General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress Fracture...oh no! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-30 7:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Subject: Stress Fracture...oh no!
Well, the triathlon gods are testing me now! About ten days ago, I was on my 8-mile trail run as part of my training for the 70.3 here in California on March 18th. I decided to try some "Pose" running on the forefoot for a couple of minutes to see how it felt. The next day, my left foot was sore right in the middle of my middle toe (metatarsal). I chalked it up as temporary, and did a 30-mile bike ride with no issues. The following day, was my long run day. I had a 90-minute trail run planned, and had mild pain in the foot at the start, but was able to run okay. After about 45-minutes though, I was pretty much limp-running, and after an hour, had to walk it hurt so much. That was my last run...January 20th. I did some online research and gathered that it could likely be a stress fracture.
I can walk okay, but running...no way...it hurts when I put all my weight down on the left forefoot. I can cycle and swim no problem. Decided to hit the podiatrist today to confirm it, and after xrays and an exam, he confirmed the stress fracture, though I sure couldn't make it out in the xrays. He pointed to a slightly fuzzy area along that bone that he assured me was a stress fracture. He also told me that a cast was the best way to heal it, but I pleaded that I had a half ironman in 7 weeks and wanted to continue cycling and swimming, so he gave me this stiff-soled sandal and told me to ice the thing 4 times/day and take anti-inflammatories. I've been mountain-biking STEEP hills on my run days to keep the leg strength up, but really miss running!!!!
I am posting this to see if anyone who may have had this injury has any further tips for FAST healing! I will try some aqua-running tomorrow, but I'll limp the half mary if I have to come March 18th.
Any advice out there?

Edited by TriBodyboarder 2006-01-30 7:46 PM

2006-01-30 8:43 PM
in reply to: #335185

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: Stress Fracture...oh no!
I had a bad stress fracture several years back and I always chalked it up to a sprain. So this went on for about two months... yes I was in High School and I just tuffed through it. Well a bad hit one Friday night while on the Football field and I was in the ER with excruciating pain. I had the same fuzz on my exray so the sent me to get a bone scan. I had to drink the nasties stuff and when they did the scan they found not one not two but three stress fractures. So basically I went to one of the top sports doctors around and he basically said the same thing. Six weeks in a walkin cast two weeks in another one and ice 4 times a day. One Ice bath two ice massages and just one general ice pack. Although I thought I was fine after three weeks I started playing football again and then a couple days back at the doctor and it took an additional 8 weeks because my stress fracture turnes into a crack. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the doc is right
2006-01-31 12:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
I did OATS knee transplants 7 weeks ago. Did my first, slow run yesterday after 9 weeks off.

I was on crutches with no weight bearing for 4 weeks and first told no running...for several more months from now.

I made sure that there was no weight bearing. Water walking was a huge benefit. Pumped vitamins and milk everyday. Biked indoors with only 13 days down time.

If it were my foot I'd be in the water (boring but exceptional for the foot), on the bike spinning (no mashing which means NO hills for most, ya I hated that too) and on the elliptical trainer. Get off the broken foot for 3 or 4 weeks and the IM will be easy.

Add the vitamins to your diet. Stay off the foot

Did my second run today and could have easily broken my old record on the 3 mile hill run I do. (sub 24min with 1000 elevation gain) So the hrs of 100+ rpm spinning indoors and all the swimming and water work has done more than I would have thought. That was a big surprise.

Today I ran the uphills and then walked the down hills slowly. I have lots of time to heal before the first tri of the season here. But the stress knowing I'll have it when i need it is now gone.
Good luck on the HIM!
2006-01-31 12:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
I should have added...get a few weeks rest off the foot and then take care of your foot until you need it.

No running on pavement. Sand would be good. New shoes? Chop your milage after the rehab time to a bare minimum. Then if you want to race all summer...take it easy on the foot in the March HIM.
2006-01-31 1:47 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Kids tend to be faster bone healers than adults, but in general, it takes about 8 weeks for a broken bone to heal.  There is no way you can speed up the healing, but there are plenty of ways you can slow it down.

1. Don't re-injure it.  Swimming, cycling (with stiff soled shoes), and aquajogging are all in your near future!
  2. Get plenty of rest (i.e. 8 hours of sleep a night)
  3. Get adequate nutrition...probably a non-issue for you.
  4. Wear the stiff soled shoe all the time (no cheating
  5. The ice and anti-inflammatories won't help bone healing, but will make it feel better in the meantime. 
Like his advice or not, your doc didn't make up the rules about how your body heals, but if you don't listen to it, you're bound to be in even more trouble. 

2006-01-31 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
I got a stress fracture in my 5th metetarsal (a Jones fracture) supposedly the hardest to heal. I couldn't really see it on the Xray either, the doc said they are usually hard to see. At the time, I was training for my first 10k and was hoping to still run it (I probably had 6-8 wks before the race). I did not have to wear a cast, or any kind of support. I think he mentioned stiff shoes, but I can't remember. He did recommend aqua jogging, but wondering about cycling--is that putting to much pressure on it? For me, I could feel it, so I avoided cycling. But, no running...at all. For something like 3-4 weeks, and then I had another appt with him. I think I was able to run/walk after that, but really had to take it slow, no hard pounding or anything. Good luck, and hope it heals soon!

2006-01-31 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
I cut my stress fracture healing time by about 1/3 to 1/2 with **acupuncture** and a lot of BORING pool running. Also, make sure you get plenty of calcium, vitamin D, and other good nutrition. Look for an acupuncturist who has experience with runners if you can find one.

