General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
56F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 36m 20s
Overall Rank = 158/544
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 26/76
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30am, ate a banana, whole wheat mini bagel, kashi blueberry bar, starbucks instant italian roast coffee. Samantha took Joe and I to T1 to drop off T1 bag, check bike and setup. Took trolley to swim start.
Event warmup:

Light stretching. Took a GU Rocktane 35 mins before start. Jogged about 5-10 minutes, found beach bathroom no one was using so took a pee. Put on wetsuit and dropped off pre/post race bag at bus. Went to start, loosened up shoulders and light stretching.
Swim
  • 27m 21s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Prerace meeting they told us high tide was the best ever this year, got into water, good temp, swam around a few strokes, went out and felt the strong current, waited for start gun and took off. Started at front center, got knocked around a some, probably worse I've been hit, someone knocked my goggle and my right eye filled with salt water. I decided not to stop and fix it if it didn't bother me too much, so I kept going. I tried drafting a couple times, but I would hit thier feet or not stay on them long. I drifted right and had to keep redirecting back to center. Felt like I looked up and instantly was at the turn, the current was extremely strong. I continued to drift right and had to keep redirecting, probably lost some good time not navigating well. I felt good and pushing just a little, got a mouthful of salt water and gagged. Right eye started to sting a little half way through, but still didn't want to stop to fix and could see fine. Pushed a little the last 100 yards to the ladder, not real fast getting up these ladders but didn't need help. Took off to transition, ran on asphalt for a few 100 yards, not fun, feet got beat up, but I didn't lose any spots in the run to transition. This run is included in swim time. Pulled down wetsuit to waist while jogging to transition.

I was pumped when I heard my time, but actually disappointed in placing since last year I came in 9th on swim. I got out of water 26th in AG and ended up 26th in AG for the day, interesting stat. Time is personal best, but so was the tide. Beat last year by 7:30, goal was just to beat last year and come in under 35'.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better, improve drafting and push harder. Focus more on the preswim warmup. Probably should do a practice swim on this course to get tide and path down better, tide is great but take some additional navigation to maximize. I think I did the same or worse this year than last year on navigation, I kept going wide and covered too much extra distance. With one minute left I would start back of start line and wade out farthest in the middle of channel and try to time current taking me to start line.
Transition 1
  • 06m 19s
Comments:

Ran to bike, decent position in first lane, lane side bike but near back. Took off wetsuit, stuck on ankles. Bike jersey stuck as usual, have to see if there are any techniques for this, it alway slows me down. I like wearing my Buckeye bike jersey, else I would have put on long sleeves for the jacket, will regret this later on the bike. Decided to put on CP socks, partially to keep warm and also to reduce fatigue. Started on left foot, looked down and saw and R on foot...hmmmm...R = Right? duh, never noticed that before, should I switch, does it matter? oh what the heck a few seconds more to be right, CP socks took a while to get on after the switch, and yes, L on the other one. Bike shoes on, garmin on, helmet on, sunglasses on. Took a gel and headed out. Crossed line and jumped on bike. Beat last year by 9 seconds.

Practice taking off wetsuit quickly. Figure out how to put on jersey faster. Do the CP socks really help?
Bike
  • 3h 01m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I set my garmin alerts last night and decided to bump up my bike HR alters to max at Z3, rather than Z2 I usually set in HIM and my IM. Bike started ok, but felt cold, decided to go with short sleeve and left cycling jacket behind (thought it might add to drag). Wasn't long and my hands were frozen, glowing red and barely could move them. Precipition started and just made it feel colder. I could hardly pick up my clif bloks from bento box, took forever getting them out. Didn't feel like moving anything so took less gatorade and water, although with it being so cold it didn't seem to matter much. I only drank one bottle of gatorade, didn't even finish it in fact and 2? bottles of water. Ate 3 clif bloks (100 cals) every 45 mins. I had salt tabs with me but didn't take any. Wind was strong and felt like a headwind for first 30-40 miles out, brutal. Serious mental test during this segment. There was a narrow part where they had these yellow poles on side of road and orange cones we had to go between, well, like all my rides, I almost crashed, took my eye/focus off them and almost ran into one of the yellow poles, swerved right, went outside of a cone, swerved back in and pulled it back under control, holy shit that was scary! Guy behind me yelled something out, I think it was in support rather than hey dork you almost crashed us all! Hip was hurting when I pushed, but I just kept going and pushing as needed. Finally last 15 miles or so, strong headwind was now a tailwind and sun came out, still cold and thawing but gave me hope for the rest of the day, sun was forecast in the afternoon, so hoping the run was going to be reasonably nice. Penn Stater shouted out to me while passing. Got a few Go Bucks!Cruized in 20+ the rest of the way back to T2, felt great to hold 22 mph for a while and not redlining. My goal was to be under 3 hrs and push it, saw that I was real close at about 2:50 so pushed hard to end, came in just shy of goal, but for conditions I was happy.

