General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Overcast
Total Time = 10h 59m 42s
Overall Rank = 87/850
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/81
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 AM ate a bagel with peanut butter, banana, 2 packets of oatmeal and a cup of coffee. Headed to T1. This was my first full and 3rd triathlon, so I was getting pretty nervous at this point. I trained for the distance, but you never know if it's enough until it's done.
Event warmup:

Put on wetsuit at the swim start and waited.
Swim
  • 49m 56s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am a slow swimmer, so I was definitley happy with the results. I started in the back of the back to stay out of the way. This tactic did not seem to work, and I will probably try to start closer to the front next time. I thought my sighting would be bad, but there was some swimmers out there completely lost. I actually got T-boned just before we passed the half start. I did push harder than I wanted because I wanted out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front.
Transition 1
  • 10m 6s
Comments:

Temporarily forgetting this was a race and partially because of being excited about the swim time I ran over to say hi to some friends and tried to find my wife and son.

Not forget it's a race.
Bike
  • 5h 57m 33s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.79 mile/hr
Comments:

The rain and the wind was incredible for the first 70 miles. I had to tell myself I was not the only one suffering. I was nervous about the nutrition because it was cold enough that I couldn't get the Hammer gel flask to flow and I was having a hard time squeezing it because like a fool I left my gloves in T1 thinking it was warm after the swim. However, I did bring several Honey Stinger Waffles, so I ate those, and stopped at the SN station to get several more I had placed in the bag. I kept drinking water with NUUN as I did while training in the summer which led to having to stop 4 times to pee. The last 30 miles or so were AWESOME. I did not push the bike do to the unkown on the run. Next time I will push harder.

Wear more clothes and push harder on the bike. I was so nervous about ruining the run that I conserved too much on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 08m 17s
Comments:

Transition went smooth. Legs felt surprisingly good.

Nothing.
Run
  • 3h 53m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I really liked the run course. The toughest part was the headwind going over the first bridge. I stayed at a pretty even pace throughout not really pushing too hard and not having to walk at all. I was definitely pleased with that and my pace was comfortable enough that I carrried a bottle of water with me and filled it about every third aid station while eating or taking salt at every aid station. The aid station workers were so nice that I would drop the bottle off just before the turnaround and it would be full on the return. My "hats off" to all the volunteers they did a tremendous job.

Possibly push a little harder. However, if I would have pushed harder earlier, I might not have been able to sustain.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged all the family and friends and then headed for the warming tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It being my first full I stayed on the conservative side all day. Now that I have that coveted finish I will try to push harder on the bike and run and see what that brings. I will also try to increase my bike mileage over the course of the next year.

Event comments:

The race was great and so were the volunteers.

Last updated: 2011-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:56 | 4224 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 31/81
Overall: 180/850
Performance: Average
Suit: Exterra full sleeve
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 10:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
05:57:33 | 112 miles | 18.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/81
Overall: 126/850
Performance: Good
I had to ignore the HR monitor and use RPE. My HR monitor was reading all kinds of crazy numbers if they were true I was probably having a heart attack, but I felt good, just cold, so I made the decision to ignore it.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 08:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:53:53 | 26.2 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/81
Overall: 70/850
Performance: Good
Heart Rate Monitor came back to life or I just liked the data better. Kept the HR at about 145 which is a little lower than I do in training.
Course: I enjoyed the course. It was hilly, but beautiful.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-02 12:23 PM

Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2011-11-02 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3749078

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
Congrats Ironman!  Way to sneak in under 11 hours, that's terrific for your first IM!  All in all, it looks like you had a great day and you should be very proud!
2011-11-02 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3751493

Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
Thanks! I was very pleased with the results from the day.  I actually followed a lot of your advice on the forum.  Thanks for all your posts.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed