United States
Set-Up, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 53s
Overall Rank = /1100
Age Group = Novice women
Age Group Rank = 28/89
Pre-race routine:

Drove from my board meeting in Manteo to Morehead City, where I dropped off my state car and picked up my car and bike. Then continued on to Wilmington, getting there just as the pre-race meeting ended. Found a dive motel with four cars with bike racks and crashed. Gave up trying to sleep at 3:45, and wandered around picking up my stuff and putting it back down.

I don't recommend the 6+ hours of driving after work travel for three day as a pre-race warm up.
Event warmup:

Nothing much--I got there early, picked up my chip, got marked (number 1000--I decided that was a good omen), taped my son's picture to my bike tube, and then wandered around looking at people's toys. I stretched a little and ate a bar and drank some yucky cytomax. That stuff is too sweet. I switched it out for Endurance, which is better.
Swim
  • 24m 14s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Happy with my swim. I want to buy better goggles but they didn't hinder me.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe race in my age group next time--it was a smaller wave.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I ran to the transition area well and I felt good. I had a lot of energy. And then I ran into a woman I know from when I lived in Raleigh who had her bike racked right next to me. And dork that I am, I started to TALK to her. Then I remembered I was racing and got back on it. This could have been faster if I hadn't been so social. It was nice to see here, though!

Not try to catch up with an old friend in T1.
Bike
  • 40m 27s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.44 mile/hr
Comments:

this was my weak link. I felt good, but I could tell I should have been going faster. I wasn't sure how much I needed for the run, I'd only done two bricks. I need more mileage at speed. I got my road bike three weeks ago, and I love it (need a name--think he's a he)--now I just need to put some time in. I want to drop at least five minutes from next year.

People in my rack line loved my bike b/c it was the only one that had disco-esque white seat and handlebar tape, which made it easy for all of us to find our bikes.

Get faster. Maybe get clipless pedals. I have some but didn't feel comfortable trying to learn them that fast, not to mention the fact that I couldn't afford the shoes just now (thank you, Hurricane Ophelia).
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

This went fine.

Nothing.
Run
  • 30m 29s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 06s  min/km
Comments:

I'm happy with my run, though I want to get faster next year. I just started running this spring and did my first 5k in July. The 5k for this race was two minutes faster than my first one, and that's after the swim and bike--I'm proud of that. Reality check: I was smoked by an 11 yr old boy, which is my new younger limit age for people who leave me in the dust. And the 71-year-old guy who smoked me in the Beaufort 5k won his age bracket this time, which is cool. I didn't walk at all except when I got some water, and that was what I wanted to do. I didn't have it in me to kick it at the end as I'd wanted. Next time.

Have enough left to kick it at the end. And maybe shave 4 minutes off my time :)
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around hugging my friends, eating a banana and an orange slice, drinking water and talking to random people with a HUGE grin on my face. After the awards, I drank a beer and ate a big honkin' tuna steak with fries and hush puppies--good stuff.

Two people got hit by cars! They're both ok, but that sharp turn was scary.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more mileage on the bike. I felt good though--I had enough in me and I was happy when I finished. Tired, but pumped. The man/boy who finished right after me blew chunks as soon as he crossed the line.

Event comments:

They didn't have enough buses to take people from the transition area to the swim start, so some people missed their wave. Rumor had it the buses were comandeered for the hurricane efforts, though, so I can't complain. We were crammed in the buses. I sat with, practically on two masters men. Luckily they were really funny--we had a good time. People who race are really friendly for the most part. I love the energy I've felt at the two races I've been to now--one to volunteer and one to race. Yay!

Last updated: 2005-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:14 | 1500 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/89
Overall: 0/1100
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: point to point across Banks Channel and into a marina (I'd checked the WQ data that my agency takes the night before, so I was ok with that :) ) It felt pretty good to me--I caught a bunch of the novice men and drafted a little. Got one elbow to the head, and one person ran their hand up the ENTIRE length of my leg, which was a little funky, but it wasn't the serious washing machine I'd half expected.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:27 | 12.43 miles | 18.44 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: It was a loop with some traffic in parts. Narrow lanes marked off by cones. Lots of people were drafting and it was hard to pass/be passed. Unfortunately I was being passed more than passing. I need to bike more, that's all there is to it.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:29 | 05 kms | 06m 06s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: Loop out to the beach road, down a canal road and back around. Shady mostly, sidewalks, nice and flat. It was starting to get hot, though. Right before the finish line there was a driveway to the town hall, and as I was running up, a big white pick up pulled right in front of the cones and stopped. I bellowed at him like a banshee, "MOVE!" and he did, but I still had to swerve around. Not cool.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-09-26 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
Subject: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon

2005-09-26 7:29 PM
in reply to: #253834

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
Great job! I'm almost positive I talked with you at the pre-race. There are too many similarities.

Next year, we will do a better organized BT gathering there were clearly many othe BTer's there.
2005-09-26 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Nice work...I loved that swim. Yes, next year we need to set up a time and place to at least say hello to one another. My wife was telling me about the guy who came into T1 covered in blood...he must have been one of the ones hit by a car.
2005-09-27 7:19 PM
in reply to: #254007

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
Hey Margaret,

Just looked at your race report, and it looks as though you talked with Ektar, not me. Although I just remembered talking with two women and a man who were checking out the swim exit--so who knows?  Next year, a rendezvous spot for all of us, definitely. 
2005-09-27 8:12 PM

User image

Regular
Apex NC
Good job... your swim and run times are fine, the bike (like me) is the killer. Man, the bike people have it made Keep up the great work and next year we will rock on the bike!!!!
2005-09-28 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Sounds like a great race! I'm totally the same type of dork -- I would try to talk to someone in T1 as well! Congrats, Triathlete!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed