General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon sport descending into High Schools Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-21 2:44 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Triathlon sport descending into High Schools
You know that a sport is reaching mainstream when it begins to descend into High School Varsity sports. When I did my season opener in April there was at least one high school varsity tri team there. I spoke with the coach and he said that several schools in the Orlando area had Tri teams. 50 miles away on the East Coast I don't think any HS have tri teams though.

Has anyone else noticed Triathlon becoming a HS sport team in your area?

Our YMCA is going to begin having kid tri events beginning next spring. My son (6yr), the aspiring swimmer, runner and now biker wants to do it. He's not into team sports right now, he prefers individual sports including Martial Arts. It would be something if 10 years from now the local schools in our area have Tri teams. In the meantime if he stays interested, I foresee us going to some tri events that include kid distances. I guess Santa needs to bring a better bicycle for Christmas this year!

Don

2005-09-21 4:23 PM
in reply to: #251229

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Triathlon sport descending into High Schools
oooh, Santa brings Bikes??? Give him my address..

NOo HS tri clubs as far as I can tell here in Madison, although with the IM hoop-la and general bike-mania that exists here, it could happen any day...
2005-09-21 4:32 PM
in reply to: #251318

User image

Elite
San Diego
Last year we had a couple of people organizing HS Tri teams and wanted to have school competitions. I know we had at least 8 schools. They would ask my tri team for used and inexpensive gear and they would volunteer and race in all the local races. This year I haven't heard anything from the group.
2005-09-22 4:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I teach high school and have attempted to get kids into the sport. I have had mixed results thus far. On the good side I have had one student (now graduated) compete in a few tri's, I loaned him my second bike for his first event in which he came in 7th overall only about 3 minutes behind the winners time. He/his parents then purchased him a bike (Trek road bike with areo bars) and he has since finished top 10 overall in his next two events, one an olympic distance event. He was a former Cross Country/track runner and swimmer who still has very, very little biking experence. I am confident that if he continues he will be a force to deal with even on the national level. The bad side is that due to legal concerns my school district has decided that not only can Triathlons not be a school sponsored sport but I have even been advised not to train with these kids for my and the districts protection. When asked for an explaination I was told the bicycle training was the major concern.

Edited by Special K 2005-09-22 4:10 AM
2005-09-22 4:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Wichita Falls
can you make it a club? with liability waivers? when i approached the school district about a varsity rugby team i was told no... i made it a club with waivers and now there are four more HS rugby clubs in the district
2005-09-22 4:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was told yes to the club. Problem then is the personal liability that I would face even with waivers according to my attorney. Not what I would like in a perfect world but I am not putting myself at any risk if I can prevent it. Truth is though, that this is not a sport for most people, training for a lot (myself included) is individual when we can squeeze it in time wise. I have also had coaches for other sports advise their athletes not to do a Tri, they of course are worried about injuries to "their" athletes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon sport descending into High Schools Rss Feed