General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One month left and training hard enough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-12 10:51 AM

Kansas
Subject: One month left and training hard enough?

I’ve basically have one month left until my first Triathlon.  I’m starting to feel that I haven’t trained hard enough.  Especially now that I’ve been off for two weeks from a knee injury (swimming only).  Is this a normal feeling?  I think I could have pushed a little harder, maybe not.

2004-05-12 10:57 AM
in reply to: #24426

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: One month left and training hard enough?
How do you feel? If you feel like you can go harder and it will benefit you to go harder, go harder. If you feel like you're better off nursing the injury a bit more while staying active enough to do your tri, then take it slow. Listen to your body ... it'll tell you what to do. Good luck!
2004-05-12 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
I hope it's fairly normal, because I feel that way too. My first race is June 6, and I find myself often wondering if I'm training hard enough. I sometimes get a momentary panicked feeling that I'm going to get to the race and be exhausted before the swim is even over. But I always just tell myself that I won't know for sure if I'm training "right" until the first race comes and goes and I see first hand how things went. For now I just train so that I'm definitely working hard but not killing myself and/or further injuring my knees. After my first race I can adjust as needed.

Kelly
2004-05-12 11:45 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
Me too!
2004-05-12 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa

I think this nmust be pretty normal - I'm also June 6 for first event and wondering the same things - dead after the swim?  or before the swim is over? How much more can I push it these last three weeks and four days?

My hunch is that I'm in the kind of shape today I will be in when June 6 comes. I'm hoping to improve just a wee bit and maybe even shave of a few seconds here and there - but I think we can expect to be essentially where we are today - AND - we're in it for the fun - right?  I'm trying to get into the Nike zone - "Just do it.. and have some fun." I'm headed for the pool in a few and am thinking to see how slow I can swim

2004-05-12 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
All I can say is becareful not to over train and remember your taper.. these things are just as important as the original training.

If you feel you can go a little harder or a little farther then by all means go for it.

But just remember the old standard.

Everything in Moderation --Including Moderation

A lot of peeps out there have thought during a race they could go harder just to blow up on the run.

Roy

2004-05-12 5:56 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
I've been driving myself crazy with the same thing.
2004-05-13 12:58 PM

St. Petersburg, FL
I feel the exact same way! I have 2 months and am FREAKING OUT!!! I am worried that I won't be able to finish and finish in a time I think is "appropriate"....my husband keeps saying....YOU ARE NOT HAVING FUN...ISN'T THIS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN?! He is right...we have to RELAX and ENJOY ourselves. We are prepared...we will finish. And this is the 1st...we fear the unknown....

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
2004-05-13 5:57 PM

New user
Same here... I have two months and if I miss a workout I get nervous. I keep looking to squeeze more in, but I know to train smarter, not harder. My friend blew out his knee trying to do too much the few weeks before his event. I'm sure you'll be ready.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One month left and training hard enough? Rss Feed