General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming for a true beginner... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-02 10:47 PM

Subject: Swimming for a true beginner...
Hey everyone! I run and bike my tail off, but I want to try a tri next summer - however, my swim skills are nonexistent.

I can get about 25 meters on a freestyle, then switch to backstroke for what seems like forever.

My biggest problem is a lack of an extreme beginner workout plan - something that truly babies me into the sport.

Any thoughts? Is it as simple as just going as far as I can until 400 meters? I'm having trouble finding information on a true introductory swim plan.

I'm the type of guy that needs a plan, desperately, or else I lose focus.

Any advice, head shaking, or anything else is welcome.

Thank you!

Daryl

2011-10-02 11:12 PM
in reply to: #3708607

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Swimming for a true beginner...

So many people here including myself can remember getting in the pool and barely being able to do 25 meters without gasping for air and stopping.  I was one of them.

While i cant recommend any specific plans, i got myself to around the 200m mark by making sure i was swimming atleast twice a week and trying to push my limits

After that, i spoke with the masters swim instructor at my local facility and now swimming is incredibly enjoyable and our masters sessions are around 3000m a few times a week (i just love it)

I spent alot of time on youtube and sites like this trying to find anything that would help me get better.

Hopefully someone can give you something more specific than i did here, but you should know that your swim skills being 'nonexistent'  is not out of the ordinary.

Edited by chrishayward 2011-10-02 11:13 PM
2011-10-02 11:25 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

Been there!  I would recommend getting individual lessons at your local Y or health club to work with you on  developing a correct stroke.  After a handful of lessons, you should have a basic approach, then can simply start building endurance.  It's always helpful to go back for additional lessons to critique/improve your stroke.

Once you have the technique down, there are tons of beginner plans out there.

2011-10-03 5:11 AM
in reply to: #3708631

User image

Melon Presser
Swimbikeron - 2011-10-03 1:25 PM

Been there!  I would recommend getting individual lessons at your local Y or health club to work with you on  developing a correct stroke.  After a handful of lessons, you should have a basic approach, then can simply start building endurance.  It's always helpful to go back for additional lessons to critique/improve your stroke.

This is exactly it. Swimming for the beginner is primarily technique based; hence, it's really important to get instruction and feedback on your stroke. If you have the coin, I'd suggest seeking out a triathlon or open-water specific swim coach (or who has experience in it), but if you're truly starting out, even group lessons at a local Y will get you a good bit of the way there.

If these are just not possible or available, post video of yourself swimming on youtube (ask what shots to get/how) and we can help you from there.

In any case, read, think, memorize, reread:

Bigfuzzydoug's Ten Points to Swimming
2011-10-03 5:28 AM
in reply to: #3708669

User image

New Haven, CT

Been there - i used the total immersion program (DVDs books) to get started and that brought me from puke in the gutter after 25 yards to 1 mile no problem in about a month.  Speed came later

2011-10-03 6:37 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I'm still there... first of all, I'm hydrophobic, i.e. I panic when my head gets under the water. I was pretty much planning to stay on solid ground forever and stick to duathlons (still love Du's though!), but as I can find fewer and fewer local races and on top of that at least one that I was planning/sign up for, was cancelled, I decided to give tri's a shot.

I can do 25m freestyle with my head above water, but after that I'm exhausted. I've now completed my first tri season swimming breast stroke with my longest (in race) swim being .5 mile. Yes, I am extremely slow and pretty much always one of the last out of the water, but I can bike and I can run, so I make up most of the time (except on the top 5-10). Just keep racing and you will get more comfortable and faster and eventually, you will swim well.

The beauty of triathlon is that you can have a weakness in one sport and overcome that with strengths in the other two. Granted, if you plan to place or win, your weakness can only be so weak, but you don't need to be a top contender in each of the three sports.

Edited by audiojan 2011-10-03 6:39 AM

2011-10-03 8:11 AM

Master

Total Immersion is the best book if you can't even go the distance. It'll get you to swimming a mile (albeit very slowly) very quickly and focusing on correct body position in the water. The drills work. 

2011-10-03 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3708621

Veteran
Ohio
chrishayward - 2011-10-03 12:12 AM

So many people here including myself can remember getting in the pool and barely being able to do 25 meters without gasping for air and stopping.  I was one of them.

While i cant recommend any specific plans, i got myself to around the 200m mark by making sure i was swimming atleast twice a week and trying to push my limits

After that, i spoke with the masters swim instructor at my local facility and now swimming is incredibly enjoyable and our masters sessions are around 3000m a few times a week (i just love it)

I spent alot of time on youtube and sites like this trying to find anything that would help me get better.

Hopefully someone can give you something more specific than i did here, but you should know that your swim skills being 'nonexistent'  is not out of the ordinary.

X2  Yes, getting instruction will help alot, but there is also no substitute for "doing it".  Get to the pool as much as you can.  I started out a year ago in the same place (couldn't make it 25y), and am now up to 1500y in my morning set 3x per week.  Swim as many days as you can and keep pushing yourself to go further each time.

2011-10-03 10:06 AM

I like to start each morning swim using a kickboard. I am not one to dive into the pool and start swimming laps -- I like to get used to the idea first. You might try kicking 25 yards 4 times. If that is too easy you can add more.

The next thing I like to do is use the pull bouy. That is the thing you put between your legs to help your bottom half float so you can concentrate on just using your arms -- don't kick. You might try this 4 X 25 until you get stronger.

After that I like to get into the actual swimming stuff. If you are brand new you might want to do some drills to improve your stroke, then move on to the swimming part.

2011-10-03 10:10 AM

User image

Regular

I was where you are in May.  Get some lessons and put time in at the pool.  Be sure to check out the instructors qualifications it'll save time and money.  I still have a long way to go but Friday I finally put enough together to do 300yds after some drills.  Going to try to push that this week.

2011-10-03 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3708669

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
TriAya - 2011-10-03 6:11 AM
Swimbikeron - 2011-10-03 1:25 PM

This is exactly it. Swimming for the beginner is primarily technique based; hence, it's really important to get instruction and feedback on your stroke. If you have the coin, I'd suggest seeking out a triathlon or open-water specific swim coach (or who has experience in it), but if you're truly starting out, even group lessons at a local Y will get you a good bit of the way there.

If these are just not possible or available, post video of yourself swimming on youtube (ask what shots to get/how) and we can help you from there.

In any case, read, think, memorize, reread:

Bigfuzzydoug's Ten Points to Swimming

+ whatever.

Mainly, get lessons. When I started I signed up for a program designed for kids as it was all I could find in my area at the time. Nothing beats instant feedback, and even if it isn't perfect, it's going to be a step up from most all the alternatives.

Also, don't give up... it's frustrating at first, and unlike some sports, the harder you try doesn't necessarily produce any better results.

2011-10-03 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran

This plan seems reasonable http://www.ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html and if that is too advanced this one http://www.ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html

If you have never been formally taught how to swim I would get lessons.  The chances of you being able to teach yourself how to swim are slim. If you know how to swim already and fitness is the issue I would swim the plans above.

When I got into tris I already knew how to swim but hadn't in many years and lacked any endurance.  I barely made it across a 50 meter pool.  I increased the distance and endurance session by session and could swim a mile nonstop within 10 weeks.  However this would not have been possible if I did not have a swim background.

2011-10-03 12:29 PM

Central Ohio

My local YMCA has "Adult/Teen Swim Lessions" which I have found to be very helpful as a beginner.....They come in blocks of 7 - 8 weeks long.  Classes are once a week.  The feedback is good, the instruction is good, and I'm usually in the class with only 1 or 2 other people.  For the money, it is pretty cheap swim instruction.  I recommend telling them that your goal is to do triathlons, and that you'd like to focus on that in your instruction, i.e. learn basic freestyle, build endurance, etc..

2011-10-03 1:10 PM

Regular
Tucson
I to was amazed when I jumped in the pool for the first time June 6th of this year.  I could run for 2+ hours and mountain bike for 2+ hours (now rode bike!) but after 50 yards I was grabbing the kick board and gasping for breath.  All comments have been great on this thread.  In 3 months I went from 50 yards to 1500 yards on Tuesdays and 2000 yards on Thursdays.  I trained for endurance, not speed so these are straight swims with no stops and no kicking off the wall.  How did I do it?  I stuck with it!  Slowly but surely gaining small increments in yards per week (generally 50-100 yards) and when I was tired I switched to breast stroke.  Eventually I got to where I wanted to be, swimming 2000 yards freestyle.  Once I'm done with my first tri in 8 years (Oly in 2 weeks), I'll start to focus on speed with intervals, etc.  Maybe join up with the Masters.  Stay with it and don't get discouraged!
2011-10-03 5:42 PM

If you're planning to sign up for an open water tri, practice swimming in open water.  Preferably on the same course or in the same body of water.  400 meter in a lake or river doesn't look, feel, or taste like 400 meter in the pool. 

2011-10-03 5:58 PM

For what its worth lessons or 1 on 1 coaching would be useful for ALL of us.  I am certain Phelps gets very regular feedback on technique.  I plan to get some private coaching in the coming months and I have gone as fast as 24 in an OLY.  I really want to shave down another 90 seconds off that time.  It's even more crucial for beginners so as not to develop bad habits from day 1.

2011-10-03 5:59 PM

User image

Coming from the same place as you. And I am still a beginner but now a much better swimmer then when I started. Everyones comments have been great and I'm sure will help. For me I was in the pool every day of the week. Stay in as long as you can and if you can only do 25m before being gassed do 25m and take a break, then do another 25m take a break and do another 25m. Each day you'll go a little farther and before you know it you'll be doing 1500m no problem!
2011-10-03 6:16 PM

User image

Regular

I have taught swimming for years and the best advice has been said several times here:  go to the local Y and get some lessons.  Brand new mistakes are so much easier to break than engrained habits.  Start from scratch and get it right.  Then, when you practice, you will be practicing with a correct technique.  Speed will come later.  Good Luck!!  Wink

2011-10-03 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

Get in the pool every other or every third day and do a set at least one length longer than the last time.  You'll be up to Ironman distance in no time and sprint swims will be a piece o' cake.

2011-10-04 6:24 PM

Hey everybody, thank you for the great replies, tips, and information. I picked up a copy of Total Immersion last night from my school library, and will be hitting the pool in an hour to work on my first drill of "swimming downhill".

I'll also post a video of myself swimming in a couple of weeks - I've always talked about doing a triathlon, but this swimming issue has always gotten in my way. Thank you again, so much, for all the help. As I assumed, it's about technique and persistence, so it's time to get wet.

Oh, also, the Total Immersion book is wonderful in general - I've recently read The Inner Game of Tennis, which goes hand in hand with TI. If any of you friendly folks have never read TIGT, give it a shot - you don't have to be a tennis player to get use out of it, that's for sure.

Daryl
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming for a true beginner... Rss Feed