General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What distance to start with Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-24 8:59 PM

Veteran
columbia, md
Subject: What distance to start with
Now I am sure this has been discussed before but I could not find it.

I am new to Tri’s from a marathon running. Should I go for a Sprint first or dive into an Oly distance? I am sure this depends on training and level of fitness so here is some background info, currently running between 20 – 25 M a week but looking to drop this to 3 runs, 2 swims and 2 rides. I would look at my first race being on Apr 22nd.

I suppose the Sprint would let me see and experience the whole race in action and prep me for the Oly but this first race is 1 ½ hours drive from home and I really want to get the most out of the season.

What do you think? Thanks

2006-01-24 9:10 PM
in reply to: #331095

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
Subject: RE: What distance to start with
I say, drive out and do the sprint. You will LOVE IT. 90 minutes is not that far to drive. Believe me.
Or you could go the night before and get a room to keep from getting up so early the day of.

My first one I got up early and drove 2 hours with friends. It was great. By the time we got there I was awake and hyped up for the event. It was a BLAST.

Yes, definately drive to the sprint. Great memories.

Snookdude
2006-01-24 9:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-01-25 8:45 AM

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
While I know a guy who did Ironman FL as his FIRST tri, I don't suggest it. Sprints are a great way to feel out the sport, and work out the more "logistic" things. The more comfortable you get with the transitions, the mass starts, the chaos, the exhaustion, the better prepared you'll be for larger, longer events.

Happy tri!
2006-01-25 8:57 AM
in reply to: #331312

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

phoenixazul - 2006-01-25 8:45 AM While I know a guy who did Ironman FL as his FIRST tri, I don't suggest it. Sprints are a great way to feel out the sport, and work out the more "logistic" things. The more comfortable you get with the transitions, the mass starts, the chaos, the exhaustion, the better prepared you'll be for larger, longer events. Happy tri!

I even did a mini-sprint before my first target sprint, can't beat an actual race as a learning experience.

2006-01-25 9:22 AM

Tulsa, Oklahoma
My vote we be to start with a sprint, even if you are physically capable of doing on Oly......I start my season with a couple early sprints....it helps to see how your training is progressing and gives you some indication on what you need to improve on. Being that you are just starting out, it will also give you time to work out any kinks, transition area issues.... You will feel much more experienced and comfortable going into an Oly distance after that.

Good Luck

2006-01-25 9:47 AM

Veteran
Washington DC
Is that the Kinetic Sprint you're going to do?

I was thinking about doing that to be prepared for Memphis in May... o' course for me it won't be so much a sprint, more of a slog...

Edited by tr3crabby 2006-01-25 9:48 AM
2006-01-25 10:00 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
I came from a strong running/marathon background (28 years, 10 marathons, 8 of them sub-3, 2:51 PR) and jumped into tris last summer with little preparation in swim and not much more on the bike. I started out with an Olympic (2:34) right off the bat in July and did a half-ironman (5:03 on a wicked hot day) a few weeks later. Personally, I just find the sprint distances to be too short to mess with...just my personal opinion coming from a marathon background...if you like sprints, knock yourself out. good luck
2006-01-25 10:27 AM

Master
Marietta, Ga

To the average Joe (or Joy), I'd say start with a well organized sprint.  There's more complexity that goes into triathlons than marathons, aside from just the swimming and cycling.  There are equipment changes, jelly legs, nutritional needs, and even a bit of a freak factor on the swim if you're not accustomed to open water swimming.

I'd want to be sure that you came away from your first tri with a good experience.  There's nothing wrong with moving from a sprint to an Oly.  That's probably the way most of us have progressed through this sport.  Use a sprint to learn about the finer points of triathlons.  Watch and observe the other participants.  Gain a level of comfort with the transitions from one discipline to another.

Most of all, have fun.

2006-01-25 10:43 AM

Online or Offline

I think you should go for the Oly.

Looks like you are also looking to get the most endurance bang for your buck versus a 3-hr round trip to "just do a sprint", so I say start with a well-organized Olympic.

Getting "experience" at a sprint isn't really any different at an Olympic if you are worried about being a first timer - check your race to see if they have a first-timer swim wave...most do. I once even participated in a 1/2 that was first-timer friendly.

Experience-wise, if you decide anywhere in the middle of the race that you are going to stop, obviously you are always welcome to stop whenever you want. (Just don't drown during the swim before someone comes to get you.

Hell, I think if you are an ok swimmer, and can stand sitting on a saddle for 56 miles, you should even consider the Colonial 1/2 Iron in Williamsburg since you wanna get the most out of the season. It's late September.

2006-01-25 10:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Go for the sprint, my main event for the year is in May, prior to that I will travel to two sprints (weekend trips). You'll gain vital knowledge from the sprint plus you'll have a blast.

2006-01-25 9:01 PM

Veteran
columbia, md
Thanks some very good input here and food for thought…….

Yes Kel, I am looking at the Kinetic Quarter or Sprint at Lake Anna.

Being the person I am, I think I may swing for the Quarter / Oly. Reasons: Fair way to travel, my younger as a done a sprint and this tops that hence creating further competition. I will only be able to improve my time after this. I am a sucker for pain.

Now my only concern is that the average water temp around that time of year at Lake Anna in VA is 60 and a mate of mine at work said that this was very cold. Granted he may be right as I sometimes find the pool at 71 to be cold at the start.

Any comments?

Thanks
2006-01-25 9:01 PM

Veteran
columbia, md
Thanks some very good input here and food for thought…….

Yes Kel, I am looking at the Kinetic Quarter or Sprint at Lake Anna.

Being the person I am, I think I may swing for the Quarter / Oly. Reasons: Fair way to travel, my younger as a done a sprint and this tops that hence creating further competition. I will only be able to improve my time after this. I am a sucker for pain.

Now my only concern is that the average water temp around that time of year at Lake Anna in VA is 60 and a mate of mine at work said that this was very cold. Granted he may be right as I sometimes find the pool at 71 to be cold at the start.

Any comments?

Thanks
2006-01-25 9:37 PM

Champion
MA

I say do them both..once you do one you'll want to do more.

Triathlons are much more about being organized and flowing from one sport to the next. Most people get flustered in transitions and group start of a swim is very different. 60 is pretty cold for a swim...you may want to borrow or rent a wetsuit to help you stay warm and also helps you float which improves your swim times and allows you to just rest and stop if need be.

Ahh...you come from a running background, and are a fast runner too....my suggestion is to spend more training on what you are not as good at more time biking and swimming and less on running. Many triathletes like one sport best and tend to train more in that then in their weaker sport or sports. You will gain more in time improvement in working on your weaknesses, than spending time doing what you already do very well running. I'd do 3x a week swimming and biking and cut your runs down to two...if time is limited and maybe do a short run off the bike as in a brick if you are itching to get in a third run in the week.

2006-01-26 2:43 AM

Master
The real USC, in the ghetto of LA
going into my first i looked at my weekness (i can run 15+, i was biking 30+, i could barely not drown) i did a sprint and wow in the ocean is WAY difrent than a pool. it was a great learning experiance for me. i hated swimming, and after that i was swiming 4 times a week, 3 masters and a private swim coach (forum, since my masters coah told me i wasnt able to attend if i didn't get private lessons). i got SO much better really quick. i love swimming now! for your first think of your weakest event, and make it a reasonable distance. the goal firt time out is to HAVE FUN!!!!
2006-01-26 7:04 AM

Veteran
Fredericksburg, VA
Did the Kinetic half last year. It was my first tri and my goal was to just finish.
Lake Anna is a great place for this kind of event and Set-Up Inc does a good
job. Swim was very cold and choppy. Good luck.

2006-01-26 8:33 AM
in reply to: #332032

Veteran
Washington DC

Skazi - 2006-01-25 10:01 PM . Now my only concern is that the average water temp around that time of year at Lake Anna in VA is 60 and a mate of mine at work said that this was very cold. Granted he may be right as I sometimes find the pool at 71 to be cold at the start. Any comments? Thanks

Eesh! Guess I'll be getting the LONG sleeved wetsuit

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What distance to start with Rss Feed