General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feedback on Michigan area races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-09 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: Feedback on Michigan area races
This will be my first season and I would like to do a bunch of Sprints in the michigan area. I would like to list a bunch of races I am considering and ask for y'alls feedback (like good or bad race, don't waste your time etc). Thanks a whole buch for any input. Here we go:

6/4 - Seahorse
6/11 - Running for Recovery (sylvania, OH)
6/18 - Big Fish (Ortonville)
7/2 - Tri in the Buff (It's in Buffalo so I don't expect feedback but I like the name)
7/23 - YMCA Happy Trails
8/6 - Greenfield (Clarkston, MI)
8/20 - Three Rivers (location?)
9/10 - Stoney Creek (Rochester, MI)

I won't be doing all 8 but would like to do 5 or 6.

Thanks,

Rick

2006-02-09 9:37 PM
in reply to: #342617

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Feedback on Michigan area races
I have only done one of them, Three Rivers. It is south of Kalamazoo. It is a really fun coarse with lots of hills. The bike coarse is described as when you are horizontal you are at the turn around. There is a funny frenchman as the race director and he works with one of the wet suit companies. They will find a place in that lake cold enough to allow wetsuits. but in general the lake is really warm. The food afterward is good eating, not just bannanas, but a large grill going. The distance if a full Olympic. Well run event. I am pretty sure that it is on my schedual this year.
2006-02-10 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
i've done the seahorse and stoney dus, the seahorse has more hills and is a trail run, stoney is pretty cool, BIG bike loops, which is nice.  i believe the water is uphill at both locations.
2006-02-12 8:35 PM

Veteran
Michigan

I did Stoney Creek last year.  There was a section of the swim with a lot of weeds but other then that I thought it was a good race.  One note, they are doing road construction in the park this summer so the race may be moved to a different location.  I also did another race that isn't on your list.  My first Sprint was Island Lake in Novi.  It was a really good race - well run, clean water, fairly flat bike course and a nice out and back run course. 

I want to add a few more races this year too so I will be checking back here to see if anyone else has any feedback on other good races in the area.

2006-02-14 10:02 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Seahorse:  Good location, trail run (3.1 mile loop), last year suffered from organizer issues - lack of water on the run for later finishers, but it's the season kickoff and we're all doing it. 

Big Fish and Craig Greenfield:  Both Awesome.  I didn't run 'em, but I jockstrapped both of them...well organized, great venues.  I'd highly recommend both, and I'm doing Greenfield and am considering Big Fish.  I'd do it for sure if my schedule will accommodate.

Stony:  As stated by Kim and Trix, it's a good race.  It will be bigger than the other two, with a wider range of participants.  You get the championchip folks that are pushing for points to win the series, and you have lotsa beginners because it's really close to Detroit proper, and a lot of first timers show.  It's well organized.  It's a go for me this year as well. 

2006-03-08 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

Depending on where you are in MI, you may want to consider races in Ontario. Within an hour of Detroit there are races in Windsor, Leamington, Colchester, Sarnia, and Rondeau. If you are willing to drive 3 hours into Ontario you can find a race pretty much every weekend all summer.

Dave

2006-03-08 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
I've done Seahorse twice...was very frustrated at the run the first year (I wasn't prepared for a trail run at all!). Last year seemed to go pretty well. The swim isn't too weedy and the ride is a great course.

I have to plug the Shermanator tri (in Augusta...halfway between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo) if you haven't heard about it. Last year they did a 5k, a sprint, and an Oly. It is a great course with lots of rolling hills and takes place around 2 beautiful lakes. I think the date this year is either August 5th or 6th and is at the Sherman Lake YMCA. That's my favorite race!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feedback on Michigan area races Rss Feed