General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trail running shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-16 8:44 AM

Subject: Trail running shoes?

Are they really that different from my regular running shoes? I wear Adidas Response Cushions and am totally in love with them. I'm actually afraid to try any other shoes, but since I'm starting to do trail runs I'm wondering if it's better to get trail shoes. Any thoughts/recommondations?

2005-10-16 8:35 PM
in reply to: #265817

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Trail running shoes?

The biggest problem I've had running off road in regular running shoes is that my foot would slide around in them, causing pain everywhere.  A good solid trail shoe felt more stable and solid and kept the foot from twisting so much.  If you have the $$ then go for it.

2005-10-16 8:53 PM
in reply to: #265817

User image

molto veloce mama
i had this same question last year when i was getting ready for the big woods 1/2 marathon trail run. my favorite running shop said to run in my regular running shoes. i did, and it was fine, despite the mud, rocks, roots, wet leaves, etc. ran in the same shoes yesterday (well, the same model, not the exact same pair). when i was racing yesterday, i saw folks who had wiped out who were wearing regular runners and also some who were wearing trail runners. they are supposed to give you extra traction, but i don't think it really makes that much difference to matter if your foot falls in the wrong spot on the trail. the only think i think they might help with are having extra cushion for the ball of your feet. the balls of my feet were feeling tender yesterday, but are okay today. anyway, if you have more than one pair of the adidas you like, run in those. they may wear out a tad faster from getting wet, but rotate and they should be just fine. if you find they really don't feel right on the trails (like getting sore feet), talk to your local running store about inserts and/or trail specific shoes.
2005-10-16 8:54 PM
in reply to: #266116

User image

molto veloce mama
btw, if you do opt for trail shoes, find out if adidas makes a trail shoe with the same last as the trainers you're running in now.
2005-10-17 8:21 AM
in reply to: #266116

You make the points I've been pondering. My Adidas are designed for extra cushion and stability, so I suspect they'd be ok for trail running. I've run in them on trials three times now and they feel ok, so I think I will stick with them. Aint broke yet, and also I can't really afford to buy trial shoes right now.

Thanks for the input.

autumn - 2005-10-16 8:53 PM i had this same question last year when i was getting ready for the big woods 1/2 marathon trail run. my favorite running shop said to run in my regular running shoes. i did, and it was fine, despite the mud, rocks, roots, wet leaves, etc. ran in the same shoes yesterday (well, the same model, not the exact same pair). when i was racing yesterday, i saw folks who had wiped out who were wearing regular runners and also some who were wearing trail runners. they are supposed to give you extra traction, but i don't think it really makes that much difference to matter if your foot falls in the wrong spot on the trail. the only think i think they might help with are having extra cushion for the ball of your feet. the balls of my feet were feeling tender yesterday, but are okay today. anyway, if you have more than one pair of the adidas you like, run in those. they may wear out a tad faster from getting wet, but rotate and they should be just fine. if you find they really don't feel right on the trails (like getting sore feet), talk to your local running store about inserts and/or trail specific shoes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trail running shoes? Rss Feed