General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The consequence of massage. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-11 12:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Wichita, KS
Subject: The consequence of massage.
I had my first professional massage this summer, and it was glorious. Deep tissue, focusing on the upper back and shoulders, really hammering out some knots I had up there. Afterwards, I had some flu-like symptoms, which I found out can be a normal side effect of releasing the toxins/lactic acid/whatever, which I understand. I find my upper back and shoulders screwing back up into knots now, though, a few months later.

Does anyone have rules of thumb or basic wisdom about how often to get sports/deep tissue massage? "As often as possible" I'm sure will be a popular answer, but is there any optimal time-between-massages where you get the most bang for your buck?

Edited by goodzen 2005-11-11 12:32 AM

2005-11-11 5:37 AM
in reply to: #282874

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: The consequence of massage.

When into heavy training, I was getting one about once a month. They usually would fall around a big event since I used races as training so that was my schedule...train, race, massage, rest, repeat.

I love my therapist and after working with him for over a year he really knows me and how to work my leg and back muscles. Its a much more enjoyable and rewarding (for your body) when you have an established person.

2005-11-11 10:49 AM
in reply to: #282874

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Subject: RE: The consequence of massage.
If I'm not having any specific problems, once a month is good. When I first started going, though, I had to go for 10 weeks straight to work out some serious muscle problems in my upper back. My therapist has given me really good stretching advice so I don't have to go as often, but I always go a couple days after a race to work out the kinks.

One thing I noticed (that may be different for me from other people) is that I need a day after the massage to recover before having a good workout. So when I was going regularly, I'd schedule a massage for the afternoon after a hard swim session and have a rest or easy day the next day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The consequence of massage. Rss Feed