General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running on High School Tracks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-24 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: Running on High School Tracks

Are there any general rules for when the public can use an outdoor running track at a public high school? Early morning? Lunchtime during the week? Do you show up and share if the school's track team is using it? Or is it off limits while they are there?

Thanks,

Bill

2006-01-24 8:44 AM
in reply to: #330519

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-01-24 8:47 AM
in reply to: #330522

Elite
Subject: RE: Running on High School Tracks

Same policies around here... there are a smorgasbord of potential problems when it comes to sharing the track during school hours.

bts

2006-01-24 9:00 AM

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL

I teach and coach track at a high school and as long as teams or gym classes are not using it we don't mind if the public uses it.  I see you are in DC so in Big cities I am sure regulations will be tighter so just call the Athletic Director and I am sure he will give a definitive answer.   

2006-01-24 9:05 AM

Glendale
I am a High School track coach and we share the track with the public. It is the understanding that during the track season or when the track is in use for classes that the public has to use the outer lanes. It depends on the schools. We have not had any problems over the years. I think that we may scare some of the public because we have both the Middle School and High School teams on the track.
2006-01-24 9:23 AM

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
Important to note: Private schools are a bit different than public schools. There is a private school by my house that called the police when I used their track - they didn't even come out and inform me that it was private property and they'd appreciate it if I'd leave!

Public schools are a little cooler though.

2006-01-24 11:47 AM

Elite
Laurium, MI
rollinsw - 2006-01-24 7:39 AM

Are there any general rules for when the public can use an outdoor running track at a public high school? Early morning? Lunchtime during the week?

Depends, how fast can you run?
2006-01-24 2:44 PM

Lake Mary, FL
Call up and ask. One high school I used to live near provided "runner's keys" - a key that opened a little gate and would allow access, in exchange for leaving a deposit and some ID info. Another one teamed up with my running club and even turned on the lights for a weekly speed training session.

Now I've moved and joined a track group which works out at a middle school track. No lights, but access isn't a problem and all sorts of other runners use the track. We seem to have it from 6 pm on.

No harm in asking - the school will give you the hours you can use it, or maybe even refer you to another school which works with runners (i.e. weekly club workout where they are nice and turn on the lights for you). If you can't tell, I'm tired of running in the dark.
2006-01-24 2:49 PM

Pro
Vestavia Hills
There is a sign outside of the high school track in our neighborhood that states the facilities are not available to the public ... 
2006-01-24 4:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
I use the local college track and they have posted hours that the public isn't allowed; but those are during the track teams workouts.

One thing I would say is to try and run on the outside lanes to lessen the impact of continually using lanes 1 - 3. If I'm jogging, I try to stay to the far outside lane. When I'm doing my interval, I move to the inside but I'm careful to not move to lane 1 if there are faster people using it.

I find it interesting that a PUBLIC school wouldn't allow the use of the track during non-school hours. In Texas my property taxes for the school district were insane. I think I'd be having a chat with the school board about any policy at a public school facility that limited my access. But then, for me, a little confrontation helps my speed work.
2006-01-24 5:11 PM

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
I go over a ways and once a week when I can, run with a group.  One of the guys is a teacher/coach there, so we get to run and have lights and bathrooms.   And, yeah, a tailored workout for that day.   You never know what weird workout they are gonna come up with. 

2006-01-24 5:13 PM
in reply to: #330937

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
devo27 - 2006-01-24 4:46 PM

I find it interesting that a PUBLIC school wouldn't allow the use of the track during non-school hours. In Texas my property taxes for the school district were insane. I think I'd be having a chat with the school board about any policy at a public school facility that limited my access. But then, for me, a little confrontation helps my speed work.

There might be some liability issues with opening the track to the public. Some school districts will accept that risk, others won't. What about a school with a pool? Library and auditorium? Keep in mind that school districts are charged with educating people. RANT ON: They should not be rec centers, social service agencies, etc. (many of which they get asked to do anyways), especially when those requests divert precious resources from their primary task. Now, as a taxpayer, I'd like to see my taxes spent as wisely as possible, so cooperation between schools and other government entities is encouraged. RANT OFF:

2006-01-24 5:22 PM
in reply to: #330522

Master
Michigan

courtney_leone - 2006-01-24 9:44 AM I work at a high school and there is a sign that says the track is closed to the public from 7am-330pm. I'm sure most HS tracks are closed when school is in session.

Yeah the teach knows, don't break her rules.

2006-01-24 7:54 PM
in reply to: #330948

Expert
Northern VA

Lucy - 2006-01-24 6:11 PM I go over a ways and once a week when I can, run with a group.  One of the guys is a teacher/coach there, so we get to run and have lights and bathrooms.   And, yeah, a tailored workout for that day.   You never know what weird workout they are gonna come up with. 

THAT'S when I'd be pissed off!  "Certain" people getting access to a "public" facility while others are told no. 