Improved 33 positions from last year in AG and 166 positions overall. New carbon TT bike in 2011 and pushed a little harder this year.

Maybe push even harder on second half, but think I put in the right effort. I didn't really watch HR like I normally do, I kept bike computer on cadence and watched speed. HR alert only went off a few times so I knew I was ok based on my feel of effort being probably low Z3.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

T2 was smooth and felt fast. Volunteer took bike right inside T2, ran and they were holding my bag for me, nice, went to tent and took off shoes, helmet and put on runners, volunteer came to help put my gear back in back and handed me my belt and hat and I took off. I had to pee, but wanted to keep T2 fast as possible. I can make it up on the run when I stop, I said to myself!

Nothing, maybe pee in T2 and start run comfortable and get sub 9 min run time rather than a quick transition time!
Run
  • 1h 58m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Took a Rocktane out of T2. Felt great coming out of T2 and looked down at garmin and pace was 8:36, so I slowed down, was planning on mid 9 to 10 to settle in for first mile. Took 3 salt tabs at mile 1 aid station, then 2 every 45 minutes. Took a GU every 45 minutes, last one was a Rocktane. Took water at almost every aid station, tried Heed once and it didn't taste/sit well, so I skipped any more Heed. Clicked off first 5k feeling pretty good, but had to pee like a bandit now and stopped at mile 4 for a 2 min piss, I almost just let the rest go it was taking so long, but I got a rest break I guess so finished my business. Saw the girls and kids while going through downtown, they were screaming and kids had a great look on them when they saw me pass, this was the best part of the entire race and lifted me up! Next few miles clicked by, now getting to halfway mark which is big milestone and turnaround. It starts to get harder to hold pace now and kept fading from my goal pace of 9:09 miles. I wanted to neg. split, but didn't know if I could hold on and actually went out faster than plan.

The race starts at The Line I was saying to hold from pushing when I felt like I could earlier in the run. I decided in my race plan to create The Line at mile 10 and at that point I would try to push but be comfortable and consistent up to that point then push harder to the end for last 5k.

Hip hurt the back half of run and especially the last 5k, started to worry as I pushed to the end that I was going to injure myself. Still in sore the next day so we will see how that goes.

Picked up 13 positions in AG and 14 positions overall, again these stats seem strange too, only 1 more position ahead overall than AG???

Nothing. Pee in T2 and get sub 9' run!
Post race
Warm down:

Cup of chicken broth, pizza, water and med tent to warm up. Walk around, walk over to get bags and warm post race clothes. Walk around some more, missed Joe crossing finish line, had a beer with Joe and waited on wives, who never showed up, took bus back to downtown hotel and called girls, Samantha came to pick us up but they forgot you can't drive onto the island so she was on ferry from downtown while we were taking bus back downtown. Went into bar and had beer while we waited for her. Then had an espresso shot and she finally made it with Maya.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Windy and cold bike.

Event comments:

Great volunteers and race course! PR in all three sports, how could I not love this course! Town is great to, wish we had more time here and better weather, both years were below normal temps. But still a great town and race!!

Last updated: 2011-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:21 | 2078 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/76
Overall: 165/544
Performance: Good
Suit: full vortex
Course: point to point
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:01:49 | 56 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/76
Overall: 183/544
Performance:
AHR 143
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Very flat, out and back (sorta) through town and several major highways
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 86
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:58:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/76
Overall: 208/544
Performance: Good
AHR = 144
Course: Out and back, 5 hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-10-30 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2011-10-31 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3744779

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Nice race Matt! That swim is insane. Glad to hear you enjoyed the race. Warren and I may join you there eventually.

The wind sounds like it did a number on many racers - way to not let it affect you mentally. I hope the hip is okay today.

CONGRATULATIONS!

2011-11-07 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3744779

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Congrats on the PR!!

That swim was RIDICULOUS!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed