Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-11-29 1:36 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: Michigan Roll Call

All...I was thinking about the next Mafia Shindig...and realized that it's been awhile since we took a Michigan group training census...and there have been a lot of new folks from MI that have joined BT since, well, August. 

So, if you're interested in group training over the winter, or racing with the rest of the Michigan Mafia (BT) crowd, go ahead and post whatever you'd like to share. 

Here...it's easy...

I'm Rick, based in Rochester Hills, kind of intermediate, I'll probably do 5-6 OLY's, and long running races next year.  I'm up for group runs and swims over the winter, and will probably coordinate at least one of 'em if Corporal Fromer will let me.

2005-11-29 2:35 PM
in reply to: #294090

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Michigan Roll Call
Ah the Mafia.  Somehow still never met any of you.

I'm in Ann Arbor (a graduate student), and I'm beginner even though I've raced two seasons.  I have never been very disciplined about working out, sigh.  I run about 10-11 min. miles, will soon commence training for a half mary, and think I"ll do a couple sprints, maybe an OLY next year.

my favorite part of tri-ing is swimming.

it would be nice to meet some of you, even if it is to do one of my favorite things - EAT, drink beer, and maybe watch some football.  go chargers!
2005-12-04 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids MI
Beginner in Grand Rapids - Training for Florida 1\2 in May and will do some oly's through out the summer.

Look forward to meeting some people this year

Scott
2005-12-05 4:24 PM

Veteran
Michigan

Beginner in Royal Oak/Berkley area (near the zoo).  I completed my first two Sprints this past summer - and I am doing an Olympic distance "race" this coming Monday.  Ok, so it's not a real "race" because I will be the only one doing it. ; )  I just thought it would be fun to complete an Oly to celebrate my birthday!  I plan on doing a few Sprints and Olys this summer.

Keep me in the loop regarding any group training!

2005-12-06 7:27 AM

Clinton Twp, MI
Hello, I'm Nick, in Clinton Twp. I'm a beginner who did three short Du's last year and am currently re-learning how to swim for tri's next. I'll need to target my races for next season, roughly 1 a month, any suggestions?

I would be interested in some group training and meet some of the friendly voices on this site, but not until after the holidays when the schedule clears-up.

2005-12-06 8:26 AM
in reply to: #299698

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON

I'm Jean, and I'm an honourary mafia member (I live in Windsor). 2005 was my first tri season, and I completed 1 duathlon, and 4 sprint triathlons. I also ran my first ½ marathon at Detroit in October.

In 2006, I am hoping to complete my first Olympic distance tri, a couple or three sprints, and, maybe, a half-iron at the end of the summer.

I'm (as always) up for a group run or swim over the winter.

2005-12-06 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Live in Shelby Township and can usually be found running or biking at Stoney Creek (local metro park). First season at tri's completed 5 sprints this summer.

Up for a run or ride over the winter. Swim like a brick!
2005-12-07 7:06 PM

Grand Rapids, MI
Hey Guys! From Grand Rapids, MI.
Been doing tris now for 3years. I've done 2 HIM (Florida & Steelhead, here in MI) and now on to my biggest goal yet...IM Wisconsin.
Also will be doing the following races in 2006....
Johans Trifest (Olympic in June, Coopersville, MI)
Great Lakes Tri (July-Middleville, MI)
Steelhead HIM (August-Benton Harbor, MI)
Little Smokies HIM (Ohio in May)

Would like to know what's up with all you all....
2005-12-28 9:07 AM

Regular
Hollywood, CA
BRAND NEW to tri-ing...kind of want to join the triathlon club at MSU but i'm a bit intimidated.

Former cross country high school runner, started again last year...am training for a half-marathon (Martian Marathon, Northville 4/1) right now, am looking at the willow duathlon in may, but have my sights set on my first tri, Motor City on Belle Isle (6/25). I'm getting in the pool for my first workout swim ever when I get back to State, but am nervous. Also nervous about getting a good bike. But hey, I can do it!!!!
2005-12-28 6:05 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

Hey, Victory and Trichic...great to have the MI contingent growing. We've got a pretty diverse crowd, but some hell athletes...so there's good riding and racing to be had. 

