General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Training questions (Mike Ricci’s articles)… Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-20 6:16 PM

Pro
Andover
Subject: HR Training questions (Mike Ricci’s articles)…
Mike (hopefully you’ll see this),

I just spent a couple enjoyable hours reading, and re-reading, several of your awesome HR Training articles—Thanks so much for taking the time to share your knowledge with us! I’m now totally convinced to trash the “computed” numbers I have been using—please don’t go off the “DEEP END” —and do some LT testing to get some useful numbers.

I do have some questions though that I’m hoping you (or anyone else) might answer:

1) From another thread you started a while back, I understand how to do the LT testing but how did you get your MHR used to compute your training zones? In your “Heart Rate Formulas” article, you state, in “Vital Stats,” that your MHR is 182 run, 174 bike.

2) How often do you compute what your BPMs should be for each training zone? As we train, our RHR will go down, right? But how long does that take? Should we check our RHR every few months and, if it goes down, recalculate our zone rates? (Or should I just scrap the whole MHR thing and go w/ the Friel/LT method?)

3) According to your “Being in the Zone” article, am I correct in thinking I should be in Zone 2 for my LSD workouts, Zone 4-5a for my once-a-week short/hard workouts, and zone 3 for all other workouts (the majority of my weekly workouts)?

4) And, finally, in your “The Heart of the Matter” article, you state that we can allow ourselves one day a week of a higher end aerobic training. Is this one day a week for all 3 disciplines, or do a really hard swim on week 1, hard bike on week 2, then hard run on week 3, before tapering back on week 4?

Thanks again for your time, Mike, it is truly appreciated!

All the best,
Rob

2006-01-21 2:22 PM
in reply to: #328711

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: HR Training questions (Mike Ricci’s articles)…

Hopefully Mike will see this, but I think I'll be close to most of his responses.

#1 - Don't use MHR to calculate your training zones.  Don't worry about what your MHR is.  Doesn't matter.

#2 - You can check your RHR daily, but this is just to monitor for overtraining, illness, etc.  Set your zones with LT.  Re-test about once a month or so and reset the zones if necessary.

#3 - Most workouts are generally Zone 1-2.  A tempo session might put you into Zone 3.  Zone 4+ are usually for harder interval sessions.  So majority are probably Z1-2.

#4 - I'm less sure here.  Probably has a lot to do with how you recover.  Certainly if you do a hard session one day, you should at least have an easy session the next day before you try another hard one.  Personally, I think you can get away with at least a hard swim plus a hard bike or run in the same week since the swim is low impact and different muscle group than bike or run.  But certainly pay attention to how you recover--monitoring RHR on a regular basis can be very helpful for this.

2006-01-21 3:44 PM
in reply to: #329044

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Johnny Kay has nailed it - I will add a few comments:
JohnnyKay - 2006-01-21 12:22 PM

Hopefully Mike will see this, but I think I'll be close to most of his responses.

#1 - Don't use MHR to calculate your training zones.  Don't worry about what your MHR is.  Doesn't matter.

>>MHR is what I have 'seen' over the course of a season here or there. I haven't ever 'tested' for it, but I know how high I can get it if I need to. Go by LT. Much more accurate.

#2 - You can check your RHR daily, but this is just to monitor for overtraining, illness, etc.  Set your zones with LT.  Re-test about once a month or so and reset the zones if necessary.

>>>exactly - just check RHR to see if you are recovered for a harder session

#3 - Most workouts are generally Zone 1-2.  A tempo session might put you into Zone 3.  Zone 4+ are usually for harder interval sessions.  So majority are probably Z1-2.

>>>perfect

#4 - I'm less sure here.  Probably has a lot to do with how you recover.  Certainly if you do a hard session one day, you should at least have an easy session the next day before you try another hard one.  Personally, I think you can get away with at least a hard swim plus a hard bike or run in the same week since the swim is low impact and different muscle group than bike or run.  But certainly pay attention to how you recover--monitoring RHR on a regular basis can be very helpful for this.

>>>Typically, I have one day in each sport during the week. I may swim a little harder on Wednesday and run a little harder on Tuesday and maybe push the bike a little on Sunday. Not all in one day unless I am doing some race simulation or something. This time of year, those are pretty rare. Johnny nailed this one too. He is a quick learner and I bet he gets much speedier in 2006.
2006-01-21 3:53 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

I've been following the recent threads on HR training and have decided to follow the plan.  Last year was all about finishing and now I want to start improving.  I know that this time of year is for improving base but I'm still confused on how many of what type of workout to do.  My next A race will be in June.  In the time I have available for training, I'm shooting for 3 training sessions for each of the 3 sports, plus  a couple of abs/pilates/weight sessions.  Should all sessions be in zone 1/2 until the last couple of months when I start adding in interval training, with the exception of the one previously mentioned tempo session?  For example, if I have 4 hours a week for running broken into 3 sessions, I would run one LSD (~2hours), one tempo run and one other run.  What would be best for the other run?

