General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Goal to Half IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-18 9:16 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Prairie, Texas
Subject: IM Goal to Half IM
I have a right knee "challenge" that has made my running hard nearly impossible, but running long possible. On the dreadmill this morning while going for my marathon training plan of 12 miles (set back week) my knee really gave me problems. Some of you may have seen my "dreadmill" post earlier!! This is the first time I had to cut a run short (I only got to 7 miles and had to quit!). I really bummed out about this.

Now I must reconsider my full marathon goal, which was to establish my full IM goal. I wonder if you have faced this? The swim, nothing to me! (former US Navy Diver), the bike, nothing to me, but the run has been my hold out. Now with a knee dragging me down, I believe I must recalibrate my goals from the full IM to the Half IM. I have completed Oly tri's and half marathons up to this point with.

What's a triathete to do?

2006-02-18 10:14 PM
in reply to: #349149

User image

Veteran
Woodbridge, VA
Subject: RE: IM Goal to Half IM
I am in the same spot and literally feel your pain, except in the left knee (ITB issue). I have taken almost a month off from running but have been swimming and riding trying to hold onto my fitness for the upcoming marathon in St Louis. Good luck.....
2006-02-18 10:24 PM

User image

Expert
I don't know how many days a week you are running, but maybe you could try running just 2-4 days a week, supplemented by more biking, the eliptical trainer etc. I know there are marathon plans out there that involve "minimal" running for people who simply can't handle all the running involved in a regular marathon training plan.
2006-02-19 7:41 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
There is nothing that requires you to do a full marathon prior to doing an IM race. You can do it for your own piece of mind if you want, but the run portion of an IM race and a stand alone marathon are completely different. That being said, get your knee looked at, you probably have ITBS or maybe something in your stride that is affecting your knee. Have you replaced your shoes lately? Have you been professionally fitted for a pair of shoes? These are also things that can cause knee pain. If you are good on the swim and bike portion then go for the IM, you can walk the run part if you need too.
2006-02-19 8:02 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
It is better to back off now and let the injury heal than keep pushing and have it become chronic.  It's REALLY hard to back off something you had your heart set on.  But do you want to miss one race now?  Or all of next season?
2006-02-19 2:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
As someone who has a stress fracture in my foot that is just about healed, aqua running helped immensely in maintaining my run fitness! Check into it:
www.aquarunning.com

2006-02-20 11:02 AM

New user

Let the marathon go.

The same thing happened to me this year, I was making my attempt at a march marathon in anticipation of IM Florida. I was doing great until a good friend was in the hospital for five weeks and my consistency suffered. I was still trying and had a horrible totally random knee thing happen. I decided the marathon just is not worth it. I figure for IM if I can get to 16, worst case I can walk the last ten.

I'm just not cut out for marathons and I don't want to kill my knee (or ankles -- some chronic stuff).

Depending on how far you are, you might be wise to give it a rest.

I kind of felt better once I made the decision. And I got to get back on the bike, hit the pool. I also learned so much about what I have to do to get to the marathon (beacuse of all the failures -- this is my 3rd failed attempt due to various injuries).

Good luck.

Edited by tela_g 2006-02-20 11:04 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Goal to Half IM Rss Feed