General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot injury - how long to rebuild running base Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-22 7:49 AM

New user

Durham, NC
Subject: foot injury - how long to rebuild running base
i am new to all of this. had a decent running base for 5Ks but was not a super runner or anything. last summer started increasing my distance. did it too fast i think. went to 10K distance pretty quickly. due to so much cross training i was cardiovascularly ready but i don't think the muscles in my legs were ready. started getting shin splits and other mild annoying discomforts. ignored it and kept running. got worse. ignored it kept running. serves me right for ignoring it. i ended up with a stress fracture in my right foot. i think the biomechanics of my run gait were altered by the muscular discomfort. so i was finally willing to stop running. didn't run from jan 5 until yesterday (february 21). did other things so as not to lose all cardiovascular fitness (eg. swimming, elliptical). yesterday i walked 5 minutes then ran 10 walked 10 ran 10 walked 10. no pain during or after. i am SOOOO EXCITED that i can finally start running again. my question is, how slowly should i build back up to my 10K base? i really didn't have a base at 10K so i should say how long to build back up to 5K and how long should i run at 5K before i start increasing and how long should the increase take to get up to 10K?

thanks!

2006-02-22 2:40 PM
in reply to: #351745

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Subject: RE: foot injury - how long to rebuild running base
I'd suggest taking a read through some of the training plans on this website, there's a "couch to 5K - aggressive" and a "couch to 5K - conservative" or something like that. Generally, I'd be careful about using the "it doesn't hurt so I can do more" approach, it seems that it takes a few weeks of over-training before the signs start to show, and then it seems that it's too late. I think the training plans on here seem conservative, but I think they also have the best chance of getting you to be able to run without pain/injuries.

2006-02-22 5:18 PM
in reply to: #352283

New user

Durham, NC
thanks. that is a great suggestion. i thought about the "couch to ..." training plans but hoped since i wasn't really on the couch, i could be more aggressive. but you are right. i didn't think about the fact that it might take some time for the signs of over-training to show. and i definitely don't want to take time off again.

thanks again and i will check out those plans.

lindsay
2006-02-23 5:39 PM

User image

Central Minnesota
Just curious, did your foot feel like a deep pain inside, perhaps like a knife digging into it?

Please say no... I think I have what you had.

2006-02-23 6:58 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse

Be conservative.

Otherwise, you may meet my friend Lisfranc.
2016-01-16 3:48 PM
in reply to: Guest

I would wait for about a month and a half and just perform stretches at home. There are lots of foot stretches, and they are beneficial, i believe that is what really helped me get rid of my Plantar Fasciitis Once you get ready to run you can loose the risk or seriously injuring yourself.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot injury - how long to rebuild running base Rss Feed