General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exercise after dental work? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-31 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Exercise after dental work?
A while back I read somewhere about dental work releasing bacteria into the system, and to hold off on exercise afterwards. I have a few days in a row, nothing major but the bill , a cleaning today, and a few fillings being replaced tomorrow. I'll ask at the appointment too, just didn't think of it today. I read the academy of orthopedics recommends antibiotics for patients who have had previous surgeries etc.I'm guessing it's usually for the big jobs, root canals etc..

2011-10-31 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3746047

User image

Subject: RE: Exercise after dental work?
I had a wisdom tooth extracted a couple of weeks ago. The tooth had cracked and was removed by an oral surgeon. Before the procedure, i spoke with the surgeon about training. He is also a runner participating in frequent 5 and 10ks. He said to give it 2 days for the closure to begin to heal, and only begin when I was feeling comfortable. Unfortunately it really took 4 days for me to begin as the swelling was worse than I had hoped and because I accidentally ripped out some of the sutures. All this to say that with this oral surgery, it was recommended that I take 2 days. You should be ok with less then that.
R
2011-10-31 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ
It doesn't make it right but I trained after many dental visits this year (had insurance for the first time in a while). I didn't have any health issues I would think its for more extensive stuff then fillings or a cleaning.
2011-10-31 5:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA
I've only heard of folks with MVP to have any concern with dental work and we are supposed to take ABX
2011-10-31 6:01 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I did a 13 mile training run within two hours of having a non-impacted wisdom tooth removed with no problems. The tooth extraction went very smoothly and minimal anesthetic was required.

I took the day off work for the procedure and, when it went easier than I expected rather than go back to work I went out and did a long run. Zero problems.

As always, heed your doctor's advice though.

2011-10-31 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

My wife who just graduated as a dental hygentist has never heard of that.

I suppose if you had freezing you might accidentally step on your lip????

2011-10-31 9:56 PM

Not a dentist, but I think the main concern with dental work and the heart is a mitral valve prolapse issue.  The bacteria that can be introduced into the bloodstream can infect the heart muscle (endocarditis) and further damage a prolapsed mitral valve.  Not everyone with MVP is symptomatic or aware of it, so theoretically some of us are at risk without knowing it. I imagine rigorous exercise would not be a good thing if you have endocarditis, but I don't know if exercise in the days after the dental work would increase your risk of developing a cardiac complication. Maybe a cardiologist on here could chime in.
2011-11-01 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3746480

Jackson, Tn

nickwisconsin - 2011-10-31 9:56 PM Not a dentist, but I think the main concern with dental work and the heart is a mitral valve prolapse issue.  The bacteria that can be introduced into the bloodstream can infect the heart muscle (endocarditis) and further damage a prolapsed mitral valve.  Not everyone with MVP is symptomatic or aware of it, so theoretically some of us are at risk without knowing it. I imagine rigorous exercise would not be a good thing if you have endocarditis, but I don't know if exercise in the days after the dental work would increase your risk of developing a cardiac complication. Maybe a cardiologist on here could chime in.

This is mostly right.  Like Nick said, the concern is that the bacterimia caused during a dental procedure will get in the bloodstream, move to the heart, and possibly cause endocarditis.  This is really only a concern in someone with a preexisting condition, i.e. MVP, prosthetic valve, or a prosthetic joint.  The problem we run into is that the ADA and the AHA are constantly going back and forth between who does and does not need to be premedicated (used to be MVP, but now they say no).  Just about the only patients that I put on prophylactic antibiotics before a procedure, and that does include fillings and cleanings, are patients with prosthetic valves or prosthetic joints.  If you fall into this category, then yes, you should be prescribed antibiotics before any dental procedure and I'd recommend staying away from exercising for a few days after.  Other than that, you should be good to go as long as you feel up to it.  Hope this helps!

2011-11-01 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3746659

mrfarrar - 2011-11-01 7:20 AM

nickwisconsin - 2011-10-31 9:56 PM Not a dentist, but I think the main concern with dental work and the heart is a mitral valve prolapse issue.  The bacteria that can be introduced into the bloodstream can infect the heart muscle (endocarditis) and further damage a prolapsed mitral valve.  Not everyone with MVP is symptomatic or aware of it, so theoretically some of us are at risk without knowing it. I imagine rigorous exercise would not be a good thing if you have endocarditis, but I don't know if exercise in the days after the dental work would increase your risk of developing a cardiac complication. Maybe a cardiologist on here could chime in.

This is mostly right.  Like Nick said, the concern is that the bacterimia caused during a dental procedure will get in the bloodstream, move to the heart, and possibly cause endocarditis.  This is really only a concern in someone with a preexisting condition, i.e. MVP, prosthetic valve, or a prosthetic joint.  The problem we run into is that the ADA and the AHA are constantly going back and forth between who does and does not need to be premedicated (used to be MVP, but now they say no).  Just about the only patients that I put on prophylactic antibiotics before a procedure, and that does include fillings and cleanings, are patients with prosthetic valves or prosthetic joints.  If you fall into this category, then yes, you should be prescribed antibiotics before any dental procedure and I'd recommend staying away from exercising for a few days after.  Other than that, you should be good to go as long as you feel up to it.  Hope this helps!

x2

Aside from the stated above, the only reason I'd postpone your exercise  a few hours, or anesthetic wears off, is if the dentist worked on the bottom arch and your lip numb after an inferior alveolar block. Some folks, including I, have difficulties understanding where the lip is when it's numb. Cool

2011-11-01 8:05 AM

Jackson, Tn
Just wanted to add, that this is simply a generalization and should not be taken as medical advice.  For personal questions about yourself, you should seek advice from your primary care physician and/or your dentist. 
2011-11-01 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
mrfarrar - 2011-11-01 8:20 AM

I'm an example of the above.  I have a mechanical aortic valve and my cardiologist has me pre-medicate with an antibiotic proir to dental procedures or anything else invasive, such as a colonoscopy.   I take clindamycin, due to a penicillin allergy. 

I would have a bigger concern about exercising after anesthesia. 

Mark 

2011-11-01 10:21 AM

User image

New user

Tampa

I believe that the British cyclist Mark Cavendish began training too early after having some cosmetic dental work and a tooth pulled at the end of 2009. He started training too early which lead to issues/infections.

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/cycling/2511387-headstrong-cavendish-still-convinced-he-can-win-green-jersey

2011-11-01 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Very good info everyone thank you. I really meant to ask out of curiosity at my visit today, but it was about 3 hours, and there was a real problem with getting anywhere near numb, I felt almost everything, nearly came out of the chair a few times. This was to replace older porcelain fillings on 3 teeth. I was sent home with newly restored fillings and painkillers, but we think it may just be a root canal (or two) tomorrow if the pain is still there. If the pain in the chair wasn't fun enough, theres the $4k bill for 3 fillings..ugh. But hey Im also a professional complainer so..a grain of salt. I kid not at one point it felt like fishing line was pulled through my face and out the eyelid..that's the only part today that didnt hurt and i chuckled a little, very strange sensation. Tomorrow I'm bringing lots and lots of whiskey.
2011-11-01 6:52 PM

User image

Good luck. Hope it goes better tomorrow.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exercise after dental work? Rss Feed