Other Resources My Cup of Joe » home coffee roasting for addicts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-09 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Subject: home coffee roasting for addicts

First step to recovery...Hi my name is Troy, I have a coffee habbit of about a 12-16 ounces of grounds a week. I like my fix strong and bold but not tasting burned.  Usually limit myself to a morning 16 oz mug but if I am dragging in the PM, will take another cup.  On weekends I drink more with a secret indulgence for some flavored coffee. 

What does the COJ addicts who are addicted to Joe think about home roasting?  For those that roast, what roaster do you recomend for in the home or on the porch?  I tried to make a roaster for my grill but that became a failure due mostly to a slow rotation.  I still have some green beans from this first experiment but they are getting old.  I am willing to roast them up for practice and taste testing though.

ALso, my thermal cup does not hold its heat very well.  Any recomendations on a 16-20 oz replacement mug or thermos that can keep the coffee hot for 2-4 hrs.

thanks

2011-10-10 6:27 AM
in reply to: #3717295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: home coffee roasting for addicts
I can't help with the roaster but I do have a plain 20oz. aluminum Starbucks mug (rubber grip, screw lid with a pop-top thing to drink out of) that keeps my coffee warm as long as I need it to.
2011-10-10 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
I used to roast my own, but it got to be a chore after a while. There are a couple of on-line sources for green beans; I like coffeecorral.com for their availability.

I roasted using a hot air popcorn popper. I had an old one which worked well, but it eventually gave out. I bought another, but the wattage on the new ones is lower (damn you Nanny state!!!) for safety. You need the higher wattage (900?) to reach a hot enough temperature.

You MUST do this outside! It makes a holy mess of chaffe, smoke and oils. You roast until the desired degree of done-ness (I like second crack where the beans start to snap a little), pour them into a collander and allow them to completely cool and degas before putting them in an airtight container.
2011-10-10 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

What does the COJ addicts who are addicted to Joe think about home roasting?

Do it! It's the only way to go. I make the best coffee I've ever had.

I get to have different coffee all the time. Not just by changing up the roast, but by using different beans. The bean is to coffee what the grape is to wine and "Arabica" is the coffee equivalent of "box of cheap Chardonnay".

For those that roast, what roaster do you recomend for in the home or on the porch? 

I have a FreshRoast SR300 but I wouldn't recommend it, it doesn't do a good enough job of agitating the beans early in the roasting process. The roast can come out slightly uneven without intervention. Kind of a PITA. If I were buying one today, I'd go with the SR500. I'm told it does a much better job in this area and also allows for greater control over the roast.  I roast in the house, but I do so the under range hood with the fan on.

I've heard good things about the iRoast when they're working. The problem is that they have a tendency to die after a year or so.

The Nesco Home Roaster is getting good reviews, particularly for it's low smoke.

I tried to make a roaster for my grill but that became a failure due mostly to a slow rotation.  I still have some green beans from this first experiment but they are getting old.  I am willing to roast them up for practice and taste testing though.

As long as they're kept dry, green coffee beans don't go bad. They can be kept indefinitely.

2011-10-10 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Not sure about the roasting for coffee beans and what is best (though I have roasted Cocoa beans/Cacao but that is a completely different process I believe).

As for cups my wife bought me a 16 oz Contigo cup and it works great keeping my coffee hot every day. She got them at Costco in a two pack but I assume they are available elsewhere. When fishing I just bring a large, 48oz thermos (not thermos brand though) with me and it keeps it hot most of the day.

2011-10-10 12:34 PM

User image

Pro
tcarlson78 - 2011-10-09 9:45 PM

ALso, my thermal cup does not hold its heat very well.  Any recomendations on a 16-20 oz replacement mug or thermos that can keep the coffee hot for 2-4 hrs.

thanks

I'm picking out a thermos for you, not an ordinary,,,,,,,,,,,, I though we covered this a few weeks agoTongue out

2011-10-10 3:29 PM

User image

Olney

It is a a PITA if you use a roaster that only allows a small amount at a time.  The big problem is that once you taste homeroast, nothing else will do.

I have been roasting for 7 years and have finally settled on an old bread machine I got at the the local goodwill store for $25 and a heat gun.  I can do a pound in about 18min without breaking a sweat and it was cheap.

It takes some modification but nothing to difficult.

-Steve

2012-04-11 1:47 AM

New user

I would say that Kathmandu is really pretty good place for these sort of things, have a look at their range. I have an clunky old Thermos brand. A couple of months ago, i purchased it on the road from sydney to melbourne and the tea was still warm when I got to Melbourne ten hours later.
2012-04-11 3:07 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Great spent my afternoon looking up ways to roast my own coffee.

I can see something in the future for me.. Just what I need another project. But I have to agree I am sick of drinking crappy coffee. Not a huge SB fan and I live in Canada where everyone drinks Timmies and I can't and I mean I CAN'T stand that.

2012-04-11 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3717834

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Iowaman - 2011-10-10 1:34 PM

tcarlson78 - 2011-10-09 9:45 PM

thanks

I'm picking out a thermos for you, not an ordinary,,,,,,,,,,,, I though we covered this a few weeks agoTongue out

lol! Transylvania 6-5000.

Two awesome movie references in one day
2012-04-11 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas

I started using the original Freshroast (think air-popper) and had reasonable success.  With this machine I had to roast almost every day due to the small batches being limited to ~2 ounces.  It was noisy and smoky but gave me better beans than the store.

About six months ago I bought the Behmore 1600.  It is capable of roasting up to a pound of beans but I keep it at 1/2 pound.  This roaster works great and hits the sweet spot for price / performance.    You can spend 3X on a fancy machine and not taste the difference.  The only downside that I found is with the bigger capacity, I am now going through beans faster (and drinking more coffee).  I use this roaster indoors and the smoke suppression system works wonderfully.

There's many sources for the Behmore and green beans. I've had good success with Sweet Maria's and stayed with them for years.  I'd whole heartedly recommend the Behmore although the Freshroast will be sufficient to get the beans roasted.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » home coffee roasting for addicts Rss Feed