General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Off Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-21 2:31 PM

User image

Austin, TX
Subject: My First Off Season
I have just completed my third and final race of my first year of competing in triathlons. I love these races and am officially hooked on this sport. My question to all of you is what do i do now. For the next 3-4 months, how do i change my workout.. I know i need to get better swimming so i plan on devoting a lot of time to technique but as far as biking and running...how much do i do? i live in Oklahoma so it will get cold here. also what is a good off season tri-specific weight tranining program. I love the gym and am looking forward to pumping some iron but i want to do things that will help me in my new sport. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2005-09-21 2:47 PM
in reply to: #251217

User image

Otter Lake, Ontario
Subject: RE: My First Off Season
hey, i am also just finished my 1st year and have been thinking about my offseason training including weight training. I had planned on doing some leg work to improve my biking, but lately i have been reading a lot of literature that says bascially weight work is almost a waste of time.

If you have a limited amount to train, you would be better off doing sport specific training like riding a bike trainer or treadmill rather than pumping iron. For example spending 6hrs a week on the bike is going to make you faster than spending 5hrs on the bike and 1 hr working your legs with weights. The weights do help but the oppurtunity cost of the missed bike time is too great.

there have been some good discussions on this topic lately on slowtwitch
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Off Season Rss Feed