General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone interested in starting a multi-sport club in Frisco, Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-27 10:19 PM

New user

Subject: Anyone interested in starting a multi-sport club in Frisco, Texas
Hey all,

I was curious if anyone around the Frisco, Texas area would be interested in starting a multi-sport club. The city's great (I just moved here), but I'm not finding any running, or tri clubs around here (you have to travel to Dallas).

I thought maybe start simple (meet at the local bike store for a long ride on Saturdays, and maybe a long run on Sunday or some other day of the week). Just let me know . . . you can contact me at: [email protected].

Thx,
Chris

2005-11-28 7:26 AM
in reply to: #292794

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
Subject: RE: Anyone interested in starting a multi-sport club in Frisco, Texas

Chris, I had actually asked if there were any in the area and here's the limited response on it:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26300&posts=4

If you are interested in doing it then here is a USAT pdf file on how to go abou it.  I was actually interested in starting one myself, but don't have the time with school and work looming.  But if you are serious and would like some help then I'm definitely in.  I think a tri-club is a great idea and would be well worth the effort.

2005-11-28 10:19 AM

New user

I'm thinking maybe we start informally: we could meet for Saturday mornings for the RBM rides and then do a run afterward (a nice T2 workout) from the RBM (there are some backroads around the store nice for running). Maybe a half-hour (5K) loop that those who want to run longer can if they desire.

I'm contacting RBM to see if they have any multi-sport clubs. If not, perhaps they might pass on the word to customers at the store that we might have a run after the rides for triathletes.

I'll find out when the morning rides start and let you all know . . . If you have any other ideas, let me know.

Thx,
Chris
2005-11-28 11:09 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-11-28 11:20 AM
in reply to: #293049

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca
Good luck guys. I grew up in Celina and was just back there a few weeks ago.  That is sure not the Frisco I remember but I guess everything needs to change. I never thought I would be in a traffic jam on Preston Road aka 289.  Just don't get too far out of town. Pickups, rednecks and beer do not mix with bikes.
2005-11-28 1:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
Sounds great, let us know what you find out.

2005-11-28 1:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
count me in!

i live in allen and frisco ain't no thang. i'm also the coolest cat around, but thats neither here nor there.

my work schedule will be changing soon so i'm useless as far as scheduling discussions are concerned, but keep in contact with me and we'll see what we can do!

if you need help with logisticis/web prescense/anything like that then i'd be more than willing to help out. i'm a resourceful sonofagun
2005-11-28 1:34 PM

Expert
Plano, TX
I'd be interested. I often join the Frisco RBM ride on Saturday mornings. (Look for me in the Cookie Monster jersey, if it's not cold.)

The difficult issue with our part of town is finding someplace to organize open-water swims. The tri-clubs in Coppell or Dallas seem to be situated to take advantage of Lake Grapevine or White Rock. An organized swim with other people would be a huge draw for me. For safety, I refuse to swim open-water by myself.
2005-11-28 1:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
I think we have some time to figure out where to do an open swim but that would be cool too!
2005-11-28 2:12 PM

New user

Here's what I'm thinking: we start with a low-key practice (see #1 below) at the same time and locale at regular intervals.

1. The RBM rides start at 9am on Saturday, and go for about 1:45 min. I was thinking we start informally: meet up for the ride. Then, if anyone want's to stay after and do a run, we could run a 5K loop (along the same back roads of the ride). That way, you can run the loop at your own pace, and whatever distance they want.

I'll be up at RBM this Saturday (I'll be the guy with the Tecate beer jersey).

2. As for open swims, I'll look around. Are their parts of Lake Lewisville close to Frisco? I'll check. I'd like to find things that are free.

3. If we get enough interest, we can register with USAT (maybe as North Texas Multisport Club or something like that). That way, we get some on discounts on events and other goodies : ) We'll see where we are in a couple weeks.

4. I'd like to do the MS 150 (www.ms150.org) this year. Any of you interested in doing that maybe under the guise of this club.

Just let me know . . . I'm easy.

Thx,
Chris
2005-11-28 2:18 PM
in reply to: #293281

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas
I'm new here, but am in the area and would join too for a ride and/or run on occasion. It's a little far for me as well (i'm in Grapevine), but I'd join in for a change of scenery for sure.

Also, with regards to open water swims, Lake Ray Roberts has a nice area for open water swimming. I went out there with Dallas Aquatic Masters one year for a campout/open water swim/tri weekend deal and it was pretty cool. It was fairly choppy out there that particular weekend, but it was nice.

2005-11-28 2:45 PM

New user

When I say RBM, I mean the one in Frisco : )

Definately -- trigirl74 -- if you're ever in the Plano/Frisco area, come on by. Also, if you want to do the MS150 this year and want to sign up with a team, let us know (although we don't have a name yet).

Thx,
Chris

2005-11-28 3:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
I can't ride this weekend because of prior commitments, but that sounds cool (especially the Frisco RBM part!)  I assume you were referring to the DFW part of the MS150 and yeah, I'd be in for that too.
2005-11-30 10:57 AM

New user

FYI, we're going to meet this Saturday for a transition run, and Sunday for a long run. If you're free, come on out. Check out the link below.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2005-11-30 12:33 PM

Expert
Plano, TX
This Saturday? Hmmm.. decisions, decisions.... this Saturday at 10:00 is the Frisco REI's annual "garage sale". I was planning to be there when they open to look for some bargains. (Could really use a decent cycling jacket or some gloves before it actually gets cold here.)

Would it be correct to assume that you're only doing the first loop of the RBM ride? There are a couple of us that usually do the second loop of the hilly sections, but I won't feel guilty about missing it. (Besides, one-loop route + a run will already would take a decent chunk of the morning. I don't know if the wife would be very happy about a two-loop route+run and then another long run on Sunday.)
2005-11-30 1:10 PM

New user

David,

Yeah, I think one loop sounds good. Is that about twenty-some miles?

I didn't know about the REI sale. I'll have to check that out.

I can't find my Tecate jersey. I'll be wearing some kind of beer jersey : )

Thx,
Chris

2005-12-02 5:19 PM

New user

Group,

I won't be able to make the ride/transition run tomorrow (work has ambushed me). However, a group of us are meeting on Sunday for a long run. It's at 3:30pm at the Preston Ridge CCCCD campus (under the three flags at the front of the building).

However, I'll be at RBM next Saturday for a ride, run. Sorry for any inconvenience : )

Thx,
Chris
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone interested in starting a multi-sport club in Frisco, Texas Rss Feed