Set-up Inc
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 25s
Overall Rank = 324/335
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 10/10
Pre-race routine:

Friday - early morning light Chest & tris session, mostly to loosen up from all the travel, etc. Couple of hours at the office. Pick up race packet. Get my hair done. Short swim again - hadn't been in pool for 3 weeks, just wanted to get wet. Went to bed almost 11:00 - WAY TOO LATE.
Race morning - up at 4:45. Breakfast was yogurt, kashii cereal, V8 juice, coffee. Off to race site at 5:30. set up transition, body marking, scoped swim exit. Left old running shoes to put on.
Event warmup:

A little swimming, some walking around. Not much.
Swim
  • 35m 24s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not a great swim. I ended up breast stroking alot of this. I can crawl this distance, but I kept drifting right and found myself breast stroking to watch the bouy - STUPID!
What would you do differently?:

Swim the crawl - IDIOT!!!
This was the first calm water OWS I'd done. My crazy schedule the last month or so precluded any good OWS. Thus I was uncomfortable with sighting.
More OWS would help. Got to figure out how to get out there.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Felt good about this transition. MUCH faster than my last swim-bike transition. Helmet had fallen off bike - slowed me down a bit.

Just keep practicing getting it together faster.
Bike
  • 48m 7s
  • 20 kms
  • 24.94 km/hr
Comments:

I think I might have pushed a little too hard on this part. Also, this is a bad time of month. I started having some issues with "slippage" that was quite painful on ANY bumps in the road. This would come back to haunt me on the run.

Need to continue to work on my power output. Also, must do something about my "other issues" this is the second race that these problems interfered in.
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

This transition also went pretty well for me. Socks didn't want to go on well, but otherwise felt well.

Not much
Run
  • 41m 23s
  • 5 kms
  • 08m 17s  min/km
Comments:

At this point I ended up walking a good chunk of the run. But I walked as fast as I could. My monthly problem made it quite painful to run and I was just trying to finish.
Did manage to pull off a major run down the closing chute.

Need to build up endurance. Pushed a little too hard on the bike and didn't leave enough for the run. Still need to deal with my "other issue"
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Couple of thing here.
I think I was edging on overtraining. THEN I ended up with a lot of business travel that messed up my schedule and nutrition. My pool was closed for two weeks and I couldn't set up a decent OWS.

Event comments:

They had some issues with busses to get people to the swim start. Several folks were late. The post race activities are always a little thin. But I saw my friends and bailed.
I will update with official times and places when they are posted (probably tomorrow)

Last updated: 2005-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:24 | 1500 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 328/335
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Point to point swim WITH the tide - hence the fast time - (for me)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:07 | 20 kms | 24.94 km/hr
Overall: 319/335
Performance: Good
Average HR 155 Couldn't get SDM to start at beginning.
Wind: None
Course: Flat and fast. Large loop. Only tricky parts were over a metal grate drawbridge out and back. A couple of spots the bikes had to split a single lane of traffic the narrow path made passing (and being passed) a little tricky.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:23 | 05 kms | 08m 17s  min/km
Overall: 317/335
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat. Loop. on sidewalks
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-24 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon

2005-09-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: #252857

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
Hey you did it, even after your "work week from hell" - that's what counts.  Good Job!
2005-09-24 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Maybe not your best race, but a really solid race regardless.  And the swim was DARN good, even, especially considering that you didn't get to swim much at all before the race.  Great job!
2005-09-24 4:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You still did it and how great is that!!  Any day you get to race is a good day!  Those monthly "slippage" issues can be rather painful, but good for you sticking it out and finishing strong!
2005-09-24 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
O the joys of being a woman. If we get to talk in Iowa I can tell you personally about my most humiliating race moment ever, in any sport, arising from the same issues. I empathize, believe me.

Sometimes it helps me in OWS to find someone about my speed to draft and let them worry about the course (this has worked a few times), but of course you run the risk that they'll go wildly off course too. My big gains this season weren't so much race speed as transition times. I bet you'll see gains next season when you least expect them, just from experience.
2005-09-25 8:37 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

yeah, I agree with what was already said.  Maybe not your best race, but still a solid effort.  Way to hang tough.  Life is always throwing curve balls and we do what we can do to not get hit! 

Overall I'd give your race an A+! 

2005-09-25 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
Hey! You did it! It may not have felt that great, but you finished despite your 'issue' and that's impressive. I left you an inspire--I heard them call your name out on the PA system! I tried to get over there, but there were a million people thronging around and I didn't see you (I was looking for someone with BT on them). Too bad, it would have been fun to meet up. I was really wired, since it was my first race.  Are you going to Emerald Isle?

Congratulations!!!!
2005-09-25 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Hey..they can't all go perfect. Nice job perservering. That swim was unique! I too was expecting a little more post-race stuff...they didn't have any good food or drinks...just bread, fruit and water. Did you make it to you're wave start on time? Next time we all need to pick a place and time to meet.
2005-09-25 8:56 PM

New user
Cary, NC
Hey great job for sticking in there, that swim was pretty intimidating especially with the problems with the buses being late.

Dave
2005-09-27 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Nice job on your race, way to hang in there. The swim was a bit tougher this year due to no help with the current, it was almost slack tide when the race started. It's tough when you have not done OW swims regular. Next year you should try and come out in the mornings with a group of us that swim it every week, starting in May. Just remember that every race is a chance to learn something new, you will just get quicker.
2005-09-27 6:55 PM

User image

Regular
Apex NC
Fantastic job with your race. I know it was not your best, but look at what you did!!! That was a tough swim...

Also, thanks for the tips on friday, you gave me some good advice. That bridge would have been a total suprise.. It was great meeting you.... see ya on the next one..

2005-09-28 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Wisconsin
Hey Nuke!  Gosh, I was gone for awhile and missed your race day!  Great job-maybe not your best, but looks pretty darn good to me! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed