General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1/2 marathon after knee surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-05 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
Subject: 1/2 marathon after knee surgery
I am exactly 3 weeks post op from my 2nd scope (different knee) and the recovery is going GREAT. As of now I am on my feet most of my 10 hour days at work, and I can spin for 30 minutes...(haven't tried anything longer, but I am guessing it would be okay.) I am also in the process of deciding what next to train for and am thinking about the Ft. Collins mini-marathon (15 miles.) in early May. Can anyone recommend a good training program...anyone here use the Jeff Galloway method? Also, has anyone done a significant amount of running after knee arthroscopy? How did it go, how soon did you start, etc. I will also be "running" all this info by my PT, as well, since I know no two knees or scopes are the same... Thanks for your help!

2005-10-05 1:17 PM
in reply to: #259930

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Subject: RE: 1/2 marathon after knee surgery
I've had partial meniscectomy in my left knee and couldn't run for a couple of months after the surgery. In fact, I didn't really try as I decided to give my knee a chance to recover. I did a whole lot of cycling though with reinforcement exercices, etc. and I think it helped a lot. As of now, I can run 1/2 marathons with no problem...

From my own experience, the only good advice I can tell you would be to listen to your body... If you feel you can run, give it a chance. If it hurts, do something else...

Good luck,

Christian.
2005-10-05 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I've had my knees scoped 3 times. After the 3rd one, I did my first run about 2 weeks afterwards and was back to marathon training at week 4 (ran the marathon just fine 4 months afterwards). I did this because it felt good and I could tell that I wasn't doing damage.

Generally speaking, they say that 6 weeks is where you can resume normal activity. The good thing about running is that it will help break up the scar tissue that builds up from the procedure, and you should have a better long term recovery. Unless you've had a massive amout (75%+) removed, you should be able to run perfectly fine after recovery.

I'd say if it feels good, do it. Just make sure you can tell the difference between "it feels great" and "i want to run so badly that i force myself to believe that it feels great"

2005-10-05 11:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
No, I never want to run THAT badly...I just thought that a running goal might help out a little. Thanks for the advice! mine was a partial menisectomy and it turns out she only had to remove about 10%...not bad. We'll see how it goes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1/2 marathon after knee surgery Rss Feed