General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TOTW: I lost my garmin during the swim and paced fine Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-11 6:59 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: TOTW: I lost my garmin during the swim and paced fine

Context: I negative split the run at Rev3 SC without a garmin after a stellar bike for me (I did have bike data from my joule).

Piggybacking on the mental toughness discussion, does your real-time data help or hinder you? I wonder if people respond too aggressively or conservatively to HR or pace data and that hampers their ability to perform. 

2011-10-11 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3718814

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: TOTW: I lost my garmin during the swim and paced fine
phatknot - 2011-10-11 6:59 AM

Context: I negative split the run at Rev3 SC without a garmin after a stellar bike for me (I did have bike data from my joule).

Piggybacking on the mental toughness discussion, does your real-time data help or hinder you? I wonder if people respond too aggressively or conservatively to HR or pace data and that hampers their ability to perform. 

I always wondered that as well but I just can't seem to not wear one. I am assuming it is because I like to chase the numbers so if I see I am running a 9:20 pace towards the end of the race I want to push it to 9. I do see both sides of the coin though since it can freak you out when you see your pace is faster then what you are used to or your HR is at 185 which is your max so the tendency is to slow down rather than speed up.

Personal preference NO HR Monitor but yes to GPS or some sort of pace measuring device

Man that stinks you lost your Garmin now there is a fish somewhere wearing it and trying to beat your swim time

Edin

2011-10-11 10:52 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

I think it's always good to have data if it is data you plan to use and know how to use.

To me, pace is only important at the beginning of the run to help me get on the correct pace.  I have a tendency to come out of T2 hot and need a little help reeling that in.  After the first mile or so I think the data isn't important because you should be going on feel.

2011-10-11 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3719240

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

In my opinion, Garmin's, power meters, HRM slow you down during a race (but great training aids), but then again I am a Short course kinda guy and go til I blow and perceived effort.

To brown_dog's comment, I haven't figured out how to properly use these.  If I ever got to the point of thinking about longer course stuff, my guess is that I'll have to change my opinion.

2011-10-11 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

I think it hinders me--at least I don't pace as well. I do better by feel. However, I have yet to run a pr since I quit wearing a watch (though I came close --3 seconds shy--in 5k this weekend).

I did have a pr in a OLY without ever knowing my pace/time and I know I ran a negativesplit since I passed everyone I came across on the run and I felt better in the last 3 miles than I did in the first. 

In the marathon, without a watch, I have run closer even splits. Normally, even when i pr, I run a pretty big positive split. I think when I wear a watch I feel more anxious about being on pace from mile one. Without the watch I run more by feel and eventually I get on pace--at least this is what happened in the marathons I ran last year (2 of which were my 3rd and 4th fastest and most even paced).

I am in current debate with myself if I am going to wear a watch for Savannah or not.  I really want a pr and I think at my current level of fitness it will be close. So I might need to know the time to push myself at the end--rather than try to guess if I am over or under pace for a pr.

2011-10-11 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

I am a head case during a race, so take my input with a gain of salt.  I wish I could make it appear and disappear during a race.   What?   Example, Tug this year...I started the run 3rd in AG.  I had my Garmin and was using it for pacing.  Like dog, came out a little hot and backed it off, then the bad part of the electronics kicked in.  I started doing math on time elasped vs. goal.  It opened the door to doubt and the "bad" voice.  It was not the whole reason from my crap-tasic run, but I basically shut down when I realized I could not get my goal time.  Looking back, Phat should have closelined me at the finish line for such weak mental toughness (see comment above on being a head case).    I simply should not look at my watch or pacing during the run.  Just run and deal with what ever comes...push all the way to the end.

On the other side, I love having it on the bike.   If left to my own, I would completely burn the matches on the bike.  I must have a feedback loop or bad things follow.  

2011-10-11 4:08 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Harvey,

You bring up a great point.  I think the problem arises when during training one does not know how they are doing.  It's all about the data DURING the workout.  They never take the time to ask themselves, "How does this pace feel" or "I bet my HR is XYZ right now". 

I believe that data 80% of the time is for AFTER the workout.  I use mine as a spot check during a workout to see if what I am feeling is jiving with 'actuals'.  I have also found that one never checks their watch on the flats.  It's always on the climbs or downhills and either one isn't going to give you a good idea at that moment.

My favorite thing to do is to go up to an athlete and put electrical tape over the screen of their Garmin for the race. 

So next time you're (not you Harvey, the general you) out on a workout, don't use the watch to determine your pace or HR, but rather guess what it is based on feel and then keep doing that.  Eventually, you'll be spot on and you won't freak out on race day.

