General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rolling Resistance and Indoor Trainers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-20 9:31 AM

New user
Toronto
Subject: Rolling Resistance and Indoor Trainers
For the first time I am training on a cycleops 2 fluid trainer this winter. During previous winters I would primarily get my biking in (here in cold toronto - although beautifully warm and sunny today) through spin classes and never focused on speed just cadence. Now, that I am on my own bike my cateye computer gives me my speed, cdc etc. However, I am finding that for my given cdc levels and perceived exertion my speed numbers are coming up 3-4 kms/hour short of my outdoor times. Has anyone seen any studies suggesting any differences in the speed differential/rolling resistance - if any between road and trainer?
thanks
qb

2006-01-20 9:37 AM
in reply to: #328099

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Rolling Resistance and Indoor Trainers

Ignore speed indoors.  There's no reliable correlation to outdoor speed.  Use cadance and RPE (and HR or power if you have those).

Edit: Actually, if you set up your bike the same each time (tire pressure, "turns" on the resistance knob on the trainer) you could probably use speed to compare against other trainer rides.  Just won't equate to outdoors speed.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2006-01-20 9:40 AM
2006-01-20 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Speed on a trainer isn't the same as speed on the road.  Rolling resistance is minimal o a trainer compared to the resistance created by the fluid in the trainer...stop pedaling on the trainer and see how fast your wheel stops spinning compared to doing the same on the road.  As Johnny said, focus on cadence and HR while working the trainer.  Now, if you had rollers you'd be closer to outdoor riding...without the weather, elevation changes, and traffic.
2006-01-20 9:44 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
JohnnyKay and TH3_FRB are right. I will add that I have rollers and still find no correlation whatsover.

Edited by morey1 2006-01-20 9:46 AM
2006-01-20 10:13 AM

New user
Toronto
Thanks guys, appreciate the quick feedback. It seemed obvious as you point out that you must keep pedaling to keep the wheel spinning on a trainer vs. outdoors where you would achieve significant travel distance once you stop pedalling. But I couldn't reconcile that with the notion that the computer is simply picking up revolutions of the wheel to measure speed, which should equate to what perceived exertion, HR i am achieving whether on the road or on the trainer.

Anyway, I will take it as a given that when I finally get back on the roads, my times will push up for the same level of workout taking note of wind, incline etc.

thanks again
qb

2006-01-20 10:35 AM
in reply to: #328144

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
As stated, your outdoor average will typically be faster than what you are doing on the trainer for the same level of effort. Your actual "speed" however is the exact same according to the sensor. It is your amount of effort to maintain that speed that is key.

If I am spinning a 39 x 16 at 100 cadence (my typical indoor cruise ride), then it doesn't matter if I am indoor or outdoor, it will always be right around 18.7 - 19 mph. The difference is, outdoors spinning that on a flat I will quickly be up and over my usual cadence comfort level in that gear and will shift up to the 39 x 15 to stay in that 95 - 100 range and will be doing 20 mph. This is because it takes more work to stay at the cadence on the trainer because I have it set to the hardest resistence (I have a mag trainer) and it is constant. As soon as I stop pedaling, the wheel is not moving within two or three seconds. On the road of course I would barely lose 1 mph after coasting for a few hundred feet.

The key is maintaining the level of intensity (RPE) without getting too crazy and your cadence (90+). AND STAY IN THE SMALL CHAINRING - unless you have a race in March.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rolling Resistance and Indoor Trainers Rss Feed