General Discussion Race Reports! » Pass it Along Lake Mohawk Country Club Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pass it Along Lake Mohawk Country Club Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sparta, New Jersey
United States
Pass it Along Lake Mohawk Country Club Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 8s
Overall Rank = 235/300
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 19/21
Pre-race routine:

I didn't sleep well but felt like I rested. Crazy stormy night had taken out the power so I was a little nervous I would over-sleep. How bad would that be to come all that way and miss the race?
Got up about 4:30 am, got ready,put air in my tires,I ate breakfast at home but brought a powerbar with me and had snacks and drinks packed on my bike.
Transition area opened at 5:30am, 6:30am race meeting, 7:00 am start. My wave was 7:21am. I was doing this race by myself but when I got to the area I met some people I knew, they were wonderful. They had completed the race the previous year and were so helpful to me. I was a little nervous about the protocol but they gave me some tips.
I set up my area with a towel and racked my bike. I felt like I brought 2 of everything "just in case" 2 sets goggles, 2 sets of sunglasses, 2 pairs socks, a second shirt, perhaps a little overkill. The swim entered off a beach area so I had a basin to wash the sand off my feet. I used a microfiber towel which was great for a fast dry. All great tips I had learned from BT.
Event warmup:

There was a swim warm up but I didn't take the opportunity, I tried to strech and relax - just breathing exercises to get out of my head so I wouldn't be nervous in the lake. People were riding and jogging everywhere. Some of the local people even arrived on their bikes. One less rack to pack I guess.
Swim
  • 28m 37s
  • 880 meters
  • 03m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

I stayed to the right outside of the group as we entered the water, I felt like I swam a little further by staying to the outside of the area. I could barely see the bouy but they had 100m markers along the way so I could keep track of where I was. I am not totally comfortable in the water so I just counted my breathing along the way, pretty much got through the swim thinking 1,2,3,4, breathe. It kept me calm.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe swim a little closer to the bouy line next time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

This seemed to go smoothly. all my pieces for the next step were laid out so I just went through the paces to get everything on.

I would try to move a little faster out of the water to the transition area.
Bike
  • 50m 38s
  • 10.8 miles
  • 12.80 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike felt good, The hills were definitely a struggle. I did dismount on two of them about half way up and ran to the top and remounted. I felt nervous about burning out my legs when I still had a run to complete. The pace was a steady ride with some really fast down hills. I unfortunately did not have a bike computer so I was cycling blind.

Next year I would like to ride the course a few more times. This year I had ridden the first half of the course only once, it went fine but I had not done the swim and I was not running after so I made the hills work.
I would also like to have a race computer to check out the faser pace of the down hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

This seemed to go well. again I had my stuff all laid out. I had also changed my shoelaces to elastic pulls. These worked great less time for tying.
Run
  • 40h 45m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13h 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked ran this course. I am not a great runner so I kept going running then walking. I did keep pace with a fellow runner / walker on the way back. I was amazed by how friendly some people were, they would offer words of encouragement as the went by.
My daughter and my friends daughter came out to run the last few 100 m with me. It was such a great feeling to see my friends and family along the route offering words of encouragement. It really does keep you moving for them as well as yourself.

The staff had said there would be water stations along the way so I had not taken a water bottle with me. Next time I would definitely have water with me. I did drink well on the bike portion so I was ok but felt that the first water station was just a little too far away for my likeing.
Post race
Event comments:

This race started out as a new year resolution to get myself up and moving and to do something a little out of my box. I think I covered both resolutions. It was an amazing journey and so many people contributed to making it happen; from the support of my family and friends; to the swim coaches; to the bike group I joined and to the people at Beginner triathlete and my fabulous mentors at the Yanti & Lynn mentor group. They have become friends for a lifetime. I loved the feeling at each and every transition; the feeling of accomplishment is incredible and I can totally see how someone could become addicted to the high you get from crossing the line. I didn't need to be first, I just wanted to finish. All along I said I am a completer, not a competer. I think I need to take that back now; Yes I am a completer but I never felt so much like a compeditor as I did when I came accross that finish line. I cannot believe that I am a triathlete. What a great feeling. Thank you BT for all your help and plans and support. I couldn't have done it without you

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:37 | 880 meters | 03m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 234/300
Performance: Average
Suit: Champion race shirt and Danskin trishorts.
Course: Two days before the event the staff cancelled the wetsuits as a safety precaution. The water had been very warm the week before and they were afraid of heat exhaustion. I brought my xterra suit with me in case they changed their minds on the day. For me that was wishful thinking.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:38 | 10.8 miles | 12.80 mile/hr
Overall: 222/300
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Bike course was not entirely closed to traffic but police and volunteers were posted at all intersections. Directions were good, mile markers were great to let you know wher you were on the course. The first part of the course had some steep but short hills, one long steady hill around mile 4, then the second half was somewhat flat with a few good rolling hills.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
40:45:00 | 03.1 miles | 13h 08m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 241/300
Performance: Below average
Course: This was an out and back course. It was 1.5 miles up turn around and then down hill to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-10-23 4:40 PM

Subject: Pass it Along Lake Mohawk Country Club Triathlon

2011-10-24 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3735106

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Pass it Along Lake Mohawk Country Club Triathlon
Great race report and great job!!! Now, on to the next one! 
2011-10-28 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3735883

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Pass it Along Lake Mohawk Country Club Triathlon
Way to go!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pass it Along Lake Mohawk Country Club Triathlon Rss Feed