General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reflex Sprint Tri in Concord? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-15 3:22 PM

Subject: Reflex Sprint Tri in Concord?

Does anyone know if the pool is heated...I understand it's outside.

2011-10-17 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3725123

User image

North Carolina
Subject: RE: Reflex Sprint Tri in Concord?

I hadn't heard of this event even though I live nearby. There is actually an indoor and an outdoor pool at the complex, but the indoor pool is small. I'm guessing the outdoor pool is NOT heated though since the website says it is only open May - September.

http://sportscenternc.com/SportsAreas/Pools/IndoorPool/tabid/62/Default.aspx

Good luck! The temps are dropping this week. But if I didn't have out of towners this weekend I might come join you.

2011-10-17 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3726770

New user

Yikes, an outdoor swim for this event?  Hope not!

The registration information states that the event takes place in the 25-meter pool.  I checked their website and both of the outdoor pools appear to be "olympic size" which is 50-meter.  So I might assume that the event will take place indoors and they'll have to start us in heats where we wait until people finish to start?  

I just emailed the generic email contact to ask for clarification, and if it is outdoors, what is the projected water temp...I don't own a wetsuit so I'd be canceling or freezing my butt off.

Hopefully I'll get a response and will post an update!  

2011-10-18 3:40 PM

New user

I got confirmation - swim is planned for the outdoor pool and IS unheated.  Kind of strange not to clearly state that in the 'swim description' portion of the registration.  Maybe I missed it.

Current water temp is 64 degrees.  Apparently if it drops below that they will convert the event to a run-bike-run setup, but that seems unofficial so don't quote me on that.

I replied and asked if that meant a 5k-16mi-5k.  Since I'm new to all of this, and the longest I've run is 3.5 miles, this is looking less appealing.  Also asked if people who owned wetsuits could use them in the pool (although I imagine that is abnormal, going under lane lines and all?).  

Anyone have experience in a run-bike-run event?  

2011-10-18 8:38 PM

User image

Regular

Well glad I skip this one - an outdoor pool swim in late Oct. Really? Because it will be quite cool starting Thursday  (39 is projected low Friday am, 41 Sat, and a 43 Sunday). 

Maybe they turn into a dualthon with a 2.5 k run, the bike then the run?

2011-10-19 12:13 PM

I had the same question about the pool (indoor or outdoor) and I e-mailed yesterday to find out. He gave me the same answer....outdoor pool, they are monitoring the temp, may adjust to a Du if it drops much more. 

I don't have a wet suit either and am not keen on renting one for 300m pool swim for $50.....but I am also not keen on swimming in 64degree water when it is 40 degrees outside......uuhhmmm.....what to do?  Any suggestions?

2011-10-19 7:36 PM

New user

Got the official decision over email today!

They decided to switch the swim to the INDOOR pool but shorten it to 200m!  So...a super quick dip in the pool and then off on the bike.  While a 200m swim seems funny to me, I like it better than running more.

Now...I wonder what it will feel like to bike in sub-50 degree temps with wet hair/clothes.  I have yet to do that since I started all of this in July!  

2011-10-21 6:24 AM

Anyone have suggestions for what to wear for the biking/running portion of this sprint triathlon when it will be less than 45 degrees on Sunday AM.  I am not so much worried about the swim now, but I do wonder about putting a lot of layers on over my wet tri suit for the bike.  Buurrr!
2011-10-21 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3732736

User image

North Carolina

I wouldn't enjoy doing this wet, but personally at those temps I would definitely pull on a wind jacket of some kind and gloves. Also, I would probably wear my headband that covers my ears under my bike helmet. 

Good luck!

2011-10-26 7:30 AM

User image

North Carolina
So how was it?
2011-10-26 9:24 PM

Turned out ok.  The bike ride wasn't as cold as expected.  Wool socks, shoe covers and head band for the ears made all the difference.  Though I am sure I did not actually feel my feet until a while after the run was over.  The bike course was very nice and enjoyable.  The run course was odd, in that it consisted of 3 laps around the mall parking lot.....so that was kind of weird and not very scenic. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reflex Sprint Tri in Concord? Rss Feed