General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking about doing the pigman long course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-06 10:14 PM

Veteran
Las Vegas
Subject: Thinking about doing the pigman long course
I need some advice this will be my first year doing triathlons. i thinking about just setting the bar high and registering for the Pigman Long course in August. i know that eight months away which to me is more than enough time but some people are telling me just to stick to sprint tri my first year. would you recommend registering our wait till next year.

Thanks for your advice!

2006-01-06 11:41 PM
in reply to: #318693

Subject: RE: Thinking about doing the pigman long course
You can do a half your first year if you have the right background. Have you run a Marathon (or at least a half-Marathon) before? Have you ever ridden your bike, say, 30 miles? Have you done a continuous swim of a half-mile or more? If you can say yes--or at least close to yes--to at least two of these, then a half is a reasonable goal. However, if you've never run more than a few miles or need to learn how to swim, then maybe you shouldn't do a half.

BTW, Pigman is a nice race. I'd highly recommend it!
2006-01-23 11:25 AM
in reply to: #318693

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Thinking about doing the pigman long course
I would go ahead and register. I did Pigman last summer and loved it...race report:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Just because its your first year, don't let the HIM distance scare you. Just use it as a way to gain experience without putting pressure on yourself. Although I came from a strong running/marathon background, last summer was my first year in triathlon. I didn't even get into the pool until June (first time in decades) and this was my first year of serious bike training. I did an Olympic tri mid-summer before Pigman. I'll be doing Pigman again this summer just before Ironman WI. Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking about doing the pigman long course Rss Feed