General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprained Ankle???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-11 11:03 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Sprained Ankle????
OK... I twisted my ankle running today. I stepped off the shoulder of this crappy road and BAM! down I went.

It's sore... but I can walk on it. Some of the movements of my foot make it hurt more than others.

I have NEVER done anything like this to my ankle. Is this something that I should be worried about, or should I just not run in until it feels 100%.

Does anyone go to the Dr. when they twist their ankle?

I know this all sounds really silly... but I am in a 10 week tri training program (paid for it!), and running already my weak event... I simply can't imagine not running this week even.

Would I do more damage if I run on it... even though I couldn't muster the strength to do it right now due to the pain... but when I feel like I can run on it... will it make it stronger? Or hurt it more.

Thanks in advance for any wonderful advice you give.

2006-02-11 11:15 PM
in reply to: #343893

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Subject: RE: Sprained Ankle????
Get an Aqua Running belt, and "run" in the pool until the ankle feels better. You'll keep your run fitness and be able to pick up where you left off on the road!
2006-02-12 12:27 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-02-12 7:01 AM

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Ice, Ice, and more Ice. If its still painful today, I would suggest a dr. As someone who has sprained many ankles, you don't want to aggravate it. Short term, its usually a minor injury but if you don't let it heal properly it can become a problem. Usually the Dr just wraps it with ace bandage, but I have 2 severe enough that they put a walking cast on it.
2006-02-12 9:21 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Thanks for all the replies and helpful advice.

I just wonder if it's sprained... or tender. It feels better today... although I don't have complete mobility in it.

The ice will be on it today... and hopefully I will be 100% in a couple of days!

2006-02-12 9:33 AM

Champion
MA

Those dang crappy shoulders!!

Sorry about your injury...it stinks.

I sprained my ankle playing soccer 12-19...actually I was kicked in the ankle and tripped. My ankle swelled up a lot and turned colors that night. I did the RICE thing, but could barely walk so I went to the doctors and the hosptial for x-rays. Nothing was found but a bad sprain. Now more than 1.5 months later my ankle is still swollen. You probably don't want to hear this but I couldn't run for more than 3 weeks, but when I went back to it, I hadn't lost anything and my long runs were actually faster which surprised me but I had been cross training and perhaps being well rested helped as well.

Running is my worst sport as well and was very frustrated not to be able to run....and just wanted to get out there since I am training for a 1/2 Mary and had just gotten over being sick. By running before you are healed, you can prolong your injury and have it really ruin your tri season.

When you go back to running if you have any pain stop running. Start very easy with short runs like 10-15'.

May you heal quickly!

2006-02-12 11:11 AM
in reply to: #343975

Champion
Dallas, TX
KathyG - 2006-02-12 9:33 AM

Those dang crappy shoulders!!

Sorry about your injury...it stinks.

I sprained my ankle playing soccer 12-19...actually I was kicked in the ankle and tripped. My ankle swelled up a lot and turned colors that night. I did the RICE thing, but could barely walk so I went to the doctors and the hosptial for x-rays. Nothing was found but a bad sprain. Now more than 1.5 months later my ankle is still swollen. You probably don't want to hear this but I couldn't run for more than 3 weeks, but when I went back to it, I hadn't lost anything and my long runs were actually faster which surprised me but I had been cross training and perhaps being well rested helped as well.

Running is my worst sport as well and was very frustrated not to be able to run....and just wanted to get out there since I am training for a 1/2 Mary and had just gotten over being sick. By running before you are healed, you can prolong your injury and have it really ruin your tri season.

When you go back to running if you have any pain stop running. Start very easy with short runs like 10-15'.

May you heal quickly!

I will say that your ankle sounds like it was WAY WORSE than mine is right now. I have a slight bruise and little bit of swelling.

Start easy with 10-15 minute runs.... UUUUMMMM... I can't even run a straight 15 minutes right now (outside, but I can on a treadmill! HA!

I guess now I have a reason for not running very well... huh? *smile*
2006-02-12 4:44 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
BEsides what Lara advised, the only thing a doctor would do in addition is take an x-ray to make sure it's not broken, but based on your description of it, it really doesn't sound like it is. Sprains are graded by degree of how much damage there is to the ligaments and tendons that hold the ankle together. The worst sprains are frequenly treated like fractures (casts & so forth).

As usual, if it doesn't improve fairly quickly, it won't hurt ot go see a doctor.

P.S. I actually am a doctor, and the only night I stayed at a holiday inn express I ended up in the emergency room as a patient the next day!
2006-02-12 5:16 PM

Expert
Wilmington, NC

I'm NOT a doctor, but have "crappy ankles" (a medical diagnosis, BTW). I have sprained, strained, broken (without knowing it) BOTH ankles in that last 30 years so many times I've lost count.

Don't try to run on it until it is PAIN free. You've probably just strained it, but running is very hard on knees and ankles. You run the risk of folding up over it trying to run too soon and making the injury considerably worse.

That said - WALK your planned runs. If you are early in training, and don't run very well anyway, walking will help build your aerobic base almost as much. Walk at a good clip, but don't even think jog until your ankle no longer even twinges.

Prevention?!? start doing some legs weight training. Lunges are great. You need to strengthen the muscles around your ankles so that they can keep your ankle straight. And they work. I started serious weight training almost 2 years ago, and Tri training just over a year ago. Every other time I've tried to run any distance within days I've folded an ankle under and sidelined myself again. This time, I've only had ankle trouble twice. It HAS to be the strength training. 

2006-02-12 9:11 PM

Expert
I'm not a doctor. My mother, however, is a nurse. Whenever I have more seriously hurt my ankle or knee or whatever and I've been home, she has taken a look at my injury. From her, I have learned that can move the body part, however painful it might be, chances are it is not broken. That is not to say that you can't have suffered a serious injury to a ligament or tendon or something, something that might need medical attention and possibly surgery.
But in your case, as you can walk and thus don't really need crutches, there is little a doctor can do for you other than tell you to follow RICE. If it is still bothering you in a couple of weeks or gets worse, then maybe it might be time to go to the doctor. Right now, and probably when you first are able to start running again, when the pain is gone (if your ankle is still sore, you are just risking further injury), you are going to want to wear a brace on your ankle just to give it some extra support. You just need to focus on getting better now. When you are better, you might want to try some barefoot running/walking on grass or the flat sand of a beach to strenthen the muscles around your ankle, so you might not get injured as easily in the future.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprained Ankle???? Rss Feed