General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-10 2:31 AM

Subject: First Half Ironman
For my sins, the guys that I run with have convinced me to do my first half ironman and only my second triathlon.
If anyone can advise me on what clothing to wear for each of the disciplines, what liquids I should have on my bike and what kind of food should I have with me on the bike or even the run. Should I have two water bottles on my bike and generally what kinda of liquid replacement should I be having. Will energy bars be good enough for nutrition on the bike?
Basically any tips or advice on the what and hows of the race would be appreciated.
Are there also "water stations" on the ride?

This is the Half Ironman in Vanderbjlpark, South Africa.

2006-01-10 7:54 AM
in reply to: #320301

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-01-10 8:03 AM
in reply to: #320352

Giver
Subject: RE: First Half Ironman

Good advice from Aaron. I'd add a wetsuit, since you're in SA. ANd also, whatever you plan to eat/drink on race day, make sure you use it in training.

Also, if there are bottle exchanges on the bike, you can probably get by with two bottles, one of water, the oter of the energy drink of your choice. Using the energy drink they provide at the race makes things easier, but you have to use it in your training to make sure you can tolerate it. So find out what it is and get some. 

2006-01-10 8:42 AM

Elite
Racine, WI

My first Half IM was my second ever triathlon ever, if you train properly and have a good base you will be fine

I don't tolerate solids when racing.  My stomach also tends to be picky regarding nutrition drinks so I carry 3 bottles - 2 of my drink and one for water.  There should be water available on the course.  Also don't neglect your electrolytes.  Depending on what sports drink you use and the climate and your body you may or may not need more.  I carry a fair amount of gel since I don't take in solids.

Experiment with all all of the above in your training so that by race day you will know exactly what works.

2006-01-10 8:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

As far as nutrition, there are plenty of articles here & on other tri sites that discuss approaches to 1/2 IM nutirtion and I would stress practicing nutrition on your long workouts to find out what works for you. Tris are really 4 disciplines - Swim/bike/run/nutirition.

Just remember - During the race is not a good time to implement a new nutrition strategy...best of luck!

Edited by pkingfl 2006-01-10 8:50 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Half Ironman Rss Feed