General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition for first Triathalon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-11 2:47 PM

Subject: Nutrition for first Triathalon
I am a female competetive 5k-half marathon runner and I am training for my first triathalon. It is a half ironman and I was wondering how much and what I need to be eating to maintain my weight as well as continue to perform well. I am 5'5 103lbs. Recently I have found my workouts to be more difficult to finish and I was wondering if it is because I am not eating enough, or maybe not the right foods. If anyone has any suggestions on nutrition, please let me know! Thanks!

2004-05-11 8:29 PM
in reply to: #24260

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: RE: Nutrition for first Triathalon
There is SOOO much information (and much of it helpful) out there for you!!

But recently, I was reading Brian Shea's article on this site, and hopped on over to his website www.PersonalBestNutrition.com to check it out and found it very helpful.

Brian is a competitive age-group 1/2 and Full IM-er. He'll be competing at Kona in 2004. Even more insightful to me was a copy of his Ironman Florida Race Report, which did a step by step of what he did, pretty much in 15 minute increments.

And as to training, you train (nutritionally) practically like you would race. You will burn more calories as you race, so you can tone it down some, but you want your body used to consuming all of those nutritional aspects on the course. Your body seems especially sensitive on race day and it doesn't want new stuff.

I'm looking for a link to the race report, just a sec. while I try to find it... here we go:

http://personalbestnutrition.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=news;...

Dana

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition for first Triathalon Rss Feed