Thanks for all your answers Mike, they are a big help.

Ernie

2006-01-21 3:55 PM
in reply to: #329083

User image

Boulder, Colorado
ejc999 - 2006-01-21 1:53 PM

I've been following the recent threads on HR training and have decided to follow the plan.  Last year was all about finishing and now I want to start improving.  I know that this time of year is for improving base but I'm still confused on how many of what type of workout to do.  My next A race will be in June.  In the time I have available for training, I'm shooting for 3 training sessions for each of the 3 sports, plus  a couple of abs/pilates/weight sessions.  Should all sessions be in zone 1/2 until the last couple of months when I start adding in interval training, with the exception of the one previously mentioned tempo session?  For example, if I have 4 hours a week for running broken into 3 sessions, I would run one LSD (~2hours), one tempo run and one other run.  What would be best for the other run?

Thanks for all your answers Mike, they are a big help.

Ernie

>>Have you downloaded one my plans? if yes, it's all spelled out for you from base, to build, speed and taper.
What is the length of your race that you are training for?
2006-01-21 4:18 PM
in reply to: #329078

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

mikericci - 2006-01-21 3:44 PM He is a quick learner and I bet he gets much speedier in 2006.

I hope so.  I'm getting some great advice from someone around here.

2006-01-21 4:29 PM
in reply to: #329096

User image

Boulder, Colorado
JohnnyKay - 2006-01-21 2:18 PM

mikericci - 2006-01-21 3:44 PM He is a quick learner and I bet he gets much speedier in 2006.

I hope so.  I'm getting some great advice from someone around here.

>>Like one of my coaches once said to me, "if you follow the plan, you WILL get faster" - just keep it up.
2006-01-21 5:19 PM

Pro
Andover
Thanks so much for the detailed answers, John and Mike. As I say, I really appreciate your time and your willingness to share your expertise!

Mike,

You asked Ernie if he has downloaded one of your training plans. Is this something that is available on D3 Multisport or are you referring to the BT plans?

Thanks again and best of luck this season,
Rob

Edited by CptnJackSparrow 2006-01-21 5:23 PM
2006-01-21 5:36 PM
in reply to: #329128

User image

Boulder, Colorado
CptnJackSparrow - 2006-01-21 3:19 PM

Thanks so much for the detailed answers, John and Mike. As I say, I really appreciate your time and your willingness to share your expertise!

Mike,

You asked Ernie if he has downloaded one of your training plans. Is this something that is available on D3 Multisport or are you referring to the BT plans?

Thanks again and best of luck this season,
Rob

>>You are welcome, anytime. If you can swing, we'd love to see you over on the Gold side - good info on a daily basis - even if you don't have questions, you can usually learn something by just reading the posts.

The plans I was referring to are the ones on the BT site.
2006-01-21 5:43 PM
in reply to: #329085

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

I'm doing a Half IM (Eagelman) in June and I downloaded the 1/2 IM plan.  I need to tweak the plan some to meet with my schedule.  Most of my weekday training will have to be after work which limits my bike time.  So in trying to tweak the schedule, I don't understand how hard I should be doing some of the workouts.  From reading some of the posts this week, I thought it would be mostly base work until the last 8 weeks before the event.  But, looking at the first two weeks, it includes several sessions of interval training.  I was especially surprised by a run at LT during the first two weeks.  Thanks for any input.  I definitely need to gold plan when my membership expires this month.

Ernie

2006-01-21 5:52 PM
in reply to: #329139

User image

Boulder, Colorado
ejc999 - 2006-01-21 3:43 PM

I'm doing a Half IM (Eagelman) in June and I downloaded the 1/2 IM plan.  I need to tweak the plan some to meet with my schedule.  Most of my weekday training will have to be after work which limits my bike time.  So in trying to tweak the schedule, I don't understand how hard I should be doing some of the workouts.  From reading some of the posts this week, I thought it would be mostly base work until the last 8 weeks before the event.  But, looking at the first two weeks, it includes several sessions of interval training.  I was especially surprised by a run at LT during the first two weeks.  Thanks for any input.  I definitely need to gold plan when my membership expires this month.

Ernie

I think you can upgrade at any time on the membership - just ease into the intervals - and not all intervals are hard - some just work certain energy systems but interval doesn't mean 'push real hard and hur the the entire time'

2006-01-22 7:07 AM

Pro
Andover
I had planned on posting the following on the “Training Plan Support” forum under “Performance Member Q&A and Plan Support, but I guess I don’t’ have access as a Bronze member. So, I hope you don’t mind that I’m posting this jumble below!

Subject: Planning for “A” and “B” races?