I posted my prelim race schedule on a separate thread...What's worth doing (it makes it easier) is to blog your races in the 'your races' section, that way anyone else (from anywhere) that's running the race can find you, and vice versa. 

And...I've got steelhead in my sights.  I just don't know if I'll log the volume necessary.  Heh.  We'll see....

2005-12-28 6:10 PM

Grand Rapids, MI
Steelhead is a great race. I actually PR'd in that race and it was only my 2nd 1/2 IM. It was cool to swim in Lake Michigan. The bike and run course was fun as well. Let me know if you're thinking of doing it.

2005-12-28 7:23 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
Oh, I'm *thinking* about it.  We're actually over in Grand Rapids early in the season for Seahorse.  And the 5th 3rd Riverbank 25k.  Good way to open the season.  You up for either of those?
2005-12-29 2:46 AM

Grand Rapids, MI
Unfortunately not. The 5th 3rd is a week before my half and Seahorse is not on my scheduled races to do. My coach is only allowing me to do 4 races total including my IM. But I am thinking of doing a couple of 1/2 Marathons in the summer to cover for my long runs. I did Borgess and Ludington (both 1/2 marathons)last year. They were a blast. Awesome courses!!!!!
2006-01-14 7:25 PM

birmingham michigan
Hello All. My name is Jenny and I am an...shit, wrong group.  I live in Birmingham so I am pretty central to all.  I started last year with sprint du's (my very first was with fellow bt'ers who took pity on me and showed me the ropes) and finished with an Olympic tri and Detroit Marathon Relay.  I am currently registered for St. Anthony's and Make a Wish 300.  Haven't figured out all the other races.  Planning on just having alot of fun with it this year.  It's good to see so many people responding, keep me updated!
2006-01-14 7:54 PM
in reply to: #324249

User image

Master
Michigan

czarjenny - 2006-01-14 8:25 PM Hello All. My name is Jenny and I am an...shit, wrong group.  I live in Birmingham so I am pretty central to all.  I started last year with sprint du's (my very first was with fellow bt'ers who took pity on me and showed me the ropes) and finished with an Olympic tri and Detroit Marathon Relay.  I am currently registered for St. Anthony's and Make a Wish 300.  Haven't figured out all the other races.  Planning on just having alot of fun with it this year.  It's good to see so many people responding, keep me updated!

Nice to have ya and good luck with this years races.

2006-01-18 7:58 PM

birmingham michigan

Okay all!  Time to pull out those calenders and let's pick some dates!  Did I hear something about later this month?

2006-01-19 7:49 AM

Grand Rapids, MI
I'm prettymuch open for the weekends. The only thing I have is I teach spin Saturday mornings from 10:00-11:15. So I guess, Sundays are the best for me. Whether it be a long run or long bike.
2006-01-20 10:03 AM

birmingham michigan
Sundays are much easier for me as well.
2006-05-03 1:22 PM

Boulder, CO
Hey all, Josh (24) in Royal Oak. Looking into my first Tri this summer. Thinking about the Bell Isle Sprint... Anyone else?

Always looking for someone to ride with... Any ideas for a good road ride originating in the RO area or a regular ride group?

My only goal for my first race is to finish, I am pretty confident I can do the sprint distances and would like to eventually complete an olympic length. Normal running for me is 2-5 miles at 6:30-8:00min/mile (depending on distance).

2006-05-04 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Hi everyone-

I live in Detroit and my first sprint tri will be the Belle Isle Tri. I am thinking about Stoney Creek and Ann Arbor. I would love to find people to train with! I just ran my first 10K in April and I plan on doing the Turkey Trot this year.

I was going to start another thread about this but I might as well throw it out. Can anyone recommend a good sports nutritionist in the Metro Detroit area?
2006-06-21 2:39 PM

Royal Oak, MI
Hi all,

I've been on this site since the beginning of this year but just found this section. I'm in the Royal Oak area, a beginner, and I've been training since January. The Vineman Half Ironman July 30th in Sonoma is my main race of the year. I know it's a bit optimistic to do a HIM your first year, but I needed something scary to motivate me. So far, the training has been going really well, ,and I've done the Ann Arbor Triathlon and will be doing the Motor City Oly Distance this Sunday. I've also done a few road races.

I do most of my running up in Auburn Hills near work, in Royal Oak, or at Kensington. I stick mainly to Kensington for biking (so far), and swim either at the JCC in Oak Park or Kensington/Island Lake.

-Ray

Edited by expensivehobby22 2006-06-21 2:42 PM

2006-06-21 6:50 PM
in reply to: #461916

Veteran
Michigan

expensivehobby22 - 2006-06-21 3:39 PM Hi all, I've been on this site since the beginning of this year but just found this section. I'm in the Royal Oak area, a beginner, and I've been training since January. The Vineman Half Ironman July 30th in Sonoma is my main race of the year. I know it's a bit optimistic to do a HIM your first year, but I needed something scary to motivate me. So far, the training has been going really well, ,and I've done the Ann Arbor Triathlon and will be doing the Motor City Oly Distance this Sunday. I've also done a few road races. I do most of my running up in Auburn Hills near work, in Royal Oak, or at Kensington. I stick mainly to Kensington for biking (so far), and swim either at the JCC in Oak Park or Kensington/Island Lake. -Ray

Hey Ray, I swim at the Oak Park JCC too.  I wonder if it was you that I talked to a while back?  It was in the morning and the guy was training for an HIM.  Was it you?

Anyway, I am doing the Motor City Tri this weekend too - unless I chicken out.  I am a strong swimmer but I am not sure about swimming in a river with a current.  I also don't have a wetsuit so I am not sure this is a good idea.  Are you wearing a wetsuit?

2006-06-22 7:19 AM
in reply to: #462204

Royal Oak, MI
Hi...Yes, that was me. Haven't seen you there in awhile.

Are you doing the sprint or oly? I've gotten to be a reasonable swimmer. I'm just not fast. So, the swim does worry me a bit as well. I will have a wetsuit though. Judging by how you swam at the JCC I think you would have no problems.

"Hey Ray, I swim at the Oak Park JCC too. I wonder if it was you that I talked to a while back? It was in the morning and the guy was training for an HIM. Was it you?

Anyway, I am doing the Motor City Tri this weekend too - unless I chicken out. I am a strong swimmer but I am not sure about swimming in a river with a current. I also don't have a wetsuit so I am not sure this is a good idea. Are you wearing a wetsuit?"
2006-06-22 9:56 AM
in reply to: #462501

Veteran
Michigan

expensivehobby22 - 2006-06-22 8:19 AM Hi...Yes, that was me. Haven't seen you there in awhile. Are you doing the sprint or oly? I've gotten to be a reasonable swimmer. I'm just not fast. So, the swim does worry me a bit as well. I will have a wetsuit though. Judging by how you swam at the JCC I think you would have no problems.

I knew it had to be you.  Not that many people are crazy enough to shoot for an HIM their first season!    I haven't been to the JCC in a while because I swim in an outdoor pool with a Masters Swim group in the summer. 

I am doing the Sprint distance this weekend.  So, you think I will be ok without a wetsuit or am I nuts?  It's only 500 yards and the water temp is currently 71-72 so I should stop stressing over it and just do it, right?

2006-06-22 10:03 AM

Royal Oak, MI
I would think you would be ok, judging by your level of swimming and what has been said about the event swim. Temp should be fine for you. I've swum a few times this year in just under 70 w/o a wetsuit, and it wasn't that bad.

Any more experienced folks want to chime in?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Michigan Roll Call Rss Feed  

of 2