United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 58s
Overall Rank = 89/347
Age Group = M 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 15/33
Pre-race routine:

Pre race nutrition was the usual - Cliff Bar, Whey Gatorade Mix, and Red Bull. I was going on crap sleep over the past 3 nights. Last night I didn't get to bed until 2:30, so the 6:30 wake up call wasn't my idea of fun.
Event warmup:

Almost zero warm up. By the time I got out of the bathroom line it was time for the race to start.
Run
  • 1h 43m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

When I woke, it was pouring outside and I considered bagging the race. I was a little concerned about the humidity as I am not a good humid runner. Temps were in the 50's and humid, but it did stop raining before the start. My goal for the race was sub 1:50 and I figured I could go high 1:40's. My plan was to run 8:10ish pace.

When the gun sounded I was at the back of the pack. It was a small race so passing didn't prove to be too much of a problem. The only problem I had at first is my I-pod stopped working within the first half mile. I was pretty sure it was charged, but it just stopped. First mile was something like 7:35 - too fast! I continued to mess with my I-pod during Mile 2, with no avail. Finally I put it away. Mile 2 & 3 were both 7:30 - 7:40 - still too fast and I could feel it. Finally at Mile 4, I slowed down and found my 8 flat pace. My new pace goal was to see how long I could hold this. At the half way turn my lungs were coming back and I felt much better now that I slowed down. Things were going pretty smooth during the middle miles and I found different pacing partners along the way. About Mile 8 I started to calculate my projected finish time and I realized that if I held 8's I could go sub 1:45, a goal I didn't even have in my mind at the start of the race. About Mile 10 I started to really tire and my hip started to flare up a little. That being said as I reached Mile 11, I was still on pace. This is when I really started feeling bad, but I could taste a huge PR ( or maybe I just threw up in my mouth a little ;) ) I held on the last 2 miles, but these 2 miles were just as hard as the last 2 miles of the Disney Marathon. I crossed Mile 13 at around 1:43 and realized that I was going to do it. Final chip time - 1:43:58 - a PR by over 7 minutes. Wow, not what I expected at all!

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I had nothing left in the tank at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, caught my breath, and found my friend who came to see me finish.

Event comments:

2nd annual race - I will do it again next year.

Last updated: 2006-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:58 | 13.1 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/33
Overall: 89/347
Performance: Good
First 3 miles were 7:30 - 7:40's. After that, I settled right into an 8 flat pace, only varying by 3 or 4 seconds either way.
Course: Out and back along Ocean View. Not a 'pretty' course, but I always seem to run well here for the Norfolk Half and Chesapeake 10k.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-02-04 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: East Beach Norfolk Half Marathon

2006-02-05 12:57 PM
in reply to: #338870

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: East Beach Norfolk Half Marathon
Awesome job with your PR; especially since you are still recovering from WDW. Enjoy some rest and get ready for Shamrock!
2006-02-06 1:22 PM
in reply to: #338870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis
Subject: RE: East Beach Norfolk Half Marathon

Dang! I remember when we were running right around the same kind of pace. You've done some serious work this year, my man. Congrats on yet another PR, and yet another fantastic race! Boston, here you come!

I enjoyed the the taste of vomit comment, too!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » East Beach Norfolk Half Marathon Rss Feed