General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Form Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-24 8:38 AM

New user
Subject: Swim Form Question
OK, so I'm making some progress in the pool finally. I've read, and do the drills from, TI, so that's where I'm coming from training-wise. The issue I have right now is rotating my body on non-breath strokes - I have trouble doing it. What helps is also allowing my head to rotate slightly as well. My chin still stays tucked, but if I allow my neck and head to rotate a little, along with my body, I can rotate much easier, more consistently, and my speed increases. It just seems more natural to me to allow my neck to somewhat "follow" my shoulders around in rotation.

Is there any reason that this would not be a good thing to do?? Does my description even make sense?

2006-01-24 10:52 AM
in reply to: #330517

User image

Subject: RE: Swim Form Question

The way I look at it is if you're not comfortable in your stroke, you're not going to swim your best. If rotating your head a little bit (not thrashing around!) is what it takes to make your stroke a little more comfortable and more powerful, then by all means, do it.

I don't keep my head completely stick-straight and my coach has never said anything about it.
2006-01-24 11:44 AM

Master
portland, or
I thought the TI folks were no longer suggesting swimmers "tuck their chin". A neutral head position will allow for better rotation and extension of the shoulder.

scott
2006-01-24 11:49 AM

User image

Master
I have been side kicking a lot to help with rotation, and bilateral breathing as well. and I now get both shoulders out of the water as I rotate, but how far are you suposed to rotate? I still dont know if my rotation is enough...  
2006-01-24 1:08 PM

New user
I'm not thrashing my head around, but do allow it to turn maybe 45 degrees side to side. The bilateral breathing does really help with rotation. I've been keeping my chin tucked to avoid the tendency to look too far ahead. But maybe I hurt my rotation doing so. Hopefully my little head-rotation thing solves two problems at once!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Form Question Rss Feed