Anderson, South Carolina
United States
REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
Total Time = 2h 52m 58s
Overall Rank = 52/197
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

First, I must qualify everything with the fact that this was only my second triathlon and first olympic. I really don't have much to compare to here.

I live in Anderson so I could stay in my own house and my own bed. I slept ok but tossed and turned a little from the excitement to come. I got up around 6 and grabbed a bannana, granola bar and some juice on the way out the door.
Event warmup:

I had a couple of hours to kill between leaving the house and my wave starting. I went to the finish/T2 area and got my body moving in order to wake up. I set up my T2 area and talked to a few of the racers around me. Then it was a hop on the bus and a 10 minute shuttle to T1.

T1 was a little odd in that it was open while the pro and half rev athletes were in the water. I checked the tire pressure, made sure my equipment was in the right order for transition and watched as the pros and half rev age groupers made their way through transition. Then it was time to throw on the wetsuit and head to the lake for a quick 10 min swim warmup.
Swim
  • 26m 29s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming is by far my best discipline of the three so I was really looking forward to mixing it up with some of the other strong swimmers and seeing just where I stacked up.

The swim was actually out and around a peninsula and apparently that peninsula was blocking a very strong wind when we started. I just remember a nice, easy glide out to the first turn with very little traffic. Then it was straight into the wind for the rest of the race. I had a friend who was on the shore for the race and he said it was a steady 15-20 mph winds for the whole race. I was very glad to have open water swimming experience since I was constantly going over what felt like wake left from a large boat. It turns out the wind was causing almost white cap conditions on the lake. I just concentrated on my breathing and tried to maintain an easy glide without too much kick to save my legs for later in the race. I did manage to pass many of the women who started the college leg of the race 5 min before our wave and hit the shore with some of the college guys who had a 10 min head start.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could do differently other than pray for a calmer day.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

I would say this was a good transition with all things considered. It was a short run uphill to T1 where I grabbed a cup of water on the way. The water didn't do much good as I had already swallowed half the lake on the swim. The wetsuit came off pretty well and I was off on the bike in a good position.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 29s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I have read a few reviews of people complaining about the road course. I guess I wasn't surprised because these are the roads I ride all the time. I guess most people were not expecting the hills that were on the course but there were more than just a few rollers. The course started with a brutal climb right out of the park. I would guess the first 4-6 miles were almost all up hill. I was aware of the climb to start so I did my best to save my legs on the swim. I am not a very strong biker in the first place and the strong winds did not let up on the bike. There were a few brutal stretches where the wind really was enough to blow someone off the road if you were not careful. The good news about this course is it was mostly an out and back. That means the long uphills we started on were downhills to finish. Miles 18-22 were very pleasant as you were able to tuck and let gravity take over. Then it was onto the highway and back uphill to the finish.

this offseason is dedicated to becoming a descent biker. Not much I could do on this day to make it better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Hoped off the bike and racked it with no issues. I was still ahead of most of the other age groupers so T2 was not crowded with bikes at this point. Threw on the running shoes and was off.
Run
  • 1h 00m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh!! I usually look forward to the run portion of a race. I am not the fastest runner in the world but I can always maintain an 8-8:30 pace with no issues. I was looking down at my watch and realized my goal of finishing under 3hrs was well within reach. I was looking at a 2:45.

Not so fast. My legs were very tired after the numerous climbs on the bike and the overall stress on my body after the windy swim and bike ride finally got to me. I started at a comfortable 8:30 pace but my body started pleading with me to stop after mile 2. Then it was all about mental fortitude over physical ability. I just had to finish. After mile 4 I grabbed a gel at the water station that provided a little bit of energy but I really should have had one on the bike or at least at the first water station on the run. I also realized at mile 4 that my goal of 2:45 was not going to happen but that under 3 was still a real possibility. I pressed on as hard as I could without cramping. The last u-turn at the finish was a very cruel joke. You can see the finish line and hear the crowd screaming as you are running straight to the finish. Then a flag lady waves you off to the side where you run up and around the amphitheater. Now, when I say up and around, I mean uphill and around. This was not a fun last 1/2 mile. After the loop it was on to the finish. Rev3 does a great job of creating a fun finishing atmosphere. I crossed the line and was well under my original goal of 3hrs.

train harder so I am prepared.
Post race
Warm down:

A couple of gatorades and plenty of walking to keep the legs moving.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the wind and my own limitations.

Last updated: 2011-10-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:29 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 21/197
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:29 | 25 miles | 18.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 43/197
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:48 | 06.21 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 53/197
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-12 7:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Rev3 Anderson - Olympic Rev

2011-10-14 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3720436

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Rev3 Anderson - Olympic Rev
Nice job! I thought it was a very cool race and went off very smoothly for a 1st time event. There were a few pretty rough road when you got way out there on the Half Rev but it really wasn't that bad. Just like any back country road. Saw a lot worse at IM 70.3 Providence.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Anderson - Olympic Rev Rss Feed