General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with Food Cravings Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-05 10:02 AM

User image

Houston, Texas
Subject: Help with Food Cravings
I have kept a log of what I have eaten since the 1st of January. Aside from the Twinkies for breakfast on the 1st (wink), I don't think I've done terrible, but certainly not great. The problem I'm running into is this, although I'm eating my acceptable "portions" and certainly not depriving myself, I can't help but feel STARVED and want seconds. I find myself watching the clock and counting down to when I can "reward" myself with food. It's crazy. If I'm NOT watching what I eat, I probably eat less than when I am and I'm just fine. I'm sure it's all just mental and part of the cold-turkey/get in shape process. But still...finding it very difficult to stay motivated and on track with the whole food thing. Just finished breakfast and I'm craving a big plate of spaghetti like you can't believe! GRRR

(Stats: 5'7, 136lb, thin-normal build)

2006-01-05 12:06 PM
in reply to: #317126

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Help with Food Cravings
How many meals are you eating each day?  It might be helpful to eat 6 - 7 smaller meals so that you don't feel hungry so often and you aren't counting down on the clock.  Typically, my day is something like this:

Breakfast: cereal or waffle w/peanut butter
Morning snack: yogurt or fruit
Lunch: sandwich with fruit or veggies
Afternoon snack: yogurt, fruit, or luna bar
Dinner: chicken or fish with salad, pasta
Evening snack: piece of toast w/peanut butter

2006-01-05 1:58 PM

User image

Houston, Texas
I've been eating continuously, sort of. The usual breakfast is: 2-3 hard boiled egg whites & either oatmeal or cream of wheat. The cereal part is bland, but I don't know what to eat otherwise for breakfasts that isn't high in fat. Lunch is usually salad or a sandwhich etc. and Dinner, up until recently, consisted of chicken, rice & veggies (almost every day). I don't drink enough water, I know THAT is a bad thing. But when I eat the smaller meals all day long, I feel like I'm not getting a FULL meal if that makes sense, and I'm "mentally hungry". If I eat the three meals, I'm usually ok, but want seconds. So either way...doomed...either feeling hungry or thinking I'm feeling hungry. I'm sure it's just conditioning, but I was just wondering if there are some foods that TRIGGER the bad habits and feeling of being hungry...if so, I'll avoid those. My MAJOR weeknesses are Coffee (CANNOT drink it black), pasta and cheese so if it's any of those...I'll have to kick up the exercise! Thanks!
2006-01-05 2:14 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Vertigo - 2006-01-05  10:02 AM

I
(Stats: 5'7, 136lb, thin-normal build)

If this is the case why on earth are you counting???

I felt the way you do when I was on a  pre-competition bodybuilding type of diet (the only difference is that I wasn't competing, I just wanted to look really good in my wedding photos).  I felt just like that...even the "unsatisfied" feeling. I was eating six meals daily of 250 calories each...I was never full.  

the simple fact is, it sounds to me like you are A) not eating enough calories  or B) not eating enough of something...carbs maybe?  After looking at your logs that would be my guess since it doesn't look like you're eating much of those except for Wednesday. 

Since your workouts weren't logged it's hard to say but if you are tri-training that means you need at least a few carbs! I know a lot of people like to do the low carb thing but even when I was dieting for my wedding I ate more carbs that you are now...and i felt like GARBAGE!  I ate my meals on a strict schedule and for the hour before I ate I was headachey, grouchy as heck and couldn't focus on anything.  It's a wonder i didn't fail the classes I was taking or kill my kids.

I didn't count but your overall calories look really low too.  Maybe you feel like you're starving because you are starving?

Edited by CindyK 2006-01-05 2:15 PM
2006-01-06 9:30 AM

User image

Houston, Texas
WOW...I didn't realize you guys could see my logs! Glad I didn't put anything embaressing in there. lol Anyhow, to answer your question, yes, those are my correct stats. BUT, I have excess fat in the hip and thigh area that needs losing. I don't intend to lose any weight, but I do expect to firm up with muscle. So I'm watching my fat intake mostly, cutting back on sweets and those things that are relatively unhealthy in the grand scheme of things. Today was my first day back working out. I woke up at 6am and BELIEVE ME...it was ROUGH (I'm so not a morning person) and went to the gym. I ate one Balance Granola Bar and water, then spent 20 minutes on the Eliptical machine (medium incline), and then ran just short of 1/2 mile. Right now I'm feeling soooooooo much energy. So...I'm going to try to do this again tomorrow and then next...and hopefully I'll get myself back into the gym on a regular basis. (I was out for a few months during the holidays under chiropractic care.) When I'm working out, my food cravings are altered, so maybe that will help...

Edited by Vertigo 2006-01-06 9:32 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with Food Cravings Rss Feed