General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 34m 57s
Overall Rank = 412/2573
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 93/327
Pre-race routine:

This was my 3rd HIM...and by far my best time..i learned alot in my first 2 and i am still learning....cant wait to do more!

Ironstar 2010----6:08:12
IM TX 70.3 2011--5:52:27

i'll start this with Saturday...drove in from houston that afternoon...started out that morning eating a fried egg 4 pieces of turkey bacon and a piece of whole wheat toast and of course...coffee....picked up a bag of walnuts and almonds and a case of water at kroger...the water i believe was the key to my day...even though i had to stop for the bathroom 3 times on the way to Austin i drank on that case of water the whole way there...this is my point behind this...i would open a bottle and drink it and as soon as it was gone i would open another...i was testing out drinking all day before race day to be super hydrated...i will definately do this day before every race from now on...had a ribeye,sweet potato,and spincah for dinner...and a glass of wine

up at 5am...2 servings of Bear Naked Banana Nut with Vanilla Almond milk and coffee....same as always.....
Event warmup:

nothing
Swim
  • 36m 4s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

this was a beautiful swim..i really enjoyed it...i take the time during the swim to do all of my last minute stuff in my head on what is going to happen and execution for the rest of the day...
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

transition was fair...pretty straight forward

be a little faster..
Bike
  • 2h 52m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.48 mile/hr
Comments:

well....before the race my plan was to be conservative and save more for the run than i did at Lonestar....i rode the course the week before so i knew that beginning had some climbs and this would be the part with the most hills...took a while for HR to settle but after making the left after the toll road and the course began to flatten for a while i setlled in and HR came on down and then the ride really began...i felt really good and my pace was surprisingly faster than i had convservitavely planned but at that point in the race i figured its the last race of the year so just stick with the nutrition plan and just go with everything else...this course was comparable to Iron Star...what i did differently on this one was hammer the downhills and use that momentum to finish the uphill instead of coasting the downhills like i did at Iron Star...that was my first HIM so i was ultra conservative on that ride...i was really happy with the outcome of this ride....

Things i got to see on the course:

--about mile 2 i saw an impatient rider strike a cone..it laid them completely out and slung 'em 90 degrees right into the ditch...
--at the right 90 degree turn about 40 miles in after the big downhill..saw a rider not slow down quite enough and ended up going into the ditch but they were able to salvage it and come out ok....

Nutrition on the bike:

40oz of Cytomax
30oz of Water
2 GU's
1 Stinger Wafer
1/2 bottle of EFS (2.5 oz)

not hit the lap button on my 310 while up out of the saddle climbing a hill and sending it to T2 :0
  • ..oh well it didnt change anything on the ride...

• overall it was a great ride
    Transition 2
    • 03m 34s
    Comments:

T2 was great...saw my cheering squad..Mom,Jennifer,Shanna,Cason,and Hunter...it was my sister and my nephew's first race to see so it was really good to see them there....got a lil' emotional while putting my shoes on because i was very happy to see my sister and my nephews there..after putting my shoes and hat on ran over and said hello and got some high 5's from the boyz...made my day to have them all there!

nothing really
    Run
    • 1h 58m 48s
    • 13.1 miles
    • 09m 04s  min/mile
    Comments:

This was my best HIM run so far..

i came off the bike feeling very good..i usually do because i am always itching to get off the bike and start running....my plan was to start off at 10:00's and get my HR in check and under control but i started to bump up the pace in the beginning and settled into about a 8:45 pace and it felt really good and i felt like i had it wired....at the aid stations i would grab 1 gatorade and 1 water and drink them in that order...2 sponges and 1 cup of ice....to keep cool i would sponge my head and my arms and the back of my neck and squeeze 1 sponge in my crotch (this is a great way to cool the core the quickest) and then i would use the cup of ice to put down my top and if there was any left i would put in my shorts....about every 3 miles i would grab an orange quarter and get the juice out of it...my past 2 HIM's i walked the aid stations..but i decided not to this time because i felt good and really didnt want to slow down..
  • ..i tried not to think about it too much but i knew if i held on i would go sub 2hrs...everytime i rounded the finishing area i would have to hold back my emotions because i knew i was that much closer to the finish and was possibly going to have a great run time...the first 2 loops i felt great and by the 3rd one i felt the energy slowly starting to go down but i didnt let it slow me down...i didnt want to be ignorant and blow it so i was doing the math in my head and i knew all i had to to do were 10:00's or below to finish under 2hrs....after making the right turn after the third loop to go into the finish i really started to take it all in because i knew i had sub 2hrs wrapped up....it seemed like forever to make the turn to get into the arena but as soon as i got inside and felt the a/c i knew it was over and it felt great!

