Seagull Century
59F / 15C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 31m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2:00. Ate breakfast. Drove to Salisbury (3 hours)
Event warmup:

Warm up for a century ride? -er- no.
Bike
  • 5h 31m 9s
  • 100.28 miles
  • 18.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Started about 7:15. A bit cold so I put the UnderArmour cold gear shirt on and toe covers. That was a good call.

Oh was that a great ride.

Sun came out and it was into sunshine and shade. Very mild rollers that barely get the name "hills".

Said good morning and love your jersey for everyone I passed. Commented on the purple pacelines as I went by :)

Picked up three hangars on who kept up with me for most of the first half. I think one of the reasons I've been a bit slower this year in century rides is I've taken to talking instead of head down grinding it out.

Get to the bridge going to Assateague and realize my legs aren't hurting. No cramps in my legs, not feeling bad at all.

Well, isn't this a difference from other rides. Seems that's a snake. Not some little bitty garter but a SNAKE! 4' long and about 4-5" diameter. Across the bike path with a foot or so on either side of it but I'm not about to go near the head side. It's standing up about 2' with the old mouth open. I don't have a clue what type it is and I really don't much care. It's a pissed off snake. "HEY (to the Natural Resources cop) there's a BIG FRIGGIN' SNAKE on the bike path!"

I get to the island and walk around a bit. I'm averaging 19.9. Hmmm, seems my chattering is doing something, I'm used to about 21 MPH average here.

Got back on and rode back to the road. Heeyyyyyy, horses. First time I've seen the horses. They are little. Stand about up to my shoulders total. Little bitty horses.

Saw one of the officers with that snake holding its head and tail. Turns out to be a black rat snake. Those things can grow to be 8' long. Yikes.

Started on the return trip. Whammo. Wind. Complete and total headwind that remains a headwind no matter which direction you face. Found out later the airfield was calling 25 knot wind from the West, read literally direct headwind for almost all the last 40 miles.

Wind is demoralizing. I know what the word relentless means. I'm okay with this return trip wind as I've done this ride a couple times but this was different. I said something about wait until the airfield to some people and here's the airfield. Yup it was everything I thought it was going to be.

Imagine riding your bike in molasses and that's close. Instead of 22-25 MPH, it's 12-14.

There's the finish line. Finally.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It was a great ride.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly the bloody wind.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-05-17 12:00 AM
Biking
05:31:09 | 100.28 miles | 18.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Mostly a loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-10-16 9:39 AM

User image

Subject: Seagull Century 2011

2011-10-16 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3725522

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Seagull Century 2011

Been there and done that with return trip headwinds, not fun.

Ponies make it all worthwhile though. 

Snakes? not so much, thank you.

2011-10-16 2:23 PM

We just got back from SeaGull, it was our first century ride. I agree with you, the headwinds were relentless. I was mentally prepared for the headwinds, but that was rough. We averaged probably 19 mph on the way out to AI NP, but definitely averaged about 13 on the way back in. I don't know that I've ever been happier to see a finish line.

The ponies were awesome (I'm kicking myself that we didn't stop to take pics though) ! The snake, not so much. I think the Park Rangers had just gotten it when we went past.

2011-10-16 7:44 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Oh, too bad I missed you. You probably passed me somewhere in the first couple of hours, as I set off a few minutes ahead of you with some friends who I was accompanying on their first century ride, and you finished much faster than our group. I did have some people strike up conversations based on the Triple Bypass jersey that I was wearing (note to self: wearing an interesting jersey is much better than the plain old thing that I normally wear), but I don't think you were one of them. 

The snake was gone by the time I got to Assateague.

Agreed on the winds. I've seen the headwinds in the Seagull before, but this was worse.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seagull Century 2011 Rss Feed