Ute Mountaineer
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m
Overall Rank = 61/304
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am and had two cups of coffee, a bowl of granola with plain yogurt and an orange. Headed for town about 6:15. Parking is a bit tough in Aspen; parked in a two hour zone and hoped I'd be down by 10:00.
Event warmup:

Had to park a ways a way so I suppose I had something of a walking warm up. It was a bit chilly waiting to start, but post race gear was in a pile to be taken to the top of the mountain so I couldn't put my coat on.
Run
  • 1h 18m 30s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 30m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt a lot better than I thought I would. The whole idea intimidated me and I had not checked out the route before hand nor had I skiied Aspen Mountain in forever, so I had no idea what I was in for. I just kept pace with the folks around me for the first third of the race. Around the third mark, a woman next to me said, "This is the longest hardest part of the race." I was feeling pretty good so I started picking out people to catch and pass, and I did this for the rest of the race and had enough energy at the end to pour on some speed.
What would you do differently?:

My heels were the most uncomfortable part of the race. At the time I thought it was a tendon getting tired from the ankle position necessary for climbing, but I think I might have been starting on a blister. I would have duct taped my heels. Also wish I'd drank more water this morning and carried some type of energy bar or goo.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a liter of water and ate a cliff bar. Wandered around visiting and eventually but a jacket on. I probably should have put it on sooner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ankle/heel pain, not knowing the course, and not very good snowshoes.

Event comments:

I had been told there were no drink stations, but there were people passing out Max at the midway point and it sure did help. I took the Gondola down and wished I'd been on skis; felt I'd earned a few turns!!

Last updated: 2004-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:18:30 | 02.6 miles | 30m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 61/304
Performance: Good
Course: I'm cheating here since this isn't really a running race. No running races for awhile at 8,000 feet-too much snow. To get a time you must use skis or snowshoes. I used snowshoes. People had telemark gear, split boards, track skis, and skating skis. Some people just used running shoes with stabilizers (chains for shoes) which apparently is not a category. The race takes place on Aspen Mountain from the bottom of the Gondola to the Sundeck Restaurant. The course is a 3,267 ft altitude gain over an unspecified distance (2 miles?). It has been so bloody warm that the snow was concrete hard at 7:00 am.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes