General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather gear????? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-05 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
Subject: Cold weather gear?????
I got up this morning for my long Sunday ride. It was around 50 degrees. Pretty COOL for me.
I realized that I did not have anything to wear on the bike that would keep me warm.

So I pulled some sweats over my shorts.
A long sleeve t-shirt under my jersey.
A jacket.
Some brown jersey gloves over my cycling gloves.
A knit cap under my helmet.
Long cotton socks.(yea, the white ones)

You get the picture. I looked like and idiot. And I was not very comfortable in this get-up.
After half an hour, I finally started to warm up. So now I have all this extra clothing, and nowhere to put it. I saw the people riding with the special cycling tights and headwear. But does this keep you warm? Do you have to take it off when you get hot?

My question is, how do you combat the cold mornings?

Thanks

Snookdude

2006-02-05 9:15 AM
in reply to: #339060

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Cold weather gear?????
I have not done much cycling yet, but I have been known to take the occasional midnight run, which can certainly be cold. If I walk out the door and I'm not cool, then I go inside and shed a layer. I figure on the first ten minutes at least being pretty cool. I always wear things that can be adjusted or shed quickly: jackets or jerseys with long zippers, hats with a neck gaiter, so I can give it a tug and not lose it, etc. I am nice and warm for the bulk of my workout, then, as I cool down, I can start adding things on again: pull the hat or hood up, zip up the jacket, etc. But my key is not overdressing to start with. Hopefully, you won't have to deal with too many more cold mornings!
2006-02-05 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Brrr.... This year my coldest ride was about 38F I think, I had frost forming on me! But, but I learned two things as the weather kept getting colder: 1. all those little biker gadgets DO work to a point (38F was my "point"!), and 2. weekly trips to your lbs endear you to the workers.

Depending on how cold you feel, try arm and leg warmers - tubes that you pull on and that can fit in your jersey pockets when you take them off. The best part is that the leg warmers don't change how you sit on your seat - which brings me to the next level.
When it got colder, I tried some bike tights that cut the wind. Oh, what a difference - they were great! The only problem is that they had a seam in the crotch and tended to slip around a bit more than my shorts between me and the seat. I also got a running top that cuts wind - it feels like cloth but really is much more comfy in the cold wind. I dug out my old old old bike jacket which is polypro on the back and windbreaker on the front, got some long-finger gloves and some neoprene booties for my cold toes - and yes, that funny little beanie under my helmet made a huge difference. Some of this stuff is little and you can stow it in your pockets as you peel it off, others like the jacket and tights - not sure, I kept them on for the entire ride.
Anyway, good luck, it's not much fun to be cold on the bike!
2006-02-05 9:45 AM

Pro
yep,

For the bike usually I wear compression shorts from UnderArmour and then my biking bibs, and then a pair of running tights.  For my upper half I usually wear a Cold Gear UnderArmour shirt and a jersey, with gloves over my biking gloves. 

The worst day I rode in was probably a 40 degree day, and the winds were 20-25mph, and 30 mph gusts.  Needless to say thank god for my cousin to let me borrow a bunch of stuff of his so I wouldn't die.  

I ended up borrowing booties, a head warmer thing ( i know great terms), and a jacket.

So I ended up with two cold gear shirt tops a jersey and a jacket.  I was quite warm and didn't really sweat all that much or didn't really feel it but atleast I wasn't cold.

2006-02-05 9:53 AM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Cold Gear by underarmour! I have running tights and mock turtleneck and I have ridden in 15 degree weather with just a light jacket on. I was sweating when I got home. Highly recommended. And to make it complete, a tactical hood will keep the face warm.

(MyPicture.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
MyPicture.jpg (67KB - 53 downloads)
(0KB - 33 downloads)
2006-02-05 10:18 AM

User image

Champion
MA

A tip from Ken's Evolution Running book is to warm up inside before going out in the cold to run but take it to cycling as well. Do something 5-10 minutes inside to build up a little sweat and then go so you won't get cold right off the bat and take 30 minutes to warm up again.

Riding in 50 degrees is warm for this time of year up here in MA. It is all what you are used to.

What I wear is usually a wicking sleevless shirt, a long sleeve cycling shirt must be wicking and I tend to pick too warm of one, and a Brooks running/cycling jacket with pockets to put things.  Bottoms my cycling shorts and some great Pearl Izumi long tights that are wind resistent on the front and normal on the back they are called Amphi something...great at keeping me warm but also keeping me dry.

On my feet I have neoprene booties from Performance, gloves I have different options including liners and lobster mittens from LL Bean or just warmer Pearl Izumi gloves. On my head I either wear a skull cap wicking fabric thing or a wicking Pearl Izumi headband.

It is a bit strange to feel both hot and cold at the same time. Plus the wind is what gets me cold the most and makes a difference in a 35 degree pleasant or unpleasant ride.

I hope it dries up here it is in the 50's and I'm itching to go out but the roads are very wet.

2006-02-05 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Livermore, Ca
I would go with (1) a wicking layer to get the sweat away from you (2) and then get a windproof layer to stop the wind.
2006-02-05 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
Naperville, IL
Now your talking my language. Just returned from my 50 miler. High temp today of 28f. 15 to 25mph winds. I was nice and toasty! Of course I had to drop about $1000 to get that way. Yes it works, and I've never had to stop and take layers off. Unzipping the coat does just fine. You can find this stuff at many sites (as you probably know). I loaded up at performane bike: http://www.performancebike.com/index.cfm.

Biggest deal for me was my hands (lobster gloves) and feet (Pearl Izumi toaster bootie).

(Toasty (Medium).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Toasty (Medium).JPG (95KB - 39 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather gear????? Rss Feed