Data is for after the race, not during.

My 2 cents...

2011-10-11 6:33 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

For long course races I think that it is important to use the training aids (i.e. Garmin, Power Tap, etc) as pacing tools especially for athletes who are newer to the sport or new to the distance. I coached a pro a couple of years ago who didn't wear anything (even a watch) when he raced and did the Florida 70.3 in 3:54 and IMFL in ~8:40 with a 3:10 marathon all on feel. The more experienced athlete can get away with racing without toys since they are usually more in tune with their body. I can usually tell within about 2-3 beats what my HR is without looking.

For short course I agree with the "go til you blow" strategy for the most part. On an Olympic you can fry yourself on the bike and have no legs for the run if you aren't careful.

2011-10-11 6:43 PM

User image

Elite
SE
I think I over-rely on the data. I should know better by now and I think Rev3 showed me I do. I just love seeing big watts so, like thecaptin alluded to,  on raceday perhaps its best to use for the bike only?

Edited by phatknot 2011-10-11 6:44 PM
2011-10-11 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Mine was also deposited in lake CDA AT AROUND the 100 meter mark. I may have slowed down due to simply it being my first IM and being over cautious on the go by feel. However, with that said I would totally agree with Dan that I was totally attentive to how I felt and ended having some left in the tank and not blowing up. I quess in training I try to correlate HR to how I felt on those long rides or runs so I went back to the feel race day. Opposed to being in zone 3 on HR and still going to hard but ignoring it because the numbers say your ok. The bigger issue is that I really do not want to deposit another 2-300 in a lake. I may start coflexing mine pre swim. Any other ideas?
2011-10-12 6:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia

I have a little bit of a different relationship with my gadgets.  But, I agree that they are more for training, and mostly the data is useful after training and racing (but only if you learn from it).  But in racing long course, I do watch my data some.  More HR than power though. I keep an eye on power to gauge consistency, but even then, I only glance at it periodically during racing.  Power is also helpful to gauge effort on a hilly race course.  The HR is more important to me on long course, especially on the bike.  My body seems to respond differently in a racing environment, so I do like to dial things in on the bike before I go hammering away.  I learned a valuable lesson at the Macon Half a few years ago when I pretty much ignored my HR data on the bike, and it expressed itself in a big way later on the run. 

So, I guess my point is to be the best racer you can be, data is only part of the puzzle.  Going by "feel" is important too, and in some cases maybe more important.  But, data should also be part of the "dashboard" along with the physical and mental "feel" during racing. 

2011-10-12 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3719973

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Rocket Man - 2011-10-11 7:33 PM

For long course races I think that it is important to use the training aids (i.e. Garmin, Power Tap, etc) as pacing tools especially for athletes who are newer to the sport or new to the distance. I coached a pro a couple of years ago who didn't wear anything (even a watch) when he raced and did the Florida 70.3 in 3:54 and IMFL in ~8:40 with a 3:10 marathon all on feel. The more experienced athlete can get away with racing without toys since they are usually more in tune with their body. I can usually tell within about 2-3 beats what my HR is without looking.

For short course I agree with the "go til you blow" strategy for the most part. On an Olympic you can fry yourself on the bike and have no legs for the run if you aren't careful.

I've trained/raced 'zen' - without data of any kind - for the last few years. After the batteries on my last bike computer died, I just took the thing off, and now it's 100% by feel. I'm not saying data-free is the way to optimize race or training results but I'm not missing the feedback, so it's zen for the duration A little bit, I felt like the joie de vivre of the sport was sucked out when I was focused on the numbers, but OTOH I think Brett's comments about folks who are newer to the sport are pretty much right.
2011-10-12 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3719805

User image

Master

I did IM Wisconsin with no data on the bike.  My bike computer has always been wonky, but I thought it was working for the race.  I declined to follow Doug's advice and take the Garmin just in case because I tend to get "married to the data" and I thought I would want it more on the run, so when the bike computer didn't pick up coming out of T1, no big deal.

Having no data on the bike was odd, but helped me not worry that I was going too slow when the entire field passed me or to talk myself into going faster to meet some mph or time goal or to set a limiter (like HR) that was too high for my fitness like I did in IM Lou.  I think this was better for me.  I did do the math to calculate my avg pace when the mileage was posted (every 10 miles) and since that was reasonable, I did not worry about the pace and that took a lot of stress away from me.  I may do this again next year or just rely on the bike computer once I get it working.

I did use the Garmin on the run because I tend to go out too hot, so that feedback helped me moderate my speed and then the beeping on the miles helped me remember when to eat.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TOTW: I lost my garmin during the swim and paced fine Rss Feed