Virgina Beach Neptune Festival
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 4/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 after a mostly sleepless night. Choked down a banana for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and a 3/4 mile walk to the swim start.
Swim
  • 29m 47s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

What a total disaster. I was in the 4th wave so I had the opportunity to watch the others attempt to overcome the 5-7 foot surf. 4 people in the first wave made it about half way out, then turned around because they couldn't get out of the surf. The second and third waves went off and there were similar struggles. At 8:20 they blew the horn for my wave. Off I dashed in to the surf. I figured my height and weight might help me fair a little better...not so much. To make a long story short it took me over 3 minutes to get to the bouy. FINALLY, I wasnt getting pounded, just rolled around. I turn toward parallel to the shore and take a peak around. I can't see more than a few yards with the swells and there is certainly no sign of the bouy so I pick a hotel out down the beach to sight off of and start swimming. As a swam along and topped some swells I noticed the field was spread over probably 100 yards in width. People were all over the place. I think I was only close enough to touch someone else a half-dozen times or so. Anyway, the swim drags on and when I get within about 100 yards of the bouy I can finally see it. I swim around it and turn towards shore. As you might imagine, the beating from the surf returned continued. After a few spells under the water I make it to the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Although this was my first race in the open water I don't think there was anything I could have done better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Took my time. Didn't want to forget anything. Was happy to see my brother's bike was still in the stable (-:

Speed it up!
Bike
  • 41m 59s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Best ride i've had to date. Course was very flat and fast. The wind was troublesome in a few spots, but overall conditions were excellent. I passed a ton of people, but had the favor returned by a handful of guys and girls who blew by me like I was standing still. Was a little pissed a the people who STOPPED at the mount dismount line and blocked those of us who were in a hurry.

Not much. Ran out of gas just as I crossed the dismount.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Threw on the shoes and was off in no time. This time I was glad to see my brother's bike was not there when I racked mine. He pulled in as I was buckling my race number. Off I go.

Not much. Go fast!
Run
  • 26m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

After T2 I felt good and started trotting along. It didn't take long for my bro to pass me. My 8:30 pace doesnt hold up to his low 7m/m. Held a steady pace and sprinted the last 100 to the finish.

Train harder to run faster (-:
Post race
Warm down:

6 gatorades and a bagel. Followed by the excellent post race party with BBQ and our friends from Budweiser.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact i've only been training for 4 months.

Event comments:

Great race and great first tri. (Excluding my DQ in August). I'll be there next year.

Last updated: 2005-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:47 | 1094 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/38
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Beach start, 25M out to bouy then 950M parallel to shore. At the 975M point there was another bouy, turn into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:59 | 14 miles | 20.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/38
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Flat up and back course. Wind was gusty in a few areas.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:05 | 03.1 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/38
Performance: Good
Course: Up and back on the boardwalk.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-26 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington, DC(ish)
Subject: Sandman Triathlon

2005-09-27 6:30 PM
in reply to: #254014

User image

Veteran
Washington, DC(ish)
Subject: RE: Sandman Triathlon
(Fishing for comments) First race and a 4th place Clydesdale finish and not one comment....
2005-09-27 9:52 PM

Veteran
NoVa
Here ya go, big guy: You did great. You killed the bike and that's a real good run pace for a clyde. I'm a clyde also and thought long and hard about making this my first open water tri, second overall. First was in a pool in Richmond. I wimped out because of the long swim and decided to try Cape Henlopen instead on Oct 9, which is only 400m ocean swim. BTW, looking at the Sandman results, I'd have expected to be in the 30-ish clyde spot. Good job. Coming up to Henlopen?

Ron.
2005-09-28 5:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: Congrats!
You picked a TOUGH first tri swim! My son and I are both triathletes, but I couldn't arrange to compete in this one. This was his first ocean competition. WOW! Rough conditions... He finished in 1:25, but the swim really pushed him around...
Again, you did an awesome job! I enjoyed (and appreciated) your report...
2005-09-28 10:04 AM

User image

Elite

Damn good finish time considering the water conditions.  I probably would have been one of those returning to my car after seeing the swells.

Good job, way to hang in there.

-Michael

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sandman Triathlon Rss Feed