General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Emerald Isle Dog Days of Summer Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-21 2:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Emerald Isle Dog Days of Summer Triathlon
Is anyone familiar with this race scheduled for October 15?

2005-09-21 6:14 AM
in reply to: #250710

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
Subject: RE: Emerald Isle Dog Days of Summer Triathlon
Not familiar with it, but I'm going to do it. Several of the people I swim with have done it before and enjoyed themselves--I can ask around for more information if you'd like.

Edited to say:
from the flyer: 750m ocean swim, 19.3k bike flat, I imagine it's on the barrier island and the only thing resembling a hill is the bridge), and 5k run--also flat.

Edited by chriscal 2005-09-21 6:17 AM
2005-09-21 3:13 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I have not done the race, this is its second year if I remember correctly. I believe that last year they had to make it a du because of rough surf conditions. I have been going to Emerald Isle on vacation for years and years (just got back from a long weekend in Altantic Beach which is on the other end of the island).

The island is dead flat, but can be very windy, There is little or no shade. The ocean can play a little rough at times too with fairly strong currents and the possibility if rip tides. It's a killer beach though, 22 miles of sand.

2005-09-21 3:58 PM
in reply to: #251263

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2005-09-21 4:13 PM

I have not done the race, this is its second year if I remember correctly. I believe that last year they had to make it a du because of rough surf conditions. I have been going to Emerald Isle on vacation for years and years (just got back from a long weekend in Altantic Beach which is on the other end of the island).

The island is dead flat, but can be very windy, There is little or no shade. The ocean can play a little rough at times too with fairly strong currents and the possibility if rip tides. It's a killer beach though, 22 miles of sand.

Hey, you were in my neighborhood! I live across the bridge in Morehead City. You're right about the wind, that's where I do my biking and some of my running and sometimes it can be rough.  I don't swim in Emerald Isle--it's so much closer to just hop across the bridge and go to Atlantic Beach, or Pine Knoll Shores. Hope you had fun.

2005-09-21 4:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the input. The last race of the season around here was last week (and my first) and I want to get out and do another ASAP. I've got all these frequent flyer miles to burn and have been looking for a good Saturday race I could get to somewhere. This one looked interesting.

How close is the nearest airport? Would that be Raleigh/Durham?

And are there any decent bike rental shops in the area? My bike is antiquated enough it would probably be just as easy to rent as ship mine . . .

And water temp that time of year? Do you think wet-suits will be legal?
2005-09-21 5:22 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Raleigh/Durham is a 2.5 hour drive from Emerald Isle...get a flight into Wilmington if you can...that's about 45 minutes to an hour away.

2005-09-21 6:41 PM
in reply to: #251312

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
Stormpetrel is right, Wilmington is only an hour and a half away. Also, New Bern's little airport is 40-45 minutes away if you could fly in there.

Don't know about the wetsuits being legal--I kind of doubt it, but it depends on what the weather does between now and then. I'll look tomorrow, but I think the water's still around 80.

There's a bike shop I go to in Havelock, which is about 20 minutes inland, Bike Depot, but I don't know whether he rents. Probably someone in Jacksonville does.

2005-09-21 7:56 PM
in reply to: #251304

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
chriscal - 2005-09-21 3:58 PM
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2005-09-21 4:13 PM

Hey, you were in my neighborhood! I live across the bridge in Morehead City. You're right about the wind, that's where I do my biking and some of my running and sometimes it can be rough.  I don't swim in Emerald Isle--it's so much closer to just hop across the bridge and go to Atlantic Beach, or Pine Knoll Shores. Hope you had fun.

We had a blast, as always. Traditionally we stay for a week in a house with a proper kitchen, and end up gaining several pounds, too much fresh seafood will do that to you, no matter how much you ride, run, swim, and paddle. Vacations in NC are all about the eating for us.

2006-07-09 5:48 PM

goldsboro, nc
I have not done it before. However, my wife and I will be at it for our 1st ever triathlon. Pretty excited about it. We are doing one of the training programs on this website (4 month program). We live in Goldsboro. Emerals Isle is a nice beach. I think after the tri, a friend and I will go golf and let the ladies hang at the beach!
2006-07-09 5:49 PM

goldsboro, nc
I just noticed, all the other posts were for last year. So, how was the race?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Emerald Isle Dog Days of Summer Triathlon Rss Feed