But I've had pretty good luck with access to tracks.

2006-01-24 8:07 PM

Master
I can run on the track at our high school any time as long as you do not interfere with any school activities and you can use the pool for $2 a swim. I'm actually thinking of cancling my gym membershp and swimming at the high school since all I really use is the pool now.
2006-01-24 8:56 PM

Expert
Northern VA
Thanks all for the info. I will be checking with the local HS this week.

2006-01-24 9:16 PM
in reply to: #331056

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
glf33 - 2006-01-24 8:54 PM

Lucy - 2006-01-24 6:11 PM I go over a ways and once a week when I can, run with a group.  One of the guys is a teacher/coach there, so we get to run and have lights and bathrooms.   And, yeah, a tailored workout for that day.   You never know what weird workout they are gonna come up with. 

THAT'S when I'd be pissed off!  "Certain" people getting access to a "public" facility while others are told no. 

But I've had pretty good luck with access to tracks.

we don't exclude anyone from working out with us.   Whoever wants to come is welcome.   I don't know about the schools closer to me, but I'm asking.

2006-01-25 1:58 AM
in reply to: #330937

devo27 - 2006-01-24 2:46 PM I use the local college track and they have posted hours that the public isn't allowed; but those are during the track teams workouts. One thing I would say is to try and run on the outside lanes to lessen the impact of continually using lanes 1 - 3. If I'm jogging, I try to stay to the far outside lane. When I'm doing my interval, I move to the inside but I'm careful to not move to lane 1 if there are faster people using it. I find it interesting that a PUBLIC school wouldn't allow the use of the track during non-school hours. In Texas my property taxes for the school district were insane. I think I'd be having a chat with the school board about any policy at a public school facility that limited my access. But then, for me, a little confrontation helps my speed work.

The School Board in the Las Vegas Metro area has a strict policy against allowing the public to use the track, due to liability concerns.

2006-01-25 5:22 PM
in reply to: #331197

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
crusevegas - 2006-01-24 11:58 PM

devo27 - 2006-01-24 2:46 PM I use the local college track and they have posted hours that the public isn't allowed; but those are during the track teams workouts. One thing I would say is to try and run on the outside lanes to lessen the impact of continually using lanes 1 - 3. If I'm jogging, I try to stay to the far outside lane. When I'm doing my interval, I move to the inside but I'm careful to not move to lane 1 if there are faster people using it. I find it interesting that a PUBLIC school wouldn't allow the use of the track during non-school hours. In Texas my property taxes for the school district were insane. I think I'd be having a chat with the school board about any policy at a public school facility that limited my access. But then, for me, a little confrontation helps my speed work.

The School Board in the Las Vegas Metro area has a strict policy against allowing the public to use the track, due to liability concerns.

Ah...the lawyers. I understand that there are liability issues involved with opening a facility to the public. That's why I advocate the school board route. Here in Colorado Springs, I know some of the schools charge for use at some facilities. Would that not add to the limited financial resources that schools have to operate with? Help with improvements? I should have said you need to have a dialogue with the districts involved and not seemed so confrontational. Will it help? Who knows. I just think that a public facility should be public or at least discussed in a forum that's conducive to finding a solution. Anyway, if it's not open to the public, why not find out why? It appears that plenty of them are open to the public. Why not yours as well?
2006-01-25 6:02 PM

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
I tend to use the HS Track early in the morning.  A class did show up one day.  I asked the coach if it was o.k. to keep running and he it was no problem with him.  I think just the courtesy of asking get's you somewhere.
2006-01-25 9:42 PM

Expert
New Mexico
Our school district is fairly liberal about the track use compared to a lot of districts...6am to 9pm and not during school activities such as games or practice. The bigger concern is the football field...completely off limits and posted as such. I periodically have to go out and help enforce the rules. Usually a kind reminder about the posted sign does the trick (although the badge and the rotweiller don't hurt.)

Our school district and my city have developed a pretty good partnership...both contributed to our new (under constrution) aquatic center.

2006-01-27 1:52 PM

Centreville, VA
The general rule goes like this. You can be arrested for trespassing if you are on school property during a time when school is in session if you are not a teacher, student, or are at the school for reasons other than official school business (picking up someone from the school, going there for a meeting, getting information from the office, etc.)

If school is not in session, the school grounds are not being used by school teams, and it is a public school, then you should be able to be on school grounds unless signs have been posted to the contrary.

If you are using one of the paved portions of the school (tennis courts, the track, or the basketball courts) you stand less of a chance of being bothered by the authorities than if you are using one of the grass fields. The main reason being, it's really hard to damage a paved surface, but it's easy to rip up a grass field and damaging the grass fields might get you in trouble.

If you are at all concerned, I'd suggest calling the local county government center and asking for the official policy for that county. If you call the school you could get the wrong information because the person answering the phone may not know the correct answer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running on High School Tracks Rss Feed