills?  Or do you think it refers to "elevation gain" which I take to mean hills.  I ran a half marathon where my Garmin showed 641 ft of elevation gain and 727 of elevation loss.  Everyone complains this particular half is hilly and the one I'm running in a few weeks is said to be flat with 40 feet of "elevation variation".  I certainly lose more time going uphill than I gain back on downhills.

You're correct in my book. With a start/finish in the same spot, there wouldn't be a net gain/loss. I refer to a course in terms of how many feet of climbing instead of variation. In my mind that tells me how hilly it is, b/c I'm assuming the course is a net zero (unless it's spelled out as a point to point race like Boston Marathon)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elevation gain vs Elevation variation??? Rss Feed