Hi Coaches,

Some Background:
This will be my second season participating in Tris—My third season doing road races. Although I am not a competitive threat to anyone, other than myself , I would like to take my training/racing to another level this year—Last season I focused on cramming in a bunch of sprints (PB: 1:18:36 ) for the experience, as well as one OLY (PB: 2:37:55).

Thus far my training has consisted of pretty much following the 10% rule and working in rest/recovery days/weeks. I have not really done any HR training nor have I bothered to “test” for HR zones—I recently used calcs —but never LT. However, after reading several of Mike’s articles this weekend, that is going to change! (I also finally purchased a copy of Joe Friel’s The Triathlete’s Training Bible yesterday. I can’t believe I neglected this book!)

After my last Tri, 09/25/05, my focus changed to training for the WDW Marathon, which I completed earlier this month (4:16:22), my first. I thought this was a good idea as running was really my weakest sport last season.

This Season:
In continuing to work on my running, I’ve also registered for the 02/26 Hyannis Half Marathon. But, after that I want to turn my focus to my “B” race for the season, the 06/03 Mooseman OLY, and my “A” race, the 08/20 Timberman ½ IM!

My plan is to “test” for LT, and purchase a good HRM, between now and the ½ Marathon, so I’ll be ready to start Periodization training for my Tris after I recover from the ½ Marathon.

My Question (finally ):
With only 13 weeks between the ½ Marathon and the OLY, and only 11 weeks between the OLY and the ½ IM, should I specifically train for the A and B races individually—Peak for the B race, recover, then Peak for the A race--Or just start training to peak for my A race after my recovery from the ½ Marathon and use the OLY as a training race?

Also, Mike had mentioned that I should consider bumping my BT membership up to the Gold level, which is no doubt a good idea. However, I’m wondering if there is a specific Gold-level plan(s) that you would recommend that would help me train for the scenario above. (I had planned on bumping to the Gold level after the ½ IM in Aug to start training for my A race next season, The ’07 IMLP!)

Thanks so much for your time and consideration of my question(s).
Rob
2006-01-22 8:53 AM
in reply to: #329307

User image

Boulder, Colorado
CptnJackSparrow - 2006-01-22 5:07 AM

I had planned on posting the following on the “Training Plan Support” forum under “Performance Member Q&A and Plan Support, but I guess I don’t’ have access as a Bronze member. So, I hope you don’t mind that I’m posting this jumble below!

>>>Another good reason to upgrade to Gold!
My Question (finally ):
With only 13 weeks between the ½ Marathon and the OLY, and only 11 weeks between the OLY and the ½ IM, should I specifically train for the A and B races individually—Peak for the B race, recover, then Peak for the A race--Or just start training to peak for my A race after my recovery from the ½ Marathon and use the OLY as a training race?
>>>Bascially we train - and we train our bodies to get fit and to s/b/r certain distances or more. Every once in a while we like to race a B or C race- which certainly should fit INTO training, not the other way around. So - you should train for triathlon if that is your A race this season, and if you are doing a 1/2M along the way, use it as a training day. Having 13 weeks between 1/2M and Olympic is a LOOOOOOOOONG time - so get yourself recovered and start training. Hopefully you are thinking long term and know that you need some long rides and runs in for the 1/2 IM so that you'll be doing this even into your lead in to the 1/2 IM - I have my athletes riding 3+ hours right now for July 1/2 IMs - so its never too early to be fit. There is no reason you can't peak for the Olympic if you want, and then still be ready to race the 1/2 IM.

Also, Mike had mentioned that I should consider bumping my BT membership up to the Gold level, which is no doubt a good idea. However, I’m wondering if there is a specific Gold-level plan(s) that you would recommend that would help me train for the scenario above. (I had planned on bumping to the Gold level after the ½ IM in Aug to start training for my A race next season, The ’07 IMLP!)
>>>Yes, there are 16 different plans to choose from that D3 Multisport has created - so you have plenty to choose from: Winter Maintenance, 20 week 1/2M, 20 week 1/2 IM, Olympic to 1/2IM 12 week bridge - etc. Lots of choices for you.

Mike
2006-01-22 9:48 AM
in reply to: #329339

Pro
Andover
mikericci - 2006-01-22 9:53 AM

I have my athletes riding 3+ hours right now for July 1/2 IMs ...

Mike

Uh oh, I'm WAY off the mark! Better get going...

Thanks again, Mike.

Rob
2006-01-22 9:56 AM
in reply to: #329364

User image

Boulder, Colorado
CptnJackSparrow - 2006-01-22 7:48 AM

mikericci - 2006-01-22 9:53 AM

I have my athletes riding 3+ hours right now for July 1/2 IMs ...

Mike

Uh oh, I'm WAY off the mark! Better get going...

• You aren't off the mark - some of these guys/gals have been training for a while but my point is that you can always be in shape.
    Thanks again, Mike.

Rob
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Training questions (Mike Ricci’s articles)… Rss Feed