General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight training - Friel's Max Strength phase....oy! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-17 4:00 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: Weight training - Friel's Max Strength phase....oy!
I started following Friel's Training Bible plan this year for my Half IM in May. Everything going along fine, but then it was time to increase the weights to his "Max Strength" phase. Ow! I'm totally fatigued all the time now. While I'm lifting, I can lift the weights fine - sure it's a workout, but I don't feel like I hit the "can't do anymore" point. But it seems for 2-3 days after, I still have tired muscles, and then it's time to lift again. Worse, I'm feeling some new pains - right knee, left calf/achilles, left shoulder.

I'm planning on cutting the weight back to what it was before. I had been doing that for about 6 weeks and I felt good - like I was getting stronger, but not breaking down.

By the way, I actually do more exercises than he suggests. 20 mins each of upper/lower/core.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Wally

2006-02-17 4:47 PM
in reply to: #348568

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Weight training - Friel's Max Strength phase....oy!
Since you've read his book, I'll assume you know everything you should about base training, anatomical adaptation, when and how best to increase intensity -- the works. I'll skip straight to the topic of delayed-onset muscle soreness (which is what you're feeling 2-3 days later) and what works for me.

1. Stretching lots after doing weights. Some people say it does nothing for them, but for me, it's important.

2. Ice, ice, and more ice. I love a good ice bath right after a workout, and find it is extremely helpful in preventing muscle soreness.

3. Nutrition. While in the ice bath, I eat something that has that all-important carb-to-protein ratio we're all talking about, plus as many antioxidants as possible. And in general, eat as much fruit and veg as you can handle. It's all good stuff for muscle repair.

4. Traumeel cream. It's a homeopathic, herbal hippie preparation. Rub it on your muscles after a workout, and witness its magical sorness preventing/relieving powers.

Best of luck to you!
2006-02-17 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

I have not read the book but it sounds like overtraining.  Overtraining is not giving youself enough rest between workouts ie working out chest everyday.

I would NOT cut the weight.  In fact, increase weight but make sure that you have several days before you hit that muscle group again.  It will work.  You will feel and be very strong.

I suggest doing 4 sets of 4.  When I'm done I dont feel that tired.

2006-02-18 5:24 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

By the way, I actually do more exercises than he suggests. 20 mins each of upper/lower/core.

Any thoughts?

>>>yup - stick to the plan. Ease into the MS phase gradually. You can also do MS 1x per week and keep the other day an AA day. If you are tired going into the 2nd lifting session, you aren't recovered. If you aren't recovered you aren't getting any benefit out of the 2nd session and you are just driving yourself into the ground. Train Smart. People always try to do more then they should. The most successful athletes that I coach, are the ones who do EXACTLY what the plan says and don't vary from it. That is discipline. That is what is takes to succeed. :-)

Good Luck.

2006-02-18 6:11 PM

Regular
Texas
Also, how fast are you throwing the weights around. If you take your time and concentrate on slow movements and good form.

That works for me. Heavy weights slow constant movements.

Don't slam up and and down. tears too much.
2006-02-18 6:18 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
What are you doing for recovery nutrition?  For intense lifting sessions I would suggest a carb-heavy recovery drink based primarily on simple sugars...as soon as possible after lifting.  The goal is to quickly transport carbs and other nutrients into the damaged muscles.  I would also suggest including glutamine and creatine in that recovery drink.  Within about 60-90min of that recovery drink you should be looking to have a completel meak with complex carbs and a good portion of lean protein (assuming you eat meat).  I also typically have a protein shake immediately before bed on days that I lift heavy.  It's important that your body has nutrients for recovery and muscle repair while you are sleeping since that's when the majority of recovery happens anyway.

2006-02-18 6:24 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
some very good advice there. Thanks!

I have started doing recovery drinks after workouts this past week - so maybe that'll help. Will start stretching after too, and doing MS during only 1 of the sessions...DUH!!!... why didn't I think of that. Ease into this phase - what a novel concept! ; )

Thanks again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight training - Friel's Max Strength phase....oy! Rss Feed