• Had to stop and Pee once and had to re-tie my shoes twice.....

Run Nutrition:

80 oz Gatorade
    80 oz Water
    5 oz Cola
    4 Orange Quarters
    4 oz EFS

i had to pee while i was on the bike but i held it because i knew there were cans on the run course..i should have looked to see if there was one close to T2 before i crossed the timing mat that way my run split wouldnt have been effected....learn to tie my shoes better :)..the K Swiss shoes that i run in, the K Ruzz have ribbed shoelaces, i have never had a problem with them before but the darn things came untied twice and i even double tie the bow...?? not sure why it happened but oh well...bending over to tie shoes than far into the race is just asking for a hamstring to cramp but i was lucky..i guess everything was going my way :)
    Post race
    Warm down:

hung out with my crew, strecthed and waited for gaven to cross the finish... grabbed a bite to eat about 45 min after finishing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i must have grabbed the wrong race pack because my bib said Jason and not Michael Raelert.....

Event comments:

My Grandmother (Maw Maw) is going thru Chemo right now and is doing great. For this race i wrote Maw Maw on my cycling shoes....i wanted to be able to look down at my feet if at any part during the bike ride i thought i was hurting or it was getting tough and i would think about her and how tough she is and how nothing during the race could be as tough as what she is having to put her body thru right now...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-12-06 12:00 AM
    Swimming
    00:36:04 | 1931 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
    Age Group: 93/327
    Overall: 488/2573
    Performance: Good
    Avg HR: 142 bpm
    Suit: Xterra full
    Course: Counter Clockwise Trapezoid
    Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
    Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
    200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
    Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
    Waves: Good Navigation: Good
    Rounding: Good
    T1
    Time: 04:00
    Performance: Average
    Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
    Suit off:
    No
    Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
    Jump on bike: Yes
    Getting up to speed: Good
    Biking
    02:52:31 | 56 miles | 19.48 mile/hr
    Age Group: 121/327
    Overall: 532/2573
    Avg HR: 158 bpm
    Wind: Some with gusts
    Course: clockwise rolling hills with 30 turns....
    Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 95
    Turns: Good Cornering: Good
    Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
    Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
    T2
    Time: 03:34
    Overall: Good
    Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
    Jumping off bike Good
    Running with bike Good
    Racking bike Average
    Shoe and helmet removal Good
    Running
    01:58:48 | 13.1 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
    Age Group: 93/327
    Overall: 412/2573
    Laps: 8:37,9:42,8:50,9:19,8:28,9:17,9:16,9:14,8:34,9:14,9:50,9:43,8:40 Avg HR: 166 bpm
    Course: 3 Loops mainly pavement with very little offroad...this run course had more hills than i have ever raced on...i know its not that hilly compared to some but growing up on the prarie i am not used to hills but i feel i used good judgement and was able to attack them well...the aid stations were great!
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Good
    Mental exertion [1-5] 5
    Physical exertion [1-5] 4
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Good
    Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
    2011-10-24 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Houston
    Subject: LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival

2011-10-24 8:09 PM
    in reply to: #3736586

User image

Veteran
    Subject: RE: LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival
    Great race. And really nice improvement over your 3 70.3's.So if I just did my first in auston at 6:07, does that mean I get to go under 6 hrs next time too?
    2011-10-24 8:35 PM

User image

Master
    San Antone, Texas
    awesome race dude!  Really impressive, I hope I can improve that well on my next couple of 70.3's too.
    2011-10-26 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Houston
    Thanks! I am really happy with my time...i didnt expect to shave thatmuch time off..its given me more confidence and more trust in my training. JB
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival Rss Feed