General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sudden Intense Foot Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-22 6:51 AM

Regular
Missoula, MT
Subject: Sudden Intense Foot Pain
Yesterday when I put my shoes on to go to spinning first thing in the morning I noticed that my right foot was feeling a little crampy. I figured the dog had slept on it and brushed it off. During spinning it felt like a mild cramp, but when I tired to put weight on it after class I could barely walk. It wasn't a more intense class than usual, and I did or wore nothing new. I tried to ice it but that really makes it hurt, heat seems to help for the moments it stays warm, and I just wrapped it and it feels like it is on fire. I am still hobbling around this morning.

The pain is on the outside of my right foot, towards the middle, where the little bump is on the side. It radiates toward my little toe on the sole and up over the top of my foot in front of my ankle bone. It hurts to flex and point, to put weight on it (particularly after sitting), and to spread my toes.

I didn't do much last week, just miles on the bike and some swimming. Does anyone have an idea as to what this pain might stem from or be caused by?

2005-11-22 7:17 AM
in reply to: #290203

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Sudden Intense Foot Pain
Go have it checked out. Possible stress fracture or muscle pull. It could also be as you said cramp/dog related. Don't wait too long. Give it a day or two at the most, if you still have pain, it easily could be a stress fracture that has displaced.
2005-11-22 11:23 AM
in reply to: #290218

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port

velocomp - 2005-11-22 7:17 AM Go have it checked out. Possible stress fracture or muscle pull. It could also be as you said cramp/dog related. Don't wait too long. Give it a day or two at the most, if you still have pain, it easily could be a stress fracture that has displaced.

I concur.  If you still have acute pain after a couple of days, go see your doc. 

2005-11-22 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
WV
LauraLee - 2005-11-22 5:51 AM
The pain is on the outside of my right foot, towards the middle, where the little bump is on the side. It radiates toward my little toe on the sole and up over the top of my foot in front of my ankle bone. It hurts to flex and point, to put weight on it (particularly after sitting), and to spread my toes.

I didn't do much last week, just miles on the bike and some swimming. Does anyone have an idea as to what this pain might stem from or be caused by?

It could be a case of peroneal tenditis or Jone's Fracture from the location you are giving on the pain. Since you didn't mention a specific incident that caused it, I would lean towards the tendinits. A fracture of that nature is caused by a similar mechanism to an ankle sprain. Ice the area consistently and have it checked out.
2005-11-23 10:01 PM

Regular
Missoula, MT
I went to the foot doc this morning, and so far good news. I got the x-rays done and while he cautioned that it could be a stress fracture that he couldn't immediately see, he felt like it was a tendon injury. But...the bad news is he is not sure how badly it is injured, could be a strain could be a tear since it progressed from very little pain to not being able bear weight fairly quickly. So I am in a rocketsock for a week, taking celebrex and a return appointment for next week to see how the progress is going.

I am keeping my fingers crossed! My bike is calling my name and it is perfect weather in Florida right now.
2016-07-19 2:12 AM
in reply to: Guest

Make sure that you dont have arthritis.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sudden Intense Foot Pain Rss Feed