General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hip flexors and aero position Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-14 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Subject: hip flexors and aero position
I'm in the market for my first tri bike - up until now I've been riding a road bike, occasionally with clip-on aero bars. Lately I've been doing a lot of climbing and no races, so the aero bars have been off for a few months. I got fitted up for the tri bikes before I took them out for test rides, and then put in probably about 15-20 miles of total test riding time (on 5 different bikes).

I noticed that my hip flexors got tired/sore very quickly, and the day after, my quads are more fried than usual. I know that the steeper geometry on a tri bike (the seat angles on the bikes I rode varied from 76 to 78 degrees) causes different muscles to be recruited, but I've never seen an in-depth discussion of WHICH muscles are used more - so I'm wondering if this increased use of the hip flexors and quads is to be expected. I'm expecting a considerable adjustment period to the more aggressive aero position, but I'm curious as to what other people's experiences in making this transition have been.

Thanks for any info/feedback.

Scott

(in case anyone cares, I'm attaching a picture of me after being fitted on one of the bikes I was trying out...)

(kestrel-fitting.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
kestrel-fitting.jpg (73KB - 52 downloads)

2005-10-15 11:20 AM
in reply to: #265393

User image

Veteran
Washington DC
Subject: RE: hip flexors and aero position
A more forward position will generally shift some of the workload from the hip extesor muscles (upper hamstrings and glutes) the the quadriceps. Additional work on the hip flexors is unusual. Generally I struggle to teach riders to use ther hip flexors enough! If your torso/femur angle is more acute in the new position, you will use the hip flexors through a part of their range in which their leverage is worse, but they should adjust quickly enough. Can't provide anything more in depth without knowing about your revious position, but your position pictured looks pretty good.

Ken
2005-10-15 11:19 PM
in reply to: #265643

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Another leg shaver. 
2005-10-16 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
I say find a position to which you are comfortable. I did a lot of tests with my setup and I found that the more aero position was not the more efficient mechanically and, thus, the more efficient mechanically was not the more aerodynamic... If you're used with basic mechanics, I suggest that you modify your setup by yourself until you find the optimal position as I think that the optimal setup for oneself is unique and should not be based on theory (angles, etc.).

I noticed on the photo that your heel is rather high at the 6 o'clock position. Are you sure you seat is not a little bit too high ? My 0.02 cents...

Christian.
2005-10-16 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Scott,

I posted this a while before thinking it might be helpful for others :

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Good luck,

Christian.
2005-10-16 12:36 PM
in reply to: #265839

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Thanks for the feedback. I've been riding road bikes for a long time (about 20 years) but have just started triathlon in the last year, so this is my first tri bike - I'm just trying to figure out what is "normal" if there is such a thing. I'm more than willing to go through an adjustment period (especially now, since I won't be doing a race for another 4-5 months) - but obviously, the less adjustment necessary - the better. On the bikes I road, I felt pretty good as far as my upper body went (ie: no real back, neck soreness) but I definitely noticed I was using different leg muscles, which, as I understand it, is a big part of the point of the adjusted tri-bike geometry.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Scott

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hip flexors and aero position Rss Feed