General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Health update for weightloss cronies Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-27 6:25 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: Health update for weightloss cronies
All right.

I am now on running hiatus for 2 weeks. That's not bad right??? I can handle it. I know I can... Spoken like a coke addict as I use my credit card to make my lines...

Ugh.

So I can't remember all the doctor words, but here's the prescription:

2 weeks of NO RUNNING!!
Followed by 2 weeks of limited running on treadmill only
3x600mg of ibuprofin daily
6x15min of icing daily
PT for the next 4 weeks or so

Here's what I recall. Bursitis (from overuse?); unnaturally thin space between patella and other leg bones, yet loose lateral movement of patella; patella does not move vertically but tends to pop out of groove to the outside of my leg when bent; etc., etc.

Nothing surprising. And as I said, 2 weeks is not too bad, and he has not restricted any of my other triathlon training activities. Feel free to yell at me if I ever post a run on my training log for the next 2 weeks!

Of course 2 weeks feels hard when you only have 103 days left until your Ironman.

Sigh.

Of course if I had taken care of this when it first happened... yadda yadda yadda.

All right, back to the icing!

Dana

2005-12-27 7:50 PM
in reply to: #312177

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Health update for weightloss cronies
Dana, better this should happen now than much closer to your race.  You will still have time to get the long distances and bricks in that you need to.  Honestly, 2 weeks is going to be okay.  You still have time before your race.  Not to mention that you know you can do the marathon distance of your race.  Try not to obsess about it and think about all that swimming you can do over the next 2 weeks.  Not to mention, you still get to ride your bike.  Of course that means that you should have no trouble making your swim challenge goals!
2005-12-27 8:31 PM

User image

Aw, that sucks, Dana. I send some sympathy your way - from my recently torn calf to your bursitis.

Just make sure you're completely healed before you start running again! If it takes three weeks, then so be it. Nothing quite like reinjuring yourself because you thought it would be okay to run.............

(btw, how are you icing? i found the most effective way for me is to have a whole ton of pre-filled, pre-frozen dixie cups in the freezer.. rip away the paper and ice your skin directly with a big towel underneath. i like it much better than bags of ice or gel packs)
2005-12-28 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Sorry to hear about this setback for you. I read a very interesting article on women who tri and get injuries from running. The recommendation was to build muscle mass in legs through strength training. I will link you the article when I find it. I'm so sorry you have to lay low for a while. Hope the ice and rest and PT are good therapy. I think most of us here have had an injury. It sucks You'll bounce back. Hopefully, in time for the IM you're reaching for!

2005-12-28 2:28 PM

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas
Could you try water running? That is totally non-impact. Get in a deep, deep pool (where your feet don't touch the bottom), put on a water belt, and run laps. There's also A TON of modifications you can do to this to make it not so monotonous.

I had stress fractures in both legs and was off running for 14 weeks. Believe me, I know running injuries and having to take breaks. I didn't listen to my body and kept running until the problem forced me into crutches and I was 7 weeks away from a marathon. It was heartbreaking.

Pool running did me some major good though... we did lots and lots of intervals. And, funny thing... after the injury I was running as fast, if not even faster, than I was before the injury. My endurance took a little bit of a hit, but that came back really quickly too. That following spring I set PR's in 5K, 10K, 8K. It was a great season.

Don't worry... if you can do some cross-training, of which you're already doing lots with the IM training, you'll be golden. Maybe just take these two weeks to focus on swimming or something like that. It could totally be a blessing in disguise.

Good luck!!! We're all cheering for you!
2005-12-28 6:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Dana...hugs from MA....just think all the time you can spend riding and swimming.

Glad you got it checked out before it got worse. I like the idea of doing pool running....I see some people do it at one of the pools I swim at. Nice way to keep up the workouts, keep cool, and burn more calories.

I hope the PT helps...and you heal/recover fast.

My Patella has been bugging me and my doc. says it is a women thing...with our wide hips our legs don't go straight into our knees....so it can cause some pain.

2005-12-28 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Thanks you guys!

I'll check with the PT tomorrow and ask about the pool running. I'd like to do something if I can... and hey maybe it will count as laps towards the swim challenge??? (o:

Dana
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Health update for weightloss cronies Rss Feed