Pool running sucks, but it can keep you in running form better than other things. The founder of USAFit marathon training ran Western States 100 mile ultra with about 80-90% pool training due to bad hips.

Whatever you do, don't try to run thru the pain. It can only make things worse.

Good luck, I think you can do it!

AB
2006-01-31 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Thanks for posting and the warning for others....most of us don't know we flirt with injury so easily...good luck on your recovery!
2006-01-31 9:57 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm embarking on "water-running" this morning. I'm really trying to think positively. I broke a collarbone 7 years ago and it healed in 5 weeks (I was told 6-8 weeks) drinking lots of milk and taking care of it, so I'm hoping the same fortune falls on me here. I don't want to start my tri season with a DNS, but I also don't want to re-injure myself.
Cycling doesn't hurt at all, and for my road bike, I have carbon-soled stiff shoes. I am able to mash hills on the mountain bike too without pain, so I think I'll try to keep doing what doesn't hurt. Hopefully it works out!

Edited by TriBodyboarder 2006-01-31 9:59 AM
2006-01-31 10:05 AM

User image

Elite

I had a really bad stress fracture about 28 years ago.  It was extremely painful.  I became a heel-striker after it healed in about 2 months.  I have never given any thought to going back to forefoot strike.

TW

2006-01-31 12:34 PM
in reply to: #335507

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

TriBodyboarder - 2006-01-31 10:57 AM Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm embarking on "water-running" this morning. I'm really trying to think positively. I broke a collarbone 7 years ago and it healed in 5 weeks (I was told 6-8 weeks) drinking lots of milk and taking care of it, so I'm hoping the same fortune falls on me here. I don't want to start my tri season with a DNS, but I also don't want to re-injure myself. Cycling doesn't hurt at all, and for my road bike, I have carbon-soled stiff shoes. I am able to mash hills on the mountain bike too without pain, so I think I'll try to keep doing what doesn't hurt. Hopefully it works out!

You won't know exactly the moment it's healed...maybe 5,6,7 8 weeks?  It will hurt less, but the body is pretty amazing in that the bones continue to remodel continuously strengthening the previously fractured area.  Kids are so amazign that even if bones are not "set" they will freqeutnly straighten themselves out with time.  

It is not just a matter of the bone being completely healed, as in new bone formation at teh former site of the break, but also the former break site being strong enough not to refracture.  Breaking a collerbone is hard to do unless you fall directly on it, so being "healed" at five weeks is a fair comment unless you reinjure it at 5 weeks and 1 day in which case it willprobably snap at the same place.

A foot fracture on the other hand will receive continuous stress even if you don't repeat the same stress that caused the origininal fracture.  

A true Jones fracture is one of the worst types of foot fractures you can get because the blood supply to the fractured fragment is weak, and "non-union" or non healing is a major concern, which would ultimately lead to surgery for correction.

So you are doing the right thing by starting to focus on the pool running and road bikign in carbon fiber shoes.  Much better to start the season a month later and be healthy than to ruin your whole summer by rushing things.  Don't forget, for the rest of us (non-californians), we havn't even started riding outside by March, much less starting our tri season! 

2006-01-31 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
Stress Fractures suck. I had one in my fibula. Of all the bones it was my stinking fibula. I was out for long enough to ruin the rest of my track season. I did do a lot of water running and swimming though, that stuff didn't aggravate the fracture.
2006-01-31 3:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Thanks guys! The bone is totally aligned and that's two weeks after the fracture. As mentioned, I'm still cycling 100 miles/week, swimming 4000 yards, and as of today, water-running what will amount to around 2 1/2 hours/week. I'm just hoping to be able to finish now at the 70.3 in 6 weeks where before I was hoping to finish in a particular goal time. I'm really going to continue to think positive here.
2006-01-31 7:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I am freshly recovered from a stress fracture in my hip took 7 months to heal.  BE CAREFUL
2006-01-31 7:41 PM
in reply to: #336015

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Holy crap...that's a bit disconcerting! I'm hoping a little stress fracture in my middle toe would heal faster than one in a hip (smaller bone). 7 months would RUIN me! I've already paid for like 8 races this season!
2006-01-31 7:47 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
ahh yeah.  It pretty much sucked.  I can say I ran my first oly on a busted hip (didn't know it was broken just HURT)  Hip is a bigger bone.  I hate to throw water on you but It could take up to 3 months to heal.  BE GOOD.  rest as much as possible.  Swim and bike LOTS.  Aqua jogging.  Try elliptical if it doesnt' hurt....oh yeah I'm an orthopedist (yeah I know a bone doc with a busted hip)  So I actually know what I am talking about.  Adventure bear is a doc too.

2006-01-31 7:50 PM
in reply to: #336021

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
This shows you my history, but I don't even know what an elliptical trainer is. I don't go to gyms, but I did start aqua-jogging today and have continued my normal cycling/swimming training. Here's to miracles (like miraculously fast healing) and thanks for your advice!
2006-01-31 8:40 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
hope you heal quickly. looks like there's a lot of good advice here. take care.
2006-01-31 11:15 PM
in reply to: #336044

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Thanks very much Autumn!
2006-01-31 11:17 PM

User image

Damn, know how hard you worked last season.  Heal up, so you can rock come August
2006-01-31 11:29 PM
in reply to: #336109

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Right on Chris. I'm hoping to be rocking come March!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress Fracture...oh no! Rss Feed