General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for Multiple Tri's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-01 10:39 AM

New user

Subject: Training for Multiple Tri's
Hello All,

I did my first three triathlons last summer and this year, I'm looking to do 4 or 5. Currently my plans are to start the season with 3-4 sprints, and then finish with an Olympic.

The base of my training plan is probably going to be the 16 week beginner 2x balanced plan.

My question is how should I handle the week of a sprint race and the week after a sprint race in the middle of the training plan? Should I insert a taper week from a pre-race sprint training plan each week before a sprint race, and then a week of recovery, then pick back up the Olympic training plan? Or do one taper week before the event, and then jump back into the Olympic training?

Right now the events are pretty evenly spaced, about 4 weeks between events.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

C.P.

2006-03-01 11:49 AM
in reply to: #357674

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Training for Multiple Tri's

Do a mini-taper a few days before the race, take a day or two off afterwards and then continue with the plan.

The mini taper could be as simple as substituting the 2 or 3 days described at the end of your training plan for what's scheduled just before the race. 

2006-03-01 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
If you go grab the "Triathletes Training Bible" it describes how to build your training season around races. You pick a couple of "A" races and build towards them. It will break down how to taper and what to do if you have two "A" races that are a few weeks apart. I believe all of the other races of lesser significance are used as basically tough training days.
2006-03-01 8:34 PM

User image

Veteran
New Haven, Connecticut
I would taper for all of your races. For sprint distance, try half a week. However, during this half-a-week taper you should still exercise, but have the sessions be short and highly intense. After the race, take two days off maybe. This recommendation is of course not specific to your skill set, meaning that if you're tired and sore the week of a race, one-half week might not be enough of a taper. You might need a full week. On the converse, if you're in, or will be in super shape, you might only taper for 2 days before the race, and begin exercising a day after the race with a swim or a recharge bike ride.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for Multiple Tri's Rss Feed