Kansas City, Missouri
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 27s
Overall Rank = 301/1981
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 47/317
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45, got ready, ate some oatmeal, sipped on Gatorade. Had a cup of coffee in the car, with a banana. Got to the race at 6:00, found some bathrooms at a hotel, dropped off the gear, hit up the portajohns again, but this time waited 20+ minutes.
Event warmup:

Running to the start line from the johns, and fighting my way to the 1:45 pace group. I got close, but never quite made it.
Run
  • 1h 43m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

The race was my first half marathon, and longest running event to date. I was feeling well prepared for it, although the course itself was much hillier than what I have trained on. We started at 7:05, and I worked my way up behind the 1:45 pacers. There were tons of people, and it was difficult getting up to speed. My first 3-4 miles killed my time. To make up for the slow start, I averaged well under 8:00 the rest of the race, despite the hills.

The first major hill came at mile 3. It wasn't too bad, but our pace slowed quite a bit. After the hill, I took my first gel. Once I got the gel down, we began to hammer on some of the downhills, with our pace reaching close to 7:00/mile sometimes. This really continued till mile 8.

At mile 7, I took my second gel because I didn't want to try and suck it down going uphill from miles 8-10. This may have been a mistake. I planned on taking it at 8.5 miles, which I thought would give me enough energy to reach the finish (and I have practiced in my long runs). The last long hill began around mile 8, and ended around mile 10. It was a solid incline the entire time.

Once we got to the top, I asked my pacers if the rest was all downhill. They said yes, and I thanked them, and began to HAMMER. I was really feeling great. I mean, my legs were hurting, but I have never felt that solid after 10+ miles in my training.

Around mile 12, the wheels came off. I hit the wall, bonked, whatever. It was probably the hardest mile I have ran, and I could really feel how tight and sore my hips and calves were getting. My pace dipped a bit, I got passed by a few people, but I really was giving it everything I had, so I had no problems with it. As I rounded the final corner, I saw the finish line. About .4 miles away, and up a slight incline. Damn...

I pushed hard to the finish, and really just took in the moment. I also avoided some projectile vomit as I crossed the finish line. And I finally remembered to hit stop on my watch! Crazy!
What would you do differently?:

Pick up the pace a bit the first 4 miles. I could have EASILY been around 1:40 if I had done this. But it was my first, and I'm sure this is tough to do with such a mass of people. Also, stick to the nutrition plan. I thought I was making a good and logical decision taking my last gel early, but in the end, I was hurting. Lesson learned.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, some minor stretching. Talked to Reece from BT, who finished a minute or two ahead of me. Grabbed some food, talked to Scotty, and headed to watch for Rach as she crossed the finish. Ice bath once I got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The first four miles. But I really was happy with my result. When I set my pacing goal of 8:00/mile back in July, I honestly didn't think I would be able to do it. Even a month ago, I was very worried. I am thrilled that I came in at 7:54/mile.

Event comments:

I had a great time, and this was an excellent first half mary for me. The staff and volunteers were great. They had tons of food, beer, and results print outs onsite, which is always nice. I definitely will be doing this race in the future, either the half or full marathons.

Last updated: 2011-04-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:27 | 13.1 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/317
Overall: 301/1981
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 9:03 Mile 2: 8:17 Mile 3: 8:43 Mile 4: 8:19 Mile 5: 7:36 Mile 6: 7:38 Mile 7: 7:21 Mile 8: 7:24 Mile 9: 7:42 Mile 10: 7:47 Mile 11: 7:17 Mile 12: 7:06 Mile 13: 7:28 Ave. HR: 166 bmp Max HR: 179 bmp
Course: Downtown, Westport, Plaza
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes