General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-20 9:10 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Wetsuit question
I am doing my first tri in June. Given that I livce in the northeast, and the swim is in a lake, I am thinking that I may need a wetsuit. I have researched the cost of suits, and frankly don't want to lay out the $300 they appear to cost. (I've spent a fair amount getting myself ready already. New bike and gear, running shoes etc...)

I have looked at non-tri suits, mostly designed for surfing, and have found them to be much more resonable in price. I have read that these types of suits are not good for triathlons becuase they restrict movement, but I am wondering if one of them may do the trick for a season or two. Given that I am a new triathlete with no real goal other than finishing, are these types of suits a viable substitute for the more expensive tri suits?

Bill

2004-04-20 9:32 AM
in reply to: #20243

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: Wetsuit question
Have you checked any places that have last years models on sale? I got a 2003 Quintana Roo Ultrafull at www.nytro.com for less than $170. It is a perfect fit.
I had the same thoughts as you about wetsuits until I discovered the last years model sales.

Ian
2004-04-20 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
I think you will REALLY struggle in a non-tri wet suit. Your arms and legs will tire very quickly working against the stiffness in that type of suit. It's not that you won't be able to complete the swim, you probably will. But as Dave Scott has written, triathlons are all about efficiency. You've got to be able to relax during one event to save enough for the next event. Look for used or last year's models, but don't put yourself behind the 8-ball in the first event, especially since you've already gone to the expense of other quality equipment. Good luck!
2004-04-20 10:49 AM

Try www.e-metrosport.com I got a great deal on a 2003 QR wetsuit, and free shipping and no tax! What a deal. They were fast and efficient. The suit fits like a glove, and my wife thinks it looks SEXY. So needless to say, I"m happy.
2004-04-20 11:33 AM

User image

Regular
Pensacola, Florida
i bought a "shorty" wetsuit designed for surfing because i didn't want to spend $200 or so. it was a last minute thing since i didn't realize the water was that cold this time of year. well i tried the suit the day before the race and it seemed all right, but the day of the race i suffered. my arms and shoulders were severely restricted and coupled with the cold i felt exhausted. i don't know if it was ill-fitting or what, at least on the shoulders; from the waist down it fit rather loosely and it came off easily at T1. but my movement was impaied during the swim and it was not a pleasant experience. so i would say go for a tri suit. the complaint i have heard about surf suits is chafing, but i did not experience this, but it's something to consider. hope this helps. russell.
2004-04-20 11:34 AM

User image

Regular
Pensacola, Florida
i bought a "shorty" wetsuit designed for surfing because i didn't want to spend $200 or so. it was a last minute thing since i didn't realize the water was that cold this time of year. well i tried the suit the day before the race and it seemed all right, but the day of the race i suffered. my arms and shoulders were severely restricted and coupled with the cold i felt exhausted. i don't know if it was ill-fitting or what, at least on the shoulders; from the waist down it fit rather loosely and it came off easily at T1. but my movement was impaied during the swim and it was not a pleasant experience. so i would say go for a tri suit. the complaint i have heard about surf suits is chafing, but i did not experience this, but it's something to consider. hope this helps. russell. sorry, hit submit twice. computer is slow

Edited by puffin 2004-04-20 11:35 AM

2004-04-20 11:52 AM

For my very first tri last year, I too bought a shorty non-tri specific wetsuit. It worked farily well with not really bad issues, but I think it may have been a little big for me. I just bought a full tri wetsuit that I have not had the opporutnity to try out yet. It was last year's model on sale, but still cost $315.00.

You could rent a suit for your first tri and see how you like it. Rental fees often can be applied to a purchase if you do decide.

2004-04-20 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I did my first ocean swim (not a tri) and then a sprint tri in my surfing wetsuit - a fairly heavy one - and had no problem. The suit fits me well and was well broken in, and there wasn't much risk of my setting world speed records while swimming. I think if you make sure you can move comfortably you can do fine with a surfing wetsuit. I guess I'd go for it if you're a surfer already or can get a used one or a really good discount, otherwise I'd be tempted to put the $ toward a tri wetsuit because that's what you'll ultimately want.
2004-04-20 1:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
I looked into renting a wetsuit for my daughter and it was pretty reasonable; they ship it to you, you ship it back and they will even apply the rental to the price of a new one(trisports.com). I think that renting might be a better option than spending money on a wetsuit that really isn't what you need. Also, check with your local tri-club. They may have an equipment loaner program. Good luck!
2004-04-20 6:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Adel
I've yet to race in it, but I have tried it out at the pool and it's awesome. But I bought a Promotion wetsuit. You can find them at www.wetsuit.com. I think that their prices are great compared with others and occasionally they have some nice sales on the site. I went with the sleeveless suit and my wife bought me the tri sleeves for xmas, for those early season races.
2004-04-20 6:26 PM

User image

Regular
Seattle
Do NOT try to swim in anything other than a TRI wetsuit. There have been several threads, but bottom line is tri wetsuits are designed for swimming fast, and nothing else comes close. Surfing suits will tire your arms, and you'll find yourself fighting the bouyancy (surf suits keep you upright, tri suits keep you horizontal). Your goal may just be to finish, but it's a heck of a lot easier if your wetsuit keeps you feeling fresh.

As hermom said, you can rent. Trisports.com, or check out your local triathlon shop. Lots of places will rent for about $50 per race.

Also, look at last year's models, or on eBay.

Finally, as Tri_Iowa mentioned, ProMotion has very reasonable prices on new suits - $136 for sleeveless and $200 for full. I've got their sleeveless plus tri sleeves (separate), and have been very happy with them (completed half IM and full IM swims feeling great).
http://www.wetsuit.com/store/products.cfm?category_name=salementria...

2004-04-20 10:39 PM
in reply to: #20377

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
If you're talking about IM distances or seriously competing at shorter distances, I think you're completely right that you only want a tri wetsuit. If you're starting out doing this whole thing more casually, only doing sprint distances and you already have a surfing wetsuit, call me crazy but I think it's a little over the top to spring for a tri wetsuit right away, unless you bleed cash or something.
2004-04-21 12:08 AM

, Alabama

I agree with the tri-wetsuit vote.  I've competed in a regular shorty, and although it's better than nothing, believe me, you might as well spend a little more and go for the tri-specific suit. 

Sharon

2004-04-21 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Thanks for all the input. Based on all of the suggestions, I think I am going to order a tri-suit on line. (Looks like I can pick one up for between $130 and $180) Just one more question: Will a sleeveless suit suffice? I don't intend on swimming any true cold water races. Water in the 60s will likely be as low as I go.

Bill
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit question Rss Feed