General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newby Bike Training - Cadence vs. speed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-10 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: Newby Bike Training - Cadence vs. speed

I'd be interested in hearing any ideas about the most effective way for a new cyclist to train on a trainer.  I just got a new bike, and will spend the majority of the next couple of months working on the trainer.  I'm a little confused reading training plans.  It is my understanding that I should be working primarily on spinning to improve my cadence but I'm not sure how much resistance I should be working against.  If I go too low on gears, I get higher cadence, but no speed.  I spent all of last season on my cheap mountain bike grinding away in high gears, and my cadence is very low.  Any thoughts?

2006-01-10 7:20 PM
in reply to: #320959

Master
portland, or
Subject: RE: Newby Bike Training - Cadence vs. speed
A power meter would be ideal. Second to that, and more practical for most, would be RPE and/or HR.

In choosing between monitoring speed and cadence, cadence. Speed on a trainer is meaningless. Find a gear that's comfortable to turn at your goal cadence and use it. Use RPE and/or HR to monitor your progress and as you adapt to that gearing/cadence combination either increase gearing while maintaining cadence, or maintain gearing and increase cadence. Adapt, repeat. Preferrably do a little of both.

I see a lot of people get too caught up in trying to increase their cadence and in doing so don't develop their muscular endurance / bike strength.

In general the higher the cadence, the more taxing on your aerobic system. The lower the cadence, the more taxing on your muscular endurance. Finding the balance that gets you from T1 to T2 the fastest without wasting you for the run is the trick. Most people find it easier to "spin", but they may be depleting their aerobic reserves in doing so. Likewise, grinding away in a big gear may leave your legs toasted for the run.

scott
2006-01-10 7:59 PM
in reply to: #320959

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
I am new to spinning on a trainer indoors. Not new to the bike.

But I am very impressed with Chris Carmichael's indoor training DVDs. He gives you the cadence you should be working at and with a little observation the gearing that they are using in their work outs.

A HRM and some simple testing on your own will get you a very specific work out. With a little time and effort you'll soon be spinning bigger gears and spinning faster than you first thought possible. My wife (who is new to both bike and trainer) says she improves every training ride indoors and loves it.

Cadence will help everything that you need on your the bike, power, endurance and speed.
The chain will dissappear I'm pretty excited to get off the trainer in a few weeks and back on the road to see the improvments. I've never worked this hard on two wheels so the results should be noticable.

Good luck!
2006-01-11 7:28 AM
in reply to: #320989

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Contrary to what most people say, cadence is more important than what gear you are in and/or how fast you are going, especially early in the season.

It has to do with efficiency of your pedal stroke and aibility to accelerate easier. A higher cadence will provide both of those things. There is nothing worse on your joints and muscles than grinding away at 65 rpm in a monster gear whne you are 10 times more efficient (and relaxed) spinning three gears less at 95 - 100 rpms.

I've always been a high cadence rider (yes, even before Armstrong made it popular) and people tend to say that I am one of the most efficient riders they know and can acclerate quickly to get onto wheels or up hills.

Other than a few stints of standing to stretch out I will not even put my bike into the big chainring until some time in March. From December to then I will be in the small chainring spinning happily away to build my base and keep my leg speeds up. You will notice a much larger improvement through the year if you take this approach than if you only do a few weeks of it and then start mashing the big ring doing Spin classes or intervals.

My old training self-imposed rule was not to go into the big ring until I had over a 1,000 miles on the odometer. And even when I did get into it, I STILL maintain over 90+ cadence.

But what the heck do I know .......
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newby Bike Training - Cadence vs. speed